old mcconnell had a farm....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dilatedppls, Jan 13, 2021.

1. dilatedppls

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +901
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,900
    The impeachment is nothing more than a show. You can't impeach a private citizen. I'd like to see congress work on getting help to small businesses and citizens but I guess this is more important. Sad to see.

3. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,818
    Doesn't mean he will vote for impeachment though. There are lots more elected R's that are disgusted by Trump than are willing to vote for impeachment due to fear of the base.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,818
    Most legal experts think Trump can be convicted in the Senate after leaving office, see Can Trump be tried in the Senate on impeachment charges even after he leaves office? Some experts say yes. .

Conviction and prohibition against running would seriously degrade his ability to hinder the Biden administration, promote lies and dominate the R party. Might make it easier for Congress to get to work without him interfering.

5. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,900
    I do agree it would lessen Trump's grasp on the republican party. It's been said McConnel's and other republicans support of the impeachment is his way of distancing the republican party from Trump allowing them to produce a candidate in 2024 that isn't tainted by Trumps image. But the reality is all of this is just speculation. I'm sure someone somewhere is just pulling the strings and watching the pieces fall into place. The attacks on free speech and the purge of conservatives is not a good sign regardless of any of our political leanings. By the time most see that I think it will be too late.

#5 NibbleSquad, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  6. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,818
    I am fine with attacks on speech that incites riots, arson and murder, regardless of whether Left or Right. Free speech does not extend to yelling fire in a crowded theater or to inciting violence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,536
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    where were the attacks on this type of inciting speech ? and yes they did say these things

who decides what is inciting speech ? the sd fish "fact" checkers ?

E I E I O

Capture3.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. dilatedppls

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +901
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,536
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
  10. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,900
    That seems like a strawman. You're telling me this purge solely went after specific calls to violence which are already illegal? Don't you find it odd that Parler happened to hit number one on the app store just before it was pulled and taken offline? There are bigger things at play than banning meanies online. It's big tech and media consolidating their control on free information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,818
    There is no point in arguing with conspiracists.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,900
    I would like to hear your a counterpoint (if you have one). You might even change my views. If people went back to sharing their opinions openly without ad hominem attacks maybe we wouldn't be so divided. Im sure most of us have more in common than we think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,818
    Alright, I will respond and see what your response is. The record signup to Parler is no mystery, Trump had been suspended from several social media platforms and was expected to move to Parler so his followers wanted that app. Calls to violence were already illegal but Social Media platforms were not paying much attention to that (costs money to hire moderators) until the insurrection made it much more visible. And they would clearly rather take action to boot posts calling for violence off their sites rather than wait for lawsuits. law enforcement or legislative action forcing them. Their terms and conditions already banned such posts. Reputable companies do not want to be associated with violence or other criminal activity. Parler violated its terms of agreements with service providers by not doing anything about posts advocating violence. The service providers have clauses that prohibit promoting violence and other illegal activity but this can't be used as a defense in court if they don't enforce those clauses when confronted with egregious behavior.

Sites which knowingly and egregiously allow users to promote illegal activity eventually get shut down and the operators prosecuted. Silk Road is an example of that: Silk Road (marketplace) - Wikipedia . Facebook et al don't want to be the next Silk Road.

Big Tech is mainly interested in making money, it's capitalism after all. They would rather all this would go away if it could. They want as many users as possible of all political views using their services but not at the expense of getting shutdown or alienating large numbers of other users. As the Mafia would say, it's not personal, just business.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,086
    For better or worse the Republicans are forever linked with Trump. Can cut the ties all they want but they embraced him. Can't ever escape that fact.

15. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,818
    Looks like Trump is going to be their Jimmy Carter (for those old enough to remember), the gift that keeps on giving for the other side.

16. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,900
    Parler was shut down because users made calls to violence. The capitol riot was the catalyst for their termination.. would that be a correct assessment of your point?
    I would tend to agree if we saw consistency in their Tos enforcement. As hookemdano pointed out, democrats and others on the left have been inciting violence for months. Kathy Griffon reposts a picture of her holding Trumps decapitated head the other day and yet that seems to be okay? Do you remember when rioters burnt a church and tried to storm the white house? How many officers were hurt and how many people died? How many billions of dollars in damage occured? And yet there was no mass censorship of the left... its clearly a one sided attack on conservative speech even if parler was as you say it is. Information is being censored everywhere on the net. Youtube, facebook, twitter...
    The bias is there and to deny it would take the utmost in cognitive dissonance.
    I do agree with your last point, big tech uses us for clicks. They sell us ads, farm our user data etc.
    Social media molds public opinion. Having a one sided media restricts the free flow of ideas which is crucial for a functional democracy.

#16 NibbleSquad, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  17. William Campbell

William Campbell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +357
    BUT McConnell is a weak leader. And his wife, Elaine Chao, is dirty: her father owns a huge shipping container business and is getting an inordinate amount of contracts from our government.

18. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,818
    As you said, the Capitol riot was the catalyst for action where very little action had occurred prior to that. The media and Internet companies would really rather not be involved in restricting access at all but they don't want the adverse consequences from their platforms being used to promote violence. And it is much harder to ignore a very public and influential figure than a small time bad actor. I think you have to see what their actions going forward are, whether they crack down on all users who promote violence or not. Of course I don't approve of violence or destruction by either side.

I am not aware of censorship of non violent, non inciting and legal speech by the social media you mention. No one is being censored for saying they love Donald Trump or that they are a Republican.

And Kathy Griffin has been required to retract at least one of her tweets: Kathy Griffin placed in Twitter jail for tweet about stabbing Trump with syringe full of air . She has been fired by CNN. After these latest events, I expect social media to be a lot more strict going forward, with all users.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. plako

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,007
    Generally agree but how do you know that real users were calling for violence? How do you know that Tweeter connected folks didn't install some boots to flood Parler with offensive materials to justify elimination of the competition? After Tweeter lost huge number of accounts? Maybe just Parler didn't have efficient tools to weed out boots interference from an entrenched and far more experienced competitor?
    The actual objective is indeed to establish censure, serving Democrats plans for transition to a single-party totalitarian fascist state. They are already midway to that objective. Shutting down communications of the opposition is equal to attacking and vandalizing the headquarters of the opposition newspapers by the Nazis in the 1930's.

20. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,818
    Thanks. We can always count on you for a conspiracy or two.