On the road again

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by flyfishinsteve64, Nov 3, 2019.

1. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    DE22D850-E25E-4147-940F-8E05C7D79807.jpeg 495152B5-2726-4EF9-B604-B6A436C831E0.jpeg So after a very nice visit with my son and his girl at the river house. They are moving to Colorado. He is civil engineer and she has her law degree. They should be ok. My son will be opening a new location for the company he works for. All his idea and he got it done. Very proud of the young man.

After the kids and the wife left I hit to road. I heard that the Fish were biting at Pyramid Lake. Never been there and I wanted to check it out. Only twelve hours or so according to my phone but that’s not how Wyatt and I roll. We are much slower. You have to stop more when traveling with a dog. No problem. It took us two days to get to Pyramid Lake.

Once we got there I bought my permits on line. 3-days camping $41. 3-days fishin $31. I decided not to fish the first day. I just wanted to watch listen and learn. If I were to do it again I would buy my license each day I wanted to fish. People were very helpful and I was lucky enough to camp next to a gentlemen that likes to talk so I indulged him and listen for hours to get as much info as I could. I very much appreciated how much he was willing to share. Nice man.

Friday would be my first day fishin. It was slightly more crowded than Thursday. I was up at 1am or so ready to go. I just can’t get back to a normal sleeping pattern still.
    It was dark when I took my newly purchased 6’ ladder that I customized a lil bit, so I could have a hot cup of coffee all my flies, leaders , tools and net all attached to my ladder.
    It was cold. The water wasn’t bad somewhere around 60* I believe but the air was cold. 26* and lots of ice on the guides. Oh I know it can be worse and I have fished in much colder conditions.
    I chose to stick with stripping streamers. Mostly because I came from the river house and all I had were 7’10” bass rods and one each 6&8 wt. sage one 9’ rods.
    I had stopped by the Reno Fly Shop on the way so I was armed with the flies that work at Pyramid. The guy at the shop was helpful. Nice store.
    I decided on fishin a 400 grain full sinking line on my Sage Bass II 330 grain rod. This worked pretty well. I was able to throw the flies a good distance and it put me in the zone. Longer rod would have been nice.
    I ended up catching one trout about 18-20”. A small fish at pyramid. Most guys caught 1-3 fish that day with a couple fishermen catching much more and some not catching any. I felt good to catch that fish and I was content. I probably fished 5-7 hours the first day and maybe 4-5 the second day. I got blanked on the second day. If you put in the time, you will catch fish. I guess the weather needs to be challenging before the fishin get Good. They like a good 30mph wind out here. Makes the fishin better from what I’m told. We had sunny sometimes greasy flat conditions, not ideal.
    This was an exploratory trip and it was well worth the effort. I will be back when the weather sucks and hopefully there are no whiny 10-12 year old boys around. It’s was very hard not to ask the boys, why are you whining like a lil ?i$ch. Man I’m getting old. If my son acted like that he would never fish with me. Maybe that’s why my son doesn’t fish ? :-(

More to come I’m still on the road.
    Steve

F7ED9422-DBFE-4070-8063-64B6CBD167E5.jpeg

2. fish-on-bro

fish-on-bro Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Steve haven't talked to you in a long time, sounds like you are retired. Pyramid is a fun place and the colder/snottier the weather, better fishing. Try to go when the weather is more winter like. I haven't broke the double digit mark there yet but I will someday.
    Fish-on-bro

3. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    It has been a long time Chuck. I am retired now and loving it.

4. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Hey some good info on how to "do Pyramid".

Questions: Why would you buy the pass daily, rather than all at once?

I've been thinking about going up there and giving it a shot, sounds like fishing the bay for spotties (blind casting, and feeling/hoping for the bump) but with potentially a giant fish versus a 10" trophy spotty.

How'd your rig work out as far as camping there?

How would the i11s have been on the windless days?

Would you go again?

5. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Hello John, I would buy my fishin permits on a daily basis because, Crowds, weather, bite, physical ability and how much partied the night before. In my case partying wouldn't apply cuz I go to bed when it gets dark or before. All your permits can be purchased online and I get great service there with Verizon. So it makes sense to me just to buy as needed. When traveling and camping I rarely purchase more that two days at a time. I get to many wild hairs and also some times I just want to leave.
    Yes from what I see were just blind casting. The take was not as powerful as expected. Just a subtle stop.
    My rig worked great. I did forget Wyatt's sleeping bag so I turn the heater on for him in the mornings :). I drove my van down onto a beach that most vans wouldn't have been able to get too, that was kinda nice. You can camp anywhere you want as long as you stay 50' away from the water. Aint many places around here you can do that anymore.
    The I11s would work great. I would bring an anchor. I didn't use mine. It was in the van, that wind can get serious quick from what I'm told. This was just a exploratory trip and I will definitely go again when its cold and nasty and just us crazy fools will be out there.

What you have to do to get away from the crowds these days.
    Steve