Otay afternoon 3/28 ~ PB day of fishing

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by PBcali, Mar 28, 2018.

1. PBcali

PBcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Name:
    PBcali
    Boat:
    Skeeter bass boat
    Got a co worker to cover me and made a last minute trip to Otay, got there around 2PM. Parking lot was more crowded than most Sundays. Over heard people loading up on the dock saying "yeah.. i dont think anybody did too well today" so i was worried. When i got to the north end of the lake there was 9 boats and a couple tubers but looked like everybody was sitting down with a spinning rod. Immediately see the shad schools surfacing across the entire north end of the lake. A friend and I were both hooked up at the same time 3 casts in a row! Within the first 45 minutes we had over 30 fish on the boat, it was insane. Then the bite slowed down a bit, but would come back on fire on and off for the rest of the day. The bait was so thick we were snagging them on the jerkbaits. Shad and the other type of bait i forgot the name, maybe silver side?(clear skinny body) There was only one other guy in an aluminum bass tracker crushing them he probably had 100 fish day, being able to stand up on a bass boat defiantly seemed to be the key as they were all crushing jerk baits. The float tubers fishing slow were catching them, but not nearly as often. Even shiner fisherman were not crushing them. My friend fished a lucky craft speed minnow and it was the most productive bait all day. I fished the Megabass 110+1 and a lucky craft 110 forgot name but it was shallow diver. Fish were all caught in 3-7 feet of water. Every fish caught on jerk bait except 1 fish caught on an under spin and broke my blade off my cool baits. Tried top water for a little but they were not triggered. Tried drop shot for a few minutes because it caught me alot of the bigger fish last weekend, but no bites today and went back to the jerk. All fish small 1.5-2.5# Biggest fish 4.7#

20180328_144508.jpg
    20180328_145353.jpg
    this fish was small but so stuffed i had to take a picture
    20180328_165714.jpg
    Everybody caught fish and even tho there was so many boats in the same cove no dick heads flipped anybody off or drove full speed out of the cove. Nobody had to ask permission to fish the spot. There isnt a bite on a public lake that isn't shareable... At times boats were within spitting distance casting into the boils right next to each other.... complete strangers and everybody shared the lake because no single boat owns a spot or a bite.
    All you had to do was cast into the boiling shad and you were bit. Epic day, very blessed.

#1 PBcali, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,826
    Boat:
    I wish
    Great job. That spot is where I usually get some bass.

3. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,476
    Terrific day! Every fisherman deserves a day like that every once in a while. To quote Linebig: "Get bit, get happy!" (Sep 16, 2013)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Patch Ellis

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +392
    Yeah it was an epic day for sure

5. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,750
    Boat:
    Yes
    Great day PBcali Love a jerkbait bite! Thanks for sharing the report and pictures! Need to get back down to Otay soon.

6. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,253
    The first picture confused me for a second. I thought you where throwing a super monster jerk bait. I was thinking you must be fishing that with a salt water trolling stick. lol
    Great day on the water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Matt A

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +561
    Right on! Way to find the bait and stay after um. They are munching hard right now. Reminds me of the old days at Hodges when that lake was teaming with bait.