Official 2015/2016 trout stock thread

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Oct 26, 2015.

1. 59lbwsb

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +157
    Yet another reason why everyone should be reporting they caught trout at Murray and Miramar.

2. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,108
    I don't understand why the city doesn't see the draw that these other lakes are getting from the large trout stockings.....Idon't know maybe Im the idiot

3. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +720
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    We never got a large enough bump in attendance during trout season (in the 25 years I've been here) to even come close to paying for the additional cost (what the budget crunchers look at). We (our staff and management) have always pushed the kids and community angle more, because that's harder to put a price tag on for one and "community" is a strong buzz word to get politics moving. Usually.

The DFW do look at our catch numbers, so yes please do report those trout caught! One reason they stopped stocking some lakes was because there were no trout reported caught so they pulled out to focus more on the other lakes.

4. RippinLips619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +187
    Can the city afford to have one private stocking once a month just to have a chance of getting a quality trout?

5. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +720
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    One 1,500 pound stock in 2011 (for the Nebraska trout) cost approximately $5,505.25.

6. RippinLips619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +187
    i understand their expensive, but Mt Lassen trout are cheaper than Nebraska from what i have heard, im pretty sure the city could do a stocking once a month, not a full schedule like the other lakes.

7. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +720
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    Unfortunately, now that it's been cut, getting it added back in, when our current program doesn't/barely comes close to break(ing) even, would be difficult by US. We would have to prove that we would break even on the program/investment.

8. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,108
    In any business you need to spend money to make money....that being said...Im sure the city officials making these decisions don't look at it like this....and Im willing to bet that they are not going to put money into something that will possibly take away what goes into their pockets ...whether its good for the city or not...politics is what ruins everything for everybody except those for players in the political ring...after all the city isn't about making money ..its all about spending whats left after their pockets are filled

9. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,108
    Well Im sure Lake Dixon and Poway and Santee Lakes are making some what of a profit or they wouldn't be still doing it....There is proof right there....and again how can you show proof in something if its never giving the opportunity to do so

10. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,108

IMO unless the DFW starts stocking bigger trout in our lakes ..that report will never be much if any...unless we start lying about it......Its pretty difficult to compete with a largemouth bass that has 24/7 opportunities when it comes to catching the trout they stock now

11. 59lbwsb

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +157
    Start lying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe their complaint was no one was reporting trout so they stopped stocking. We need to show them people have an interest in trout fishing the lakes. If Miramar had bigger trout I would be there in a heartbeat.

12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    The DFW stopped stocking trout at Otay and El Cap because there were no fish reported caught.

The city stopped planting trout at all of their lakes (Murray and Miramar were only ones receiving, San Vicente used to but was closed) because of the water rate hike imposed upon them by the Metropolitan Water District. The SDCWA has since won the lawsuit (appeals possibly pending) against the MWD about that rate hike, so in theory the trout program should be restored.

The city doesn't make money off the trout stocks because they don't market the lakes as good as Jennings, Santee Lakes, Poway, even Morena do. The city controls the best lakes, yet sees the least return.

My beef with the way the city lakes are run is that operating costs are billed against the fishing revenue. The costs to maintain the grounds and keep the lake open for walkers, joggers, and folks to have picnics is drawn against the revenue brought in from fishing. In the Jim Brown days he fought his bosses to allow him to bill hours spent emptying the trash cans, or cleaning the bathrooms against the lakes general operation, and only to bill his lake staff's time (they also had successful concessions at this time) against the fishing revenue when the employees were working on tasks that supported the fishing.

That's not happening anymore. Sounds like they just have revenue (fishing and water contact from El Capitan) and they have expenses (anything and everything). Hence the fishermen are getting the shaft in every which way.

13. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,108
    All the more reason to charge the walker jogger and the picnic people an entry fee or parking fee...But NOOOOO city politics wont allow or do that.......Im sure these outrageous pensions arent helping with that situation either...Like almost everything else these days the system need to be reorganized ....but nobody wants to take the lead on that...then again Im on the outside looking in

#93 DA CZAR, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  14. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +700
    Yeah I wish it was like cuyamaca. 6 for parking, free with fishing permit. I think for miramar, it would be easy to charge $2 for parking with their electronic iron ranger. I don't think murray has one of those though. And there is a lot of access to that lake. Or like a $75/year parking permit.

Even when miramar was stocking big fish, I never saw anyone there. The launch ramp was always high and dry and there is very limited shorw access. It was a float tubes and kayakers heaven.

I remember being in Carroll cove in the kayak watching a guy try and climb on top of the tullies to get to the water to try and fish.

15. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035

What would you guys think if they offered to close one of the local lakes to the public to allow a buy in system... Basically work something like this...

1,500 pounds of tailwalkers run around 5,500

Example Lake Murray

Find 100-200 people to throw in between 75-100 bucks each.

They close the lake off for 2 weeks you are only allowed to fish if you bought in beforehand

Say we only get 100 people and they each pay 75 each that takes us to 7,500 bucks

Maybe offer this a few times a year maybe an opener in December and a closer in April

Please give me some thoughts/suggestions to help improve this proposed solution.

16. BASS FACTORY

BASS FACTORY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Boat:
    2000 champion
    sounds like people would just poach the lake at night.

17. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    Jennings received 240 lbs from the DFW today.

image.jpeg

18. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    Dixon and Wohlford also confirmed their scheduled plants from Chaulk Mound, 1500 lbs each.

19. BUDDHA_

BUDDHA_ DreamEpic
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +725
    Name:
    DreamEpic
    How does someone get involved in or be apart of supporting and helping something like the lake murray issue? There are many ways to improve and bring in business, but like mentioned above, it will take money to make money. I would like to see another lake thrive and be successful so I can increase my fishing grounds because I'm a local in san diego. The problem isn't that people aren't reporting catches. You can't report what you don't catch. I haven't been there for years because I don't hear good things about it. At least most of the time. If you want trout fishing to be successful you have to stock heavy and promote openers. Off the date of openers so people don't have to decide which opener to attend. Stock heavy for openers and keep it consistent. Murray stocks are poor in quality and quantity. I understand it takes money and a risk, but it should be very well known that it works. I mean, look at all the other lakes. Compare it to murray and you see what they are doing wrong. It's nothing hidden. Throw in raffles and top prizes. And if reporting catches is an issue, then it's the staffs fault more than anything. I don't report my catches, it's the park ranger who does their damn job and walks around keeping count. And get a damn proper website. Now a days it's word of mouth and social media. There's twitter, facebook, instagram, and a whole list. Jennings is doing a hell of a job posting videos and pictures of catches and stocks and I don't know about all of you, but it sure lures me in. You just have to invest and put in a little effort. I would love to be on a team to drive this thing forward.

20. BUDDHA_

BUDDHA_ DreamEpic
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +725
    Name:
    DreamEpic
    I just wanted to add that if you calculate and think about the santee opener and jennings and dixon and wohlford on how much they spent to stock those trout of the opener and compare it to how many people attended over the coarse of that weekend, you'll get the idea. I attended all of those openers and it was insane. Of course I had to be in line by 1 or 2am, but it was worth it. The santee opener I believe was the biggest. Know why? It stated that trophy trout was being dropped, plus tags, plus top fishes for prizes. santee charges 5 for parking, 9 for fishing, 3 or 4 for a second rod. If there were no profits coming in those lakes would have stopped by now.