Parents must be proud!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mcfish, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,865
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    A recent poll of San Diego county working millennials reported that over 70% of them said working 8 hours a day is unacceptable! Over 50% said texting, sending photos, and emailing friends while on the clock is perfectly fine! 41% said they're thinking of leaving San Diego for a better job...fine, dont let the door hit you in the arse! No wonder they vote democratic, want something for nothing!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,420
    This country is so fried. I want everything paid for me.. I want it free of charge.. I want it now !

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,118
    What's your source? What are the numbers behind those stats? Whats the demographic? Easy to spin a narrative with percentages.

4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,118
    I only ask because the few millenials I employ are some of the hardest working individuals Ive met. At our previous (and horrible) company, one would work 20 hrs a day, going home only to shower, and had to work 7 days a week without a day off for months at a time. Maybe it's the industry I'm in. No doubt there is a surge of entitled brats, but if you poll millennials from Rancho Santa Fe vs. Chula Vista, I'd bet you get different answers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,865
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I have 200 fellow employees, most are millennials..30% work hard, unfortunately 70% live with mommy and daddy and are working for beer money! Their parents are paying the kids student loans, insurance, and feeding them..that's not an incentive to work hard! The hard workers mostly came from another country where the parents booted them out of the house and they had to earn a living...and their government didnt give them free money, lodging, insurance and food! I believe the survey was done by a local university, who you would think would be covering the millennials butts!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,118
    Who's fault is that? Theirs or their parents?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,480
    As a millennial who works in an industry full of them and is dipping into our currently entering the workforce generation for our newest, best and brightest prospects, I'm inclined to take these numbers with a very large grain of salt. Most all of my co-workers of my generation tend to get incredibly salty at the prospect of anything less than about 38-39 hours. Near zero callouts. Never turn down working an extra day or 10-12 hours in a day. Yeah, texting and such is part of our daily routine, but generally as we are moving between tasks. I see more dedication to their jobs from them than I do from the older generations, despite being told by those same folks we need to be more dedicated.

This is really one of the main things that tends to rub me the wrong way when it comes to the conservative stream of thought. My generation has some bad apples. All generations do. But most everyone in my generation that I've come across in the past decade have proven to be some of the most dedicated and proud workers I've seen. We have grown up with the advantages of technology when it comes to learning, and communicating, while still having the experience of having, at the earlier margins of the generation, an unconnected world. The laziness perceived could well be a desire to do more than work and sleep for decades on end. Yes, we do want more connections with the outside world as we work. We are a social animal, after all.

Some of my generation are indeed just useless lazy sacks of flesh blood and bone who do nothing but feed off of their parents and society while demanding while society does even more for them. Blame their parents. They are the ones who ultimately have facilitated their children's behavior. I have had, over my ten years in my present job (I've been working since the age of 14, since that was what it took to keep a roof over my head and food in my stomach,) many such dolts come through. Many washed out, which is what they deserve. But some I was able to help steer along the path of good and light along the way.

So I guess my insanely long winded point is... Yeah, some of my generation just flat sucks. As opposed to just bashing on them, maybe, perhaps, in a way I can only describe as mentor-like, show the light to those who would see it. Not all will. But some will. And they can pass those lessons on to this new generation we've got growing, and maybe even their friends.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,420
    It's everyone's.. yours, mine, their parents, the systems', the governments', elected officials, the soft agenda-driven media, you name it. We're all responsible for allowing this shlt to occur the first time - and we were stupid not to stop it. Then we sat back and watch as it happened over and over. And you know the old saying.. You allow one to get away with it and you have to allow ALL of them to get away it.

I get it.. no one likes having someone else point out painful truth. But that's how it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Bwood

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +303
    Boat:
    BW
    Seems like history always repeats itself and “kids these days” are always a problem. Ya some will grow up to me suckers on our society but most will grow up and become productive members of society. A least I hope so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,813
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    All I know is if I had a lawn I would tell them to get off of it!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,840
    Name:
    Larry M

Screenshot_2017-07-13-06-31-01-1-1-2.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,606
    I think it was an ancient Roman philosopher who made a similar gripe about "kids these days", saying that they wouldn't observe formalities like standing up when an elder entered the room, and complaining that they wasted their lives away drinking and having sex instead of finding meaningful work. Believe this was written around 4 B.C.E.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,420
    Kids. Most are embarrassing to me. (Lack of) respect for elders is just a piece of this huge pie. I'm considered an elder now.. I still say Sir and Ma'am to everyone regardless of age. I still tell people how grateful I am for them providing even the smallest of things. And you know what? I don't see that at all from any of the millenials (and younger sets) that I deal with. Boys/men rarely open the doors for women anymore - I assume there's some bitterness mixed in there considering all of the sexual misconduct finger-pointing as of the last few years. And I understand if that's true. I wont even hug - much less touch - ANY of the women in my office anymore. And they are pizzed about it.. so much so that anytime they see the men greet each other with hugs (I don't generally love guys, but I love my male coworkers), they verbally quip and chirp little digs like; "Switching sides on us, huh?" "Standing in the wrong batters box?" etc..Those are the most popular quips we have to listen to. But this is where they've taken us, so I hope they can get over it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List