Out-of-towner needs advice

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by TN_Fisherman, May 23, 2018.

1. TN_Fisherman

TN_Fisherman Member

Ratings:
    +35
    We’re here in SD for a few days visiting relatives. I need some advice on where to take my kids (ages 15 and 10) pier fishing while we are here.

We were planning on going tomorrow morning but could adjust the schedule. Also thinking of doing a half-day offshore party boat on Friday.

Which pier (or other structure) would you recommend we go to? We have experience FW and SW (pier and surf) fishing but all the SW has been in Florida, not in the Pacific. We brought our own rods/reels.

Also refs on what to use as bait and fish for would be recommended. Planning to get there by sunrise and stay 8+ hours depending on the bite.

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,824
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hit the jetty at the end of jetty road.. Use a small hook and shrimp pieces (make sure they are whole and uncooked, important), present this bait where the jetty rocks meet the sand .. Use surface lures or jerkbaits if you see bait getting pushed around .. Enjoy our very different weather..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Cyjake111

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,652
    Question, What's FW and SW?

If you're thinking of piers, ocean beach or ocean side piers are probably your best bet with market shrimp with size 6 hooks or a sabiki tipped with them. Our version of surf fishing here is a little bit different that on the east coast. Surf fish for us is light gear on a carolina rig with a gulp sandworm and cast into water structures on the beach OR heavy stuff like you're used to back east but for sharks and rays. You're getting into sd when the sunset bite on the surf is going to be great soon and next week the sunrise will be fun.

If i had to choose, I'd do neither of those and actually rent a skiff off of san diego bay (downtown or coronado) or mission bay and use swimbaits or market shrimp and slay the bass bites.

If you want to do a half day I suggest the chubasco II off of oceanside harbor. They're the only half day boat pulling in decent fish and if you go there with gulp camo or natural sandworms, you'll def slay whitefish. They've also been getting a monster hali (for san diego) almost every trip. They're also almost never packed. Parking is free as well.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. TN_Fisherman

TN_Fisherman Member

Ratings:
    +35
    How walkable is the jetty for kids? I love jetty fishing but know some are easier to walk on than others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,824
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    This jetty is a massive thing.. Tough for the experienced.. Any kid older than 10 won't have much of an issue if they have a sense of spirit of adventure.. Don't go farther west than you are comfortable with. I have seen some younguns out at the west end with flip flops, booty shorts and a bikini top (not smart), I would suggest going just past the blue house (you will see what I mean) and fishing on the channel side of the jetty if the kids can handle it... Might bring a can of corn and a loaf of bread as chum if possible.. Corn makes good bait for a few fish as well if you use hooks small enough.. Be on the lookout for smelt, lizardfish and mackerel.. Great bait and chum.. Keep your posts to social media generic to keep you out of trouble with CA dfg..

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  6. TN_Fisherman

TN_Fisherman Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Freshwater and Saltwater.

Thank you for the detailed reply! I’ll take a look at the Chubasco 2. The San Diego party boats are offering a free kid spot with each adult in May but I’d rather catch more than save a few dollars.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,825
    Name:
    Larry M
    Keep to the free places to fish, check the regs book, piers and jetties free. But check on some jetties to be sure.
    An out of state license will cost you your frist born. LOL. Have fun.

To Cyjake111, FW=freshwater.
    SW=saltwater .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    First- what area of San Diego will you be staying?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. TN_Fisherman

TN_Fisherman Member

Ratings:
    +35
    We are in La Mesa, close to Lake Murray (where we fished today from the shore and caught absolutely nothing)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,824
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Whoa.. My hood.. You have fishing licenses?

11. TN_Fisherman

TN_Fisherman Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I bought one. Fortunately kids 15 and under don’t need one (even if from out of state).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    San Diego freshwater fishing has got to be the worst in the country. Deep, clear man made lakes = terrible fishing.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,824
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Will be hitting La Jolla tomorrow with kyle12345 if you can meet up.. I fish for saltwater panfish around sunset if you're available..

14. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    If you got a saltwater stamp, then you can fish everywhere where shore fishing is allowed. For lure fishing, Spanish landing and the liberty station area has been hot recently. For bait fishing for sharks n rays, well I'll send you a PM on locations if you'd like.

15. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Fish tacos?

16. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,186
    I second the San Diego Bay advice if you just want to catch and release. Rent a skiff and head toward the mouth of the harbor on an incoming tide. Drop down to the bottom with a leadhead jig ( if you can put a small strip of squid on even better) and yo-yo the jig off the bottom as you drift into the bay. Repeat this pattern and You will hook up lots of sand bass etc. some times even Sculpin( look these up so you know what they look like,like have venomous spines and trust me you dont want to get stuck by one) and possibly halibut. The bite will shut off as you approach slack tide. At that point you can catch spotted bay bass or mackerell using other methods. The surf fishing is much more of a hit or miss and honestly the half day reports Im seeing havent been that great..have fun on your vacation! Cheers!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,824
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I hope.. Lol

18. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    For the Chubasco 2, if you go during the weekend make sure you leave early. Last time I went up I found parking to be a bear.

19. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    One other thing. Here in California, they are super strict about regulations. If you fish with Werfless you do not have to worry, but if you are on your own and keeping fish be aware of the regulations for keeping them. Under no circumstances should you touch a black seabass for example or keep an orange fish called a Garibaldi. They are strict and fines are insane.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,471
    There's some good advice in this thread, unfortunately a lot of the recommendations require a fishing license, and I'm not sure that is something you were planning on buying. My first suggestion was the Mission Beach jetty, like Werfless recommended, as I can think of at least thirty different types of fish that I have either caught myself or seen caught first hand in that spot. However, you did mention making a day of it, and spending all day on the jetty will wear you out. If you truly are looking for somewhere to fish for free, and you plan on putting in a full day, then the best suggestion would be the Ocean Beach Pier. It's has both bathrooms and a restaurant, so it is convenient to spend the day there fishing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List