Oceanside Harbor Beach?

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by jjdbike, Dec 22, 2021.

1. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +599
    Hello everyone.
    Please forgive me if this is a spot burn. If it is, please feel free to delete. Also, PM replies might be better.
    I’m thinking out spots for my visit this coming week. Based upon the posts here, bass might be a better target than my obsession halibut. Bass seem to be more hard structure oriented. I remember seeing a bunch of people fishing the Oceanside harbor area. Just the number of people fishing turned me off and I never explored it or considered fishing it.

Just this morning I was thinking, the amount of permanent hard structure might be worth checking out in gray light.

Last spring I busted up my ankle real bad fishing a local MidAtlantic jetty. I am no longer capable of navigating jetties due to restricted movement and I stability due to injury. I say that to say, I can most likely only fish that from the beach.

Is it worth fishing that jetty area from the beach this time of year? Am I correct in assuming that this might be a productive bass area? Am I also correct in assuming that due to easy access and high participation, it’s over fished? Or, is that silly because of population density, all SoCal is overfished?

I’m fine w/ staying south, which is closer & more convenient anyway because I’m staying in Carlsbad. I know there’s structure there too.

Hoping for some input please, even if it’s only in PMs.

Thanks in advance.
    JD

2. afishnsea

afishnsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Name:
    Phil
    All of so cal is highly pressured but the good part is that about 10% of anglers catch 90% of the fish so I say pound away and figure that section out that your limited to. I pull fish from holes that anglers just fished regularly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,611
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Think you will be fine. What you will actually find, is that sand next to hard structure can be amazing for a variety of surf and jetty type fish. The jetties at Ponto are an excellent example of this. Nice calicos, opaleye and zebra perch can be caught there next to the hard stuff, and on the sand adjacent, there can be sand bass, surfperch and halibut.. really depends on your bait and rig... And how close you are willing to fish to that rocky area. If you look on Google, you will also see a reef in the surf about at casting range. All factors for the species at that spot...

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Shane T.

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +507
    Name:
    Shane
    PM me & I'll share a few spots. I try to target Hali's exclusively...99% of the time with the LC.

The area Werfless mentioned is a great one too. That's my "local" beach. Better luck at low / slack tide there.

5. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +599
    Hey werf,
    Thanks man.
    Turns out several summers ago I fished on & next to the south jetty at Ponto w/ a guy I met up w/ from the former local website that shut down. He told me he catches croakers on small Kastmasters. I fished next to the jetty, it was pretty shallow. I caught a small zebra perch on crack. On top of south jetty (can no longer do that unfortunately) l hooked something big that manhandled me. I was drifting a Gulp shrimp in the eddy where the outflow current met the littoral current. Never saw it. Broke line in excitement and panic trying to control it around the rocks. was thinking it was either a big hali or a striper but who knows. It might have been a leopard shark. It didn’t fight like a ray. Definitely pulled drag w/ head shakes.
    I’ve relived and second guessed that fight over & over. If I had only ……
    The things that addict us and keep us going back.Like almost winning a big jackpot for a gambler.
    JD

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,644
    Boat:
    Nitro
    Ohhh, So your that guy!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. afishnsea

afishnsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Name:
    Phil
    So you ASSUME because I said I pull fish from holes others just fished I'm saying I'm better? Well I got news for you, so do quite a few others. By saying it I'm just letting the OP know that it happens often and hopefully give them confidence to break down the spot. The guy can't move around much and it's easy to get discouraged when you see a bunch of locals skunking.

#7 afishnsea, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  8. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,611
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Seems simple enough, jjdbike the kastmaster is a great tool. The krokodile too, really. Probably a big calico taking you into the rocks, seems like most leos and soupies head for open water when hooked, but it's hard to say for certain. afishnsea is right though, in sometimes we don't fish a spot thoroughly enough to really pull fish from a particular hole, sometimes just taking some time with binoculars to look at the current, or to toss a couple chunks of chum in the water will give you an edge to land that day-making fish for sure...

9. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,503
    I'm not a good fisherman, BUT I will fish a spot to death, if I think it's fishy... My fishing buddies are more adventurous the me, but sometimes my hardheadedness pays off big time... I think most all of my success comes because of this, and not any fishing skills I possess...
    Butch

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,611
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    You seem like a damn fishy dude, hate to break it to you, haha... Persistence and instinct are definitely two fishing skills you seem to possess, to me.

11. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,503
    Thanks Daniel... The persistence is there, if nothing else...
    Butch