Otay for a couple of hours Sunday 6/5

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by gravelpeake, Jun 5, 2016.

1. gravelpeake

gravelpeake Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Hit Otay with the wife for a few hours. Lake was fairly busy, but there was enough water to go around. Was socked in with fog when we set out. Eerie not being able to see the other side of the lake. Got one on a senko in 10~15 ft water. Tried the new frog I bought, no biters. Maybe I'm not fishing it right? Anybody have any tips?

Also the wife was running a bobber with worms targeting bluegill and whatever. She got a lot of tiny fish nibbling her bait but nothing big enough to take the hook. Does anyone have any advice for getting her a consistent bite?

image.jpeg

2. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +879
    So my dad loves to fish blue gill, and he uses these on a DS http://www.lftlures.com/catalog/lft-baby-shad-2-1-4

Nose hook, or Texas whatever you feel most comfortable with on 3/16 DS weight. The leader distance doesn't matter much, but I'd go 12 - 18".

Last time I was at Otay the bass bite was slow and we each got around 15 or so blue gill on these.

The color that seems to work best is the Black/Chart - with gold fleck. Bass will hit these too, I've caught bass on these at Barrett & at the Colorado River

3. gravelpeake

Ratings:
    +104
    Thanks for the tip! We'll give those a try next time out.

4. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,903
    how you fishing the frog?

5. gravelpeake

Ratings:
    +104
    I'm casting towards the tulles or parallel to them and then walking it back by twitching the rod tip.

6. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,970
    Boat:
    None
    When I go to Murray or otay and the bite shuts down I will just get out my bluegill rod w/ 4# line and a size 8 hook. I will also put a small split shot on with a mealworm. Gets bites all the time.

7. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,250
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    You'll want to also try and get the frog deep into the tullies at least a foot or 2. Also, look for the grass areas and work it over top. The biggest thing about working frogs is having confidence in the bait. This can also be said about any and all baits.

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,951
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Putting pauses in there?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. gravelpeake

Ratings:
    +104
    Oh no hadn't thought about that. I'll try a more irregular retrieve next time. Thanks for the help everyone!

10. jpablico

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
  11. gravelpeake

Ratings:
    +104
    Thanks! I saw the video before I went out I was trying to emulate your friend, I guess I'm missing the nuance of it. But I did some reading online and I think I understand what to try now.

12. jpablico

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529

Nice! Good luck next time! Just out of curiosity, what frog were you throwing?

13. gravelpeake

Ratings:
    +104
    Koppers live target frog in brown. I think it may be the same one your buddy was using.

14. jpablico

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
    That's actually the one I throw. My buddy throws the snag proof and it definitely has a different action then the Live Targets. I trim the legs a little as well but not sure if he does or not and he's really specific with the color he uses. Probably more of a confidence thing but he swears on it and quite frankly, he knows a lot more than me. Not sure the exact color but I've witnessed him catch a lot of fish off of it at Diamond, Otay and the Lower Colorado. Keep in mind that when he threw the frog in the video I posted, it looks like he was rippin em all day but what you don't see are the long times edited out in between each catch where he wasn't getting bit at all. When you throw the frog, you have to be committed to it as he was. Out of roughly around 400 to 500 casts for a 9 hour period, he only got bit about 25 times. Covering water and and staying committed was the key for him to even get those 25 bites along with varied pauses in between his retrieves.

Go get em next time!