Oct 7- Mur...You already know what lake

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Oct 7, 2021.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,918
    I entered my garage this morning, looked at my kayak and said to myself...not today. So I headed over with my boat to Murray to see what is happening. Chatted with a buddy John for a bit and later picked up a 4 on top that were micro sized bass on small flukes. I also saw and chatted with coyote drop in his new Hobie Lynx(kayak) and watched him land a nice bass Those kayaks are cool and only weigh 45lbs and of course I want one. Oh yeah.... back to fishing. After landing another small bass on topwater( I was surprised he hit a hard bait), I decided to work the tulles. Of course I used some various weighted Tokyo rigs with a variety of baits. Crawbaits, Senkos and a few other plastic worms and like usual, I boned 3 or 4 bites, but managed to pull some bass out of the tulles. I only landed 5 in the tulles, but the highlight was
    pulling out a 4 1/4lb bass and later caught one that weighed 4lbs on the button. It was a fun morning,
    Water temp is dropping so before you know it I will be working spoons and ice jigs in 50 feet of water. Hopefully mcfish will finally hit Murray before the year ends...and land his first Tokyo rig bass....ha ha

4.25lbs (Big head and needs to eat better)
    4 1:4 Mur 10:7.PNG
    4lbs (This bass works out...ha ha)
    4lb Mur 10:7.PNG
    Skinny one (Maybe on a Jenny-No shad diet?)
    skinny one.PNG
    Bigger of the topwater bass(brave one hit a hard bait)
    top dink.PNG
    coyote drop in his Hobie Lynx...ready to pull up another bass
    IMG_0926.PNG

• Like Like x 14
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Vet4Fishing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +538
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Wow! Here is a different perspective from today, Thursday, October 7th:

Arrived to Murray around 10ish and didn't see anyone out on the water. I did see another bank fisherman sitting on a chair in Padre Bay as I walked on trail above the access road. I set up camp on the point between Padre and San Carlos; worked DS, T-rigged worm, a jig and a crankbait to no avail; didn't even see a fish! About 11ish a few boats cruised out of San Carlos Bay and some smoker on a mountain bike decided to crash my point and throw his cigarette on the ground.an the distance, a kayaker posted up on San Carlos point. I walked all the way to the back end of SC Bay and only saw about 20 or 30 small frye hiding along the cattails; no bites and no fish seen.

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Vinny, sorry you had to settle for a couple 4 pounders today! We are so spoiled here! In other states a 4 is PB territory! That 4 even is stout! Arnold Swartzabass!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,918
    I was way down in San Carlos arm for a while and later Del Cerro Bay and a few other areas. There were 2 boats that I saw on the lake..an aluminum and a semi ocean boat and both were deep in San Carlos arm. There are lots of tiny bass chasing small shad and silversides. It you toss a small fluke(white ice or smoke) they usually smack it. Walmart has them for cheap and I use the paddle tail ones. My bigger bass were in the tulles....but from shore, I would toss a drop shot rig with with a Margarita Mutilator or fly line a senko(pumpkin colored). The larger flukes in white are pretty deadly and you can cast them a lot further from the shore. Tight lines. :)

#4 VinnyBass, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Vet4Fishing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +538
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Yeah, pretty weird. I even tried DS slices of pepperoni and ham for even a bluegill or catfish but nada. That usually works because of all the grease and protein.
    I have those flukes too but will take my low budget show back down to the SD River. At least there I saw all kinds of fish in the water, even AFTER the recent rains. There I know I can at least get some bites. I even did better at Santee Lakes recently.

6. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,582
    That is a Excellent day on the water for you...Great report

7. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,918
    Hey Vet4Fishing ....I am trying to figure out why you disagree with my comments. I was offering advice based on how often I fished Murray over the years. I caught bass lately on those small flukes and even told you the color and where to get some cheap. I offered other advice that I would use if I was fishing from shore. A margarita mutilator on a drop shot or a fly lined senko(pumpkin colored). I would use a large white fluke if I was fishing from shore to cast it out further. There is no guarantees that my advice would work...but I was only trying to be helpful.
    I am sorry if you took it wrong and hope you have better fishing trips ahead.
    Tight lines

#7 VinnyBass, Oct 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,374
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Murray can humble the best of em! I think it only took me 50 yrs to figure it out....Vinny is the Murray whisperer !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. coyote drop

coyote drop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +200
    Nice Vinny guess I should've stayed around a little longer. Time you get one of those Lynxs for the river.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,918
    I talk way too loud and way too much to be a whisperer...ha ha
    Really enjoyed all your out of town postings. Looks like you had a great time and welcome back. :)

#10 VinnyBass, Oct 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,374
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Thanks, love fishing the Sierras when the fish are fattening up for the winter!

12. Vet4Fishing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +538
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    No disagreements and I greatly appreciate the tips. No guarantees in hunting and fishing for sure!
    You know Murray better than the people that manage it.
    And believe me, I gave it a good effort yesterday with 4 rod combos and those techniques previously mentioned; the problem is inaccessibility to those key off shore spots.
    Oh, no disagreements and I greatly appreciate the tips. No guarantees in fishing OR hunting for sure! I did make a reasonable effort with the 4 rod combos and making very long casts with those previously mentioned techniques. If I could have stayed longer and walked farther, I would have.
    You know that body of water very well, probably better than most of the people that manage it so many of us turn to your reports for reliable Intel. I, in no way shape or form, am doubting your report on the water. My purpose is to show that
    opposite of yesterday's trip along the shoreline. It may help to save other anglers from going there and getting discouraged.
    The problem for the bank fisherman at Murray is inaccessibility to those fish without a boat or kayak or float tube.
    I want to believe that the bank fishermen can still catch LMBs from the bank WITHOUT POACHING AT NIGHT.
    The situation speaks more about the management of the water body and the fishing pressure upon that fish population than the bait or lure used.
    If I can't even get a bluegill to take deli meat, to me, that is a bad sign.
    There was even a recent video on YT by Tim, or Matt, from Tactical Bassin talking about the unusual bass behavior and degree of difficulty catching fish over the last 1-2 yrs. Sorry, I am wandering from the local, specific problem and looking at the larger national observation.
    Bottom line: I AM going to catch LMBs at Murray from shore WITHOUT getting on the water or poaching!

But in the meantime, I am going back to the River.
    And my advice for other bank anglers, don't waste your money or time on Murray.

13. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,918
    Thank you. I always look forward to your reports and great pics.
    That lake looks a lot more fun than Murray...ha ha
    Tight lines always. :)

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Had to laugh at that! I have heard you from 300 yards away at D&K.

15. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,918
    I almost mentioned as an example that you could hear me that time (or was it several times?)all the way across the lake talking to mcfish....but figured you would jump in anyway...ha ha

#15 VinnyBass, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  16. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,374
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    500 yards...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Pond_prowler_619

Pond_prowler_619 Active Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Name:
    Ish
    Some fatty for sure.... i might just have to hit murray for the 1st time tomorrow...

18. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,918
    Hope you get some if you hit Murray......fish some flukes or small topwater baits if you see breakers or toss some senkos in and out of the tulles. Tight lines :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,120
    Boat:
    Yes
    Two 4 pounders is a very good day. Plus some other smaller ones. I'd take that at any lake, any day. Thanks for the report and pics Vinny! Maybe mcfish and I will see you at San V these next few Monday's. I'll be there on the 18th and the 25th. Tight lines my friend.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,374
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Take Mr. Vinnybass's suggestions..he knows of what he speaks! Murray can be very hard on virgins!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List