Oceanside Micros 5/25

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by mattgulptosser, May 26, 2020.

1. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,798
    Short: Slightly stained water, but more or less normal fish activity on the harbor jetty.
    10 or 12 small panfish in afternoon, 2 spotties after dark.
    Long:
    I knew parking on memorial day would be a hassle, but the itch just wouldn't go away. After a looong walk, I arrived at the jetty to far less red tide than I'd last seen. Collected some mussels for use later and started throwing a brand-new jigpara--naturally, a good size bass buried me in the rocks and busted it off after 10 or so casts.
    Tossed some cheaper baits--a kroc, bucktail, plastics--and missed a few bites here and there.

Unsurprisingly, mussel drew the most attention. I got a nice variety of little fish using small split shot and a #12 hook--opaleye, blacksmith, calico, an unfortunate spiky orange fish, sargo, and a kelpfish.
    As the sun climbed down past the outer jetty wall, I put on a dark brown swimbait and nabbed 2 spotties at the channel edge. Next time I do this, I'll get more pictures

IMG_20200525_194636.jpg

IMG_20200525_181559.jpg

IMG_20200525_184512.jpg

2. tbae

tbae Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Nice pics of sunset and fish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,761
    Name:
    Keath
    Appreciate you taking time for posting! Bloodworm inventory is zero, sand crabs are still small, I'll be shuckin some mussles too.

4. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +595
    I know a guy up in Huntington Beach that just (Tuesday last week) ordered some blood worms from back East... Minium order was 100, at $1.60 each... They overnighted them to him.. He said they were nice and healthy on arrival... A little more than I usually pay, but they are delivered to your door... Might be worth it if you get a few guys together, to split the cost...
    Butch

5. oldfogey

oldfogey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,320
    Name:
    Mike
    Mussels are a awesome bait. Gathering and shucking them ain't as easy as pulling a worm out of a bag haha but if you're willing to do the work it's a awesome bait. Kind of a self-chumming bait....the juice and stuff slowly milks out into the water. I've watched corbina turn and charge a mussel bait....he didn't see it, he smelled it and followed the stink to the bait.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,937
    That's not a great deal; must include the shipping cost. Squidco sells them by the dozen for $12 so that's a $1.00 each. Seaforth charges around #1.20 each, by the dozen or half.

7. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Zen Fisherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,899
    Glad you got out. Seems North County has been hit and miss lately from what I’m hearing (with me doing lion’s share of missing).
    Encinitas is good to go for surf fishing. Carlsbad says no, but means yes. LOL! And I think O-side is not a problem.
    Conditions are looking good with clearing water, crab beds a plenty, and birds out there working bait. So hopefully we get to make for some lost time here real soon.
    Cheers man, and we need to wet a line together soon!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +595
    Yea, that includes shipping tax and everything... They are more expensive up here in NOC... We get 6 worms for $8, And the shop isn't getting any now... So the guy wanted some, and was willing to pay... Just mentioning it if someone really wanted them... I don't know why the shops aren't getting them, when the guy I know did???
    Butch

9. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,937
    Seaforth has not had any for awhile. Two other tackle/bait shops still have not opened from the shutdowns and maybe won't, phones are disconnected. Squidco seems to be the only go to place.