Paddletails on Straight Shanks?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Street_Carp, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Street_Carp

Street_Carp Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Does using a straight shank hook with paddletails (like Keitechs) to go weedless work? Would the action be affected considerably? Just wanted to try it this way beacuse of the hook angle and to increase hook ups, and I couldn't find anywhere in the whole internets about anything on this topic. Just T-Rig straight shanks with worms and sometimes creatures is all I could find. Would it work for grubs?
    Was thinking to rig like this with T, C, and DS

2. sdfriday

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +325
    Boot tails work great with jig heads with open hooks. If you are planning to use an open hook with a sliding weight in the front like a non-weedless T-Rig, it didn't work for me but maybe you can figure it out. When I tried a straight shank hook on a C-Rig, the hook wanted to roll to the bottom so the bait would spin a bit and the bait wanted to sit upside down or on it's side at rest. It was really missing that weedless hook as a keel. Only tried it once but it was enough to not try it again. Best to start with Jig heads.

3. Street_Carp

Street_Carp Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Yea, I usually use jig heads and EWGs with paddletails, but I just wanted to utilize a straight shank for weedless applications due to the different upward hook angle and the wider gap between the point and the eye. It would make sense to me for those 2 things to increase my hook ups, but if it’s going to diminish or even completely kill off the action of the bait, I won’t bother. I was thinking that it might roll

4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,088