Organisms that glow in the dark - what are they?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Mr. NiceGuy, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Mr. NiceGuy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +657
    When I'm fishing in the bays at night I often see small pea-sized objects in the water that glow in the dark. They are particularly thick at the south end of San Diego Bay, but I was seeing them in Mission Bay last night as well, around Sea World and Fiesta Island.

Does anyone know what they are?

They are individual round organisms that are glowing -- I do not think it is the neon blue bio-luminescent glow that comes from phytoplankton. My perception may be skewed, but I think they were more greenish-white. They were distinctive individual spots, not a general glow.

I'm wondering if they might be more in the category of tiny glow-in-the-dark jellyfish?

2. Mr. NiceGuy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +657
    Fireworms?
    http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsrel/general/04-09GreenGlow.asp

The reason I'm asking is this:

When I launch and land around Coronado Cays there is something in the water that stings my skin. When I brush the "stinging water" off my legs I can feel something like small gelatin blobs but I can't see anything. (my eyes may not be so good anyway and my glasses are long overdue to be replaced).

My ankles and feet have been swollen and I'm wondering if I might be having an allergic reaction to something in the water.

Any ideas? These two things may be entirely unrelated. I'm trying to figure out what's stinging me.

#2 Mr. NiceGuy, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,076
    They are fireworms.

4. Saltandlead

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +220
    Interesting. Have you ever thought about wearing waders in your yak? Makes cleanup easier at the end of the day and no more stinging.