Out of stater - looking for a good spot for me and my son to fish a couple hours

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by akammerman, May 22, 2015.

1. akammerman

akammerman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,
    Will be in San Diego for one day (side trip from Disneyland) to go to a family dinner at the Corvette Diner. As I was searching for a place for my son and me to fish, I realized that the Diner is right on the water. It's north of Harbor Island, in a small inlet west of the airport. There is a public park there called NTC park. Does anyone know if the shore all along this inlet is open to fishing? I will make sure we have our licenses, of course. I've been researching other places near Disneyland and around San Diego for a quick 2-3 hour fishing session; but I'm not sure I want to hit a pier or jetty. I'm open to a beach (I might try Silver Strand - went there with the fam two years ago but didn't fish); but if this spot near where we'll be eating is fishable, that might just be the ticket.

In fact: I'd also be willing to pay a local for equipment rental and 'guide' service, then I won't need to pack the fishing gear. I don't need a guarantee of fish, just a family friendly spot (my other kids won't want to fish) near a park or on the beach and the rental of some bait, two poles/reels, etc.

We will be there on June 12 or 13.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,079
    It's open to fishing but you'll be climbing up and down rocks depending on the tide, and some are pretty unstable. Bass and croaker throughout the entire channel, as well as bonefish. Small plastics will work but if you really wanna make the best of your time, get some ghost shrimp. It's also very weedy there so if you fish plastics, use some sort of weedless rig.
    If you decide to fish elsewhere, send me a quick message and I can give you a little info.

3. akammerman

akammerman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks dj thrillz,
    Been reading the forum for the past hour or so. Looks like hospitality point and fiesta island park might be good options, too. Watched some vids on pumping ghost shrimp -- reminded me of the time in Chile where I went out to some meadows after the rains and pumped crawdads--then took them home and our mamita made us some Empanadas de Cameron (shrimp empanadas). So good! And super fun to hunt those lil' guys with a huge PVC syringe!
    • Will sand crabs work just as well as ghost shrimp?
    • If I don't have the time to hunt my own, can I buy some at a local bait shop?
    • Watched a vid with some guys catching fish off ghost shrimp and they mentioned that there was a certain type of rock fish that's poisonous (Sculpin?)--what do I need to be aware of?
    Wish I could ditch the Disneyland plans and fish the CA coast for the entire week. ;) But that would make everyone else in my family pretty disappointed. Actually, looking forward to making some great memories as it's my 6 year-olds first trip to Disneyland (second trip for our family). My 13 year-old and I are fishing buddies, though; and we want to steal away for some time to fish a bit.

Thanks again. I may send you a PM as we get closer to the date.

4. Mr. NiceGuy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +657
    For a concentrated day of fishing in an area that's unfamiliar to you, I like the idea of hiring a guide with a boat who can zoom you to good fishing spots all over the bay. I don't know if that would be practical for a couple of hours.

The half day boats that fish off La Jolla are fun too. You need to show up by 5:30am and you will be back by noon to join the rest of your family for whatever they are doing. It's a nice "full day" of fishing that packs in nicely and leaves the rest of the day open for other things.

This mornings average number of fish per angler is low, but I've regularly been seeing 5-10 fish per angler averages lately. You can watch this daily fish count as the day of your trip approaches. they have poles and equipment. You can get a one day license there. It requires nothing more than showing up and having fun.
    http://www.seaforthlanding.com/pages/fishcount.php

You might also consider finding a guide to meet you a little before sunrise for the same kind of time slot --- more time fishing, and then more time back with the family after they wake up and get organized. The guide can drop you off right next to Corvettes Diner. No time wasted and you will probably catch more fish than most of the rest of us (ah-hem).

As a guy who has been trying to ramp up to fishing locally again for the past month, I can say that catching fish easily in San Diego is no longer automatic for anyone who drops a line in the water. It only appears easy for those who know where to go and what to do. Hence, the idea of a knowledgeable guide will make your short time fishing with your son in unfamiliar waters much more eventful.

#4 Mr. NiceGuy, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  5. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,079
    Sand crabs would work if they were around. Only dime sized ones showing up(so far) and that's if you're in the right place. I wouldn't waste time trying to locate them when you can go to walmart and buy a bag of gulp swimming mullets and do well with them. Bait shops do not sell sand crabs.
    As far as sculpin goes, if you do catch one, the bigger they are the easier they are to deal with. It's the little ones that will flip and get you when you're not expecting it. If you fish near the rocks or any other hard structure, your odds of catching them increase a bit. Especially the smaller ones.

6. mclanea

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +116
    Done the half day boats with my kids... always a virtual guarantee to catch fish... though sometimes doesn't feel a whole lot like fishing as they put you on the fish and you just drop a line, reel up a fish.

Over that way, Shelter Island (and pier) can be a fun place to fish.

Sorry to say that I'll be out of town that weekend. Sorry I can't help ya.

7. Paul the Great

Paul the Great Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    You are in luck. The fishing will be good to great from 1pm to 7pm. I wouldnt bother fishing in the morning. Others would disagree, but they would be wrong.

