Paddle Boarders, Kayakers, and drift boats

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by 12incher, Aug 11, 2019.

1. 12incher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +535
    I have now formed a disdain for the subset of those in this thread’s title who hug the shore oblivious to everything around them. I’m getting tired of having to yell at people who are so singly focused on their watercraft less the 20-feet from the shore that they keep running into my lines; next time or I may just need to hookup one of these and set the hook hard. What’s the obsession with paddling so close to the shore????

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. Oscar636

Oscar636 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    I hate it too! Out of the whole open waters they choose right by the shore where it’s the only area we can reach lol almost nailed a dude with a jigpara on a jet ski that came out of nowhere like a bat outta hell

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  3. Surface

Surface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97
    Even if you get off the shore the level of incompetence and inconsideration that exists with sail boats, jet skis, and other boaters is appalling.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Oscar636

Ratings:
    +148
    From my experience jetskis are the worst offenders lol

5. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +381
    Had a little cruiser boat with 4 young guys blasting loud music actaully make a straight up right turn to churn up the water about 15 yrds away from me in ultra calm water. My line was already out but since they wanted to play that petty game I didnt reel in when i saw them bee line towards me. Had mono so it floated, I let em take all 160yrds of 12lb mono and a texas rigged grub in their rotor. Definitely the most petty thing I've done but i think it was warrented..some people just don't get it. Or are complete a**holes

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    To be seen close-up by those on shore. That's the obsession. It's CMOS.. (Check Me Out Syndrome). "Clueless" is no longer an acceptable excuse.

Was at Spanish yesterday (stupid me) float tubing fly fishing. Had the same issue with several paddle boarders and a group of five that were distance swimming. I guess I'm just too difficult to see. But there didn't seem to be much sense in complaining about it since it was the weekend, and since now its just commonplace. I also think people have a bigger FU attitude now. Who knows why.. but I assume political climate has something to do with it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    A couple of weeks ago at Spanish.. in the No Wake Zone.. I'm guessing 35mph or so.
    Hi4xMZZ.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,257
    Name:
    Kenny
    This is perfect. Worth the $5 in tackle I'm sure.

I'd never intentionally cast to hit someone. BUT, rigging up a lot of lead or anything that will splash loudly and placing it within 2' of them should get the point across.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Oscar636

Ratings:
    +148
    Makes me wonder if the rental companies care enough to let the customers know the rules, jetskiers are compentant enough or they are just straight a-holes lol

10. NibbleSquad

NibbleSquad Active Member

Ratings:
    +195
    Agreed just the other week was hit by a rusty bay liner on my kayak. I think a lot of paddleboarders and kayaks stick to the rocks to not get hit by drunk boaters

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,502
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That is a good guess, right there!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. naimad

naimad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56
    was shore fishing at MB a few weeks ago had 4 kayakers roll up not to far offshore and form a half circle around me I had no where to cast total dick heads sat there for a few minutes trying to keep my cool finally fired a 2oz weight perfect cast if I didn't thumb the spool at the last minute it would have hit one of the guys in the head landed maybe a inch from the kayak they finally got the picture and moved next time I wont thumb the spool

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,502
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    And you may find yourself up on assault charges. Not worth it!

There was a case where a Cattle Boat Captain fired an Iron at a private boater that he thought was too close. The iron hit the cowling of the outboard, damaging it. Judge found in favor of the private boater and it cost the Captain dearly!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. 12incher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +535
    I was at Fiesta today with two lines out. A jet skier came outta nowhere hauling *** literally 10 to 15-feet from the shoreline. I had no chance to react so I just threw up my hands. The asshat missed both lines by inches. I shutter to think what would have happened if he would have been snagged, 50-pound braid with 70-pound top shot, hooky here...hooky there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,540
    Hugging the shoreline on a kayak or paddleboard reduces the effects of wind and current. The rental places actually encourage their customers to do so for liability/safety reasons. There's also the benefit of being a more difficult target for reckless boaters as someone mentioned. I'm not defending any rudeness on the water--had more than my share of conflict out there--but in most cases, these folks aren't going out of their way to cross lines and invade fishing space.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    I'd have to agree with that thought. But still, in alot of cases - especially with jet skis, its the adrenaline/excitement thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,415
    Boat:
    Montauk
    I agree entirely with the sentiments of the original post. Some boaters, PWC folks and other weekend warriors can be incredibly entitled and inconsiderate – particularly to shore fishermen as previously noted. It’s why I like to fish South Bay. Lots of elbow room and you can get away from the knuckleheads.

But let me offer another POV… Sometimes the shoe is on the other foot. This past spring my neighbor and I went for a spur-of-the-moment late afternoon, early evening sail in his Flying Scot, (no motor). We were in hurry to get back to the South Shores ramp before the wind completely died. I tacked back and forth to clear a point and had, (yes, had) to cut kinda close to three young guys drift fishing on a small runabout. I gave them as much clearance as possible, but was in an awkward position due to the wind angle and clearing Stony Point on Fiesta. So, it may have taken all of 5 minutes, and we were maybe 40 -- 50 feet max from the guys, but from the smirks on their face as we got closer, I knew something was up. Sure enough, a “hey guys, watch this” moment and one of the guys casts directly at us. The swimbait hit the mainsail over our heads and fortunately bounced back into the water with no damage or injuries. Hilarious, right?

And for the three fellas who we encountered, (who just might be members of this site): Respect – it goes both ways.

18. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,897
    My beef is the lack of respect. I get they hug the shore for safety reasons but have some common courtesy. If someone is fishing don't stop right in front of them to wait for your buds to catch up. Don't stop and take a rest right infront of someone fishing. Spanish landing is the worst for this. One day it seemed like I was being punked. Every paddle board and kayak seemed to stop infront of where I was fishing and would sit there. I thought I was being used as a waypoint. Either just resting, waiting for the group. One woman even decided to have a videochat with her family back in Missouri. I know this because the video chat took place 10 yards away from me right where I was casting. I primary fish artificials so I can cast around them somewhat. I can see it would be annoying trying to do the bait and wait thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,082
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Amen

20. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,021
    It happens a lot in summer. Most people renting a kayak, paddle board, or (worst) jetski. Are clueless to fisherman or general on the water etiquette.
    I usually shout out to kayakers & SUPers "you are getting to close to my line and hooks". Generally they just say "o oops and paddle away". Boaters and jet skiers are a other story. Usually they flip me the bird and make a nice wake as they dash off.

#20 Noms, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019