Otay 10/3 Small busters, big fish deeper........

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Tom_74, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +879
    This is my first report & hopefully more to come.

My son & I headed to Otay but got a late start at around 9:30. I saw busters in the Otay arm as I was driving in so I thought we'd start there first. They weren't towards the back of the arm like the have been, almost in the middle. We started throwing clone fry's and other small baits. A few strikes but no hook ups. I look around and I didn't see anyone pulling any fish to their boat. The busters I did see were all really small fish, maybe a few 10"s but mostly small. After about an 1 1/2 hours we decide to check out Harvey's. At this point the busters are really slowing down.

We get to Harvey's and immediately I feel like this was a mistake, I saw a couple busters, but it was basically really quiet. I slowly went to the very end in the center of the weed line. Normally I'd see cruisers, and a ton of bait fish. Not today. Neither was there and I was really surprised. About 20 yards from the toolies I finally see some bait fish, and this was a long school of them. But no cruisers or busters. We fished there (foolishly) for about an hour for no bites, nada!.

We head back to Otay arm and the busters are even quieter now. I fished for a while with the same results as earlier, and still I see no body pulling in any fish. My son is frustrated and wants to go, but says "dad you always catch fish on your A-rig near the toolies why don't you try that." I figured why not sounds like solid advice and nothing else was working at this point.

So we troll to the East side of Otay arm and start throwing the A-rig. My son get's 1 pretty quick. A few minutes later I got a decent 1. We trolled from about 1/2 way of the arm towards the back by the trees. I ended up picking up 7 more fish, and even had 2 on at once, but 1 got off at the boat, The main key here was a few different tactics. 1st was throwing parallel to the weed patties and letting the fish come out and ambush the bait. The 2nd was throwing towards the middle and letting the A-rig drop down a bit. The cadence was slower than I usually go, but that seemed to be the speed they wanted. I did catch a couple of dinks which looked like the same size as the busters (see photo)Thanks Otay for a fun day with my son. If anyone is interested in how I set up my A-rig just ask, I have it dialed in pretty well.

20151003_130235.jpg 20151003_141653.jpg 20151003_152500.jpg
    I can't believe this little fish choked down this bait! LOL 20151003_090447.jpg
    Glassy and no wind at 9:30 in the morning - never got too hot either.

2. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +664
    awesome report keep them coming. and welcome to the boards

3. Uno

Uno
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +330
    Great report!

4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,280
    Very nice report! (and your first one too!)
    So many of us fishing Otay have gone back and forth from Harvey to Otay arm, yet it is always fun reading from other fellow fisherman and their fishing trip experiences.
    Thanks for sharing and keep the reports coming.

5. Low&Slow

Low&Slow Hate us cuz they anus..
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +496
    Welcome to SDFISH great report, some solid fish, and awesome A rig.

6. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +879
    Thanks for all the support. For those of you who are asking here is my A-Rig setup & a couple pics:

So I use the Yumbrella flash mob jr.
    You can only have 3 hooks in cali :(

First the top two wires - I use Keitech 3.5" swing impacts for the bait, and I usually pinch about 1/4" off, they hold better when I do that. And I use screw-locs to hold them. I also take off the snap swivels they come with and put on split rings but only on the top 2 wires.

Next is the two bottom outside wires - I use 1/8 oz revenge heads, or you can get generic ones at anglers arsenal for a lot cheaper. I use Reaction Innovations skinny dipper. Again if you want to have more customization anglers does their own pours of the skinny dippers and so I usually have a bunch of different colors.

Finally the middle wire which is rigged the same as the the bottom 2 except I use 1/4 oz. head. Same soft bait.

This setup really allows the rig to run true and straight with good weight distribution.

I throw on a medium heavy rod with 50 lb. braid. The braid is key because you don't want to loose your rig getting hung up. No Leader - tie straight to the braid. I use either a Palomar knot or the San Diego Jam knot.

Some people say remove all the snaps and replace them with better ones, but my thoughts are, if you get hung up and pull hard enough, the snap will open and you'll just loose 1 bait. If you replace them with really strong snaps, you'll end up loosing your whole rig - about $25 vs. $2-$3. Many times I've been able to free the rig and just loose 1 bait.

Below is the top wire, mid, & bottom.
    20151006_071848.jpg

and the full rig -
    20151006_070958.jpg