You can fish right at the Corvette Diner. There is basically a lagoon right there. The tide will be coming up. There are no sand crabs in this area. There are shrimp. Shrimp will be available to pump, the tide will be out, but you need a days worth of lessons to learn it, and all the equipment.

I dont know what type of fishing you want to do but if you just want to catch a small shark or sting ray, you would be in the right spot. Cast out dead bait. Fish are ten feet off shore, no need to cast to the airport.

The bay would perfect in the afternoon. Right tide, right time of year, there will be good wind, and its the second half of the mixed semi diurnal tide period. Slam dunk.

It would be worth renting a guide for the afternoon. And if you care, it would be perfect conditions to hook a big halibut. Might want to contact the few guides in the bay that will do a halibut only trip. Your odds of landing a legal halibut in 3 hours of fishing would be better than 75% out in the deep end. Landing a legal halibut from shore at Corvette Diner with live bait and perfect conditions would be less than 1%.

You could walk to the bridge from Corvette Diner and cast fish traps at the pillars and likely catch a spotted bay bass.

8. akammerman

akammerman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very cool that chances are good to catch some fish in that lagoon. Wasn't thinking of a small shark or stingray, don't think my light spinning rod can handle those. I'd be happy to be wrong. and I still may be able to find someone willing to rent me some equipment. I was hoping for maybe some rock fish and spotted bay bass.

Thanks for all the responses. I posted on another forum about spots near Disneyland and didn't get hardly any replies for months. And here I've received a lot of suggestions in just a couple of hours.

Can't wait.

9. Fatal1ty

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37
    Hey I recommended gulp . I like the 5in jerk shad and the 3in minnows I do a double dropper loop and fish the big on bottom and small on top ... Got 20 or so yesterday. Hali bass and a Corvina all on that same bait near harbor island

10. akammerman

akammerman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any place to fish docks in that area?

11. Mr. NiceGuy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +657
    Shelter Island Fishing Pier
    https://www.google.com/maps/search/...ier/@32.711591,-117.228108,689m/data=!3m1!1e3

Everywhere along the rocks at Shelter Island and Harbor Island facing the channel is a popular place to fish. There are always people fishing there.

If you have access to military bases, there is another pier directly across the main channel from Shelter Island at NAS with less people and perhaps a better catch. I met a Filipino last night for pizza who fishes there every week and was showing me iphone photos of all the sizable halibut he has caught from that pier. He said he always fishes with a drop-shot rig with plastics or live bait he catches with a sabiki.

I think the NAS fishing pier is this one:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7099133,-117.2179092,306m/data=!3m1!1e3

I do not have base access so I have never been there.

12. Paul the Great

Paul the Great Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Im pretty sure you know that a light spinning rod in the bay is like shooting an elk with a .22

You could land two foot sharks and plate sized stingrays with 4lb test from Corvette diner. The spotted bay bass will be 10" to 12", a small spinning rod would work.

If you are going to go out with a guide, they will have the right gear for you.

Seems like renting a rod and reel for the little water near corvette would be more trouble than its worth.

Sounds fishiy, but you could even have a blast hauling in mackarel from the shore there. Drop shot a sabiki with hot sauce on the feathered hooks. You will even likely catch smelt or other baitfish.

13. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,079
    Hot sauce covered sabiki feathers.... Bringin back my pier fishing memories lol.

14. Mr. NiceGuy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +657
    Sounds yummy

15. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,079
    If you're a mackerel or queenfish, it is ;)

16. T2Rob

T2Rob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I've been there recently with my boys amd have had plenty of action!We go after school for only a couple hours at a time..ghost shrimp get the most action for us! Light tackle seems to work best ...until you hook a Big0 Ray!!! Don't set your pole down a ray will take it ! Got these recently from just behind Corvette Diner

20150510_165248.jpg

20150510_152408.jpg

20150506_133831.jpg

20150510_160449.jpg

17. akammerman

akammerman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome! I had seen those pics in another thread, but I didn't know that you were fishing right there behind the diner. Living in Utah (I grew up in Ventura County but never fished growing up) our only goal on this trip is to catch a fish from the ocean. I think we would die if we pulled in a small ray or small shark--it would be so exotic to us Utah fisherman who are only familiar with trout, SMB, bluegill, and catfish.

Few activities beat fishing with your sons. Love the smile on your kids' faces!

Glad to know my light tackle will work. 6 lb line or 4 lb line okay? or Either? or heavier? Where can I get some ghost shrimp somewhat close to that location?

thanks again to all who are helping me.

18. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,079
    I'd go with 6#-8#. You can get ghost shrimp right there in the channel if you have a pump. Otherwise you are forced to pay ridiculous prices for a dozen, and that's if they have them. You're allowed 50 per day per person, but each person must pump their own and have their own storage container. You can buy pumps at tackle stores for about $20-$30, but you can use it forever. Beats $8 per dozen ghost shrimp that are normally oversized ones that don't get too much action.

19. akammerman

akammerman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've watched videos of anglers pumping ghost shrimp. They were on a beach at the water line. Help me understand how I would get them right there in the channel. . .

20. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,870
    Low tide look for little holes clusterd together.