Official 2015/2016 trout stock thread

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    I figured it would be best to have one thread where I do announcements on trout stocks for SD County. So when I see/hear about a planned or completed trout stock, I'll post it here in this thread.

We also maintain a list of all posted (publicly announced) fish stocks in San Diego here; http://sdfish.com/freshwater-fishing/fish-plants/ so you might want to bookmark that page.

Feel free to chime in and post if you see the a trout truck at one of the lakes. A lot of the stocking dates that are posted are "week of", so if you see a truck, post it so we know exactly when the lakes were stocked.

This thread will be kept in the freshwater forum, because both bass and trout anglers are obviously going to be interested in this information.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    Morena and Cuyamaca are both scheduled to receive rainbow trout from the CA DFW at some point this week (week of October 25, 2015).

CA DFW does not release how much they stock, but typically they're around 600-800 lbs each, of typically smaller (but catchable) sized rainbows.

3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    Santee Lakes is scheduled to receive their first trout plant the week leading up to their trout opener on November 7th. It'll be 2,500 pounds from Jess Ranch and include both tagged and trophy-sized trout.

4. RippinLips619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +187
    Does santee have a bigger budget for trout stocking, I see they are putting in tag/trophies in for every stock. Is the number of pounds per stock is that not determined yet? Thanks kellen.

5. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    I made a couple updates to include the weight totals. They're going with 1,000 pounds in all but 2 of their stocks this year. 2,500 pounds for the opener, and 1,500 pounds for January 15th reopener.

I also took out the notes about tagged and trophy trout for dates after the opener, because thats the only one that has been confirmed for those right now. But last year they did it throughout the year.

Santee Lakes definitely has a good budget for trout because they run their fishing program like a business.

Cuyamaca probably spends the most money each year on trout, Jennings puts in a lot also. Jennings hasn't done the trophy trout thing though, they want as many catchable sized trout as possible in their lake. They throw in lightning trout on occasion though.

Wohlford, Dixon, Poway and Morena have decent sized trout budgets as well. The city lakes have $0 for trout, and all the trout they receive are from the state.

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    I just heard from Kira at Jennings. They're shooting for trout toward the last week of November. The water temperature is still in the upper 70s. So we need some cool weather to get the lake down about 10 more degrees.

They're going with the "Sierra Bows" this year, and won't have any "Tailwalkers" from Chaulk Mound.

7. RippinLips619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +187
    Im just curious whats santee lakes temperature is, when all the lakes are pushing back their stocking schedules to late november/early december. I honestly think the water has to be above 75 degrees. i dont think their is enough time for the water to cool down for santee by the 7th.

8. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    Santee Lakes are so shallow they can change quicker. I think you're right, probably about 75 right now in the afternoons but the lows are getting into the 50s now so if that continues they shouldn't have any trouble getting to 70 by the 7th.

It's obviously something that they're going to monitor, and if its not looking like its going to happen, they'll push it back.

9. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,278
    No "Tailwalkers" because they kept dying last season?

10. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    No reason given.

11. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    Sounds like Dixon is still shooting for trout in late November. The water temperature was 75 degrees on Friday, down only 1 degree from the previous Friday.

They want the water to be down to 68 before they stock. Cool nights will help get there.

12. Rodmaster858

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,450
    Totally excited :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. RangerGreg

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +24
    Santee Lakes is at 68 to 70 degrees right now. The cooler nights are definitely helping to lower the water temp. We are ready to stock. Hope to see you all out here this winter. Rain or shine the Lakes are open 7 days a week.

14. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    Awesome! Thanks for chiming in Greg.

15. RippinLips619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +187
    How many pounds are going to be put in lake 2 roughly?

16. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    Confirmed with Lake Morena staff, they received trout from the CA DFW yesterday.

17. tmbtc12

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +159
    Boat:
    2012 Triton 19xs
    Thanks Kellen. I was up at Morena Tuesday....just missed it. The lake is even lower than the last time I was up there in April, and there appeared to be an algae bloom.

18. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,027
    The city needs to bring back chaulk mountain and all them nebraskans back to miramar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    Lake Wohlford will kick off their trout season on December 12th.

20. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    From Lake Dixon: