Offshore Sand Bass?

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Stephan Deambrogio, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Stephan Deambrogio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +724
    Name:
    SDFishKid
    Boat:
    Yes
    Hey sd fish, going out on my grandpa's boat on Monday and were going to chase some sand bass in 90-100 feet of water. I've heard lead heads with squid are a good option, and also swimbaits, should I do a dropper loop, or should I just stick to a single lead head?

2. Stephan Deambrogio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +724
    Name:
    SDFishKid
    Boat:
    Yes
    Any other tips (weight sizes, rigs, and baits) would also be appreciated

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +55,055
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I always liked the knocker and slider rigs for sandbass..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,349
    Name:
    Kyle
    Check out Fat Spottie latest post on the Sporties section.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,341
    Weight size is going to depend on current, but 1.5oz-2oz is a good start for that depth. Can even go lighter, probably. As to dropper loop vs single jighead, do whatever you feel like. In my experience sand bass will hit a leadhead setup more often than a dropper, but dropper loop gets more variety, especially with a bit smaller hook.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  6. A-Train

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +697
    Name:
    Alex
    My strategy for big sand bass is to put down a dropper loop with a small strip of squid... drop all the way to bottom, turn up 1-2 cranks then put the rod in the rod holder.... ***this is the important part now*** go take a piss or apply sunscreen, retie your other rig, etc... Look over at your rod in the rod holder and it’s bendo with a fat sand bass on it. I swear it works

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Rawdeezy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +493
    (5/8-3/4oz or 1oz - 1.5oz)Hookup baits and uni butter and don’t blink on the sink. Won a many a jackpots and have given some baits to neighboring anglers to get some biggins

8. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,395
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    Okay okay sorry I’m late to the party Stephan Deambrogio I hope this gets to you before you get out. First off, you’re probably going to be fishing a lot slower then you may think. This time of year, especially with this water temp, requires a slow presentation.

Personally, if I’m over hard bottom and cobblestones mixed in with sand I like the sliding eggs. What this does is get your bait down there, and you can let your bait feed out with the current if there is any. If you’re fishing live bait it’s also a plus as it has the freedom to do nervous bait stuff.

If I’m in the structure itself, like a pipe line covered in enormous rocks, knocker rig or sculpin bomb. Get that bait in there, jiggle it around, find the fishy and pull the fishy out. Also if you get stuck just lightly jig it out. When fishing a knocker rig in open water, cast it out, and let it pop a little. Especially if you’re drifting fast this works great as you have a better idea of what your rig looks like. A sliding egg is a little more unpredictable on the drift.

Also a dead-sticked reverse dropper loop works well, sometimes just letting bait be bait at the bottom works far better then trying to present it.

If the bass are chewing dead (get fresh sardines or squid, it really makes a difference) really well, think about dead sticking a chartreuse or white (I prefer chartreuse and a glow leadhead) swimbait. Have just enough weight on it where you can keep in contact with the bottom if you want to, or having it off the bottom as a deadstick bait. Skinny swimbaits and curly tails along with tube baits work great for this.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. doug

doug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I've had good luck this year fishing Mega baits and colt snipers. Most bites have been on the drop. Don't focus on dropping baits right on top of structure, our biggest bass this winter have come after drifting off of it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,682
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    Last week squid on leadheads or dropper loop produced a couple sandbass. Sending down the smallest sardine in bait tank also worked for sandbass and brought up two small calicos.

11. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,782
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Its a little bit of work but if your fishing dead sardines especially the bigger ones, fillet them on a dropper loop, throw away the head and bones so the skins and meat dance around. The movement and the amount they get inhaled instead of short bit is way better and out fishes a stiff dead sardine by a ton! I have even had times where they outfished a live sardine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  12. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,682
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    I have some Florida style snapper jigs that get tipped with sardine filets or squid. Almost always get bit on the way down. Especially when the bass start feeding up that delicious chum line.