Paris Is Burning Over Climate Change Taxes — Is America Next?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Meezer_Man, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    The City of Lights, Paris, has been illuminated in recent days by cars set alight by thousands of protesting “Yellow Vests”—largely middle class people who earn their living by driving or who commute to get to work. The cause of their ire is a scheduled 25 cents-per-gallon increase in gas taxes, and about 10 cents on diesel, to fight climate change.

French President Macron, deeply unpopular, just reversed course on the new green tax—Parisians are already paying about $7.06 per gallon for gasoline, almost half of that in taxes.

If Paris streets burned over a proposed 25 cents per gallon climate change tax, imagine the global conflagration over a $49 per gallon tax.

That’s what a United Nations special climate report calls for in 12 years, with a carbon tax of $5,500 per ton—equal to $49 per gallon of gasoline or diesel. That’s about 100 times today’s average state and federal motor fuels tax.

By 2100, the U.N. estimates that a carbon tax of $27,000 per ton is needed—$240 per gallon—to limit global warming to no more than 1.5 degrees Celsius.

Of course, that isn’t going to happen. The economic wreckage of such a punitive tax would plunge the global economy into a permanent depression—and that’s assuming politicians could enact such huge tax increases over the will of their voters.

Keep in mind that the unrest in France was triggered by a looming 25-cent hike, which is a little less than 10% more in taxes than French drivers already pay. To meet the $49 per gallon tax hike recommended by the U.N., fuel taxes in France would have to go up 17-fold.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,686
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    More pie in the sky nonsense by people who have no idea about economic sustainability

3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,317
    I love watching how the protestors there (mis) behave. The Kavanaugh Hearing protestors (God bless their fuzzy and warm little hearts) could have used a lesson from the French on how to get attention.

edit" just adding some pics.. Seriously.. for all those Kavanaugh haters that were out there screaming and kicking.. take a lesson from the French. You want attention for your cause? Stop being softies and learn how to protest like the big boys.

Ceo1KEI.jpg fkOnnTT.jpg NSEEWzD.jpg

#3 Creek, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,480
    Does this mean we will see Sacramento burn to the ground next year? Or maybe the capitol building in DC? I've got a horrible feeling we aren't too far off from that here. On both the taxes and the riots.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,317
    I think Sac needs a good nudge like that.. you know.. just to keep them in line.

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,721
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Could Trump have been right about something??? What was the climate accord called again?

Jerry Brown could teach the French a thing or two about how to sneak in a gas tax.

#6 fisheromen, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  7. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,538
    This time last year my wife and I were right at the Arch de Triumph and visiting some of the up scale stores in the area. Glad we are not there this year. I'm kinda surprised as the French are usually a little more reserved with their rioting.

8. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,373
    Such a waste of time, money and energy. Earth is in one it's own cycles and there is not thing one we can do about it. Weren't we going to freeze to death in the '70s?. Nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    I remember the global cooling in the 70's =^..^=

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    This man-made global warming scam has never been about reducing the impact of human activity over the climate, it always been about increasing government and globalists power. If you discard all those "scientists" depending on government grants for their existence, the rest would rather have a consensus for the opposite - solar activity and natural phenomena have far, far greater impact on the climate fluctuations than human activity has if at all does it really matter. So all this noise about "We need to do something" translated into "Our government and UN should do something" which means more legalized theft from the productive peoples through various forms of taxation.

Maybe exempt would be those few at government funded NASA that discovered significant decrease in the solar activity and resulting cooling of the outermost layer of the atmosphere called thermosphere.
    NASA Sees Climate Cooling Trend Thanks to Low Sun Activity
    There are also many real scientists that remain not intimidated (or have a skeptical government as the Czechs) and disagree with that false "scientific consensus" that actually is not a consensus at all. Notice that the most vocal proponents of this man-made global warming are those that receive their money from heavily democratic governments, as our Scripps Institute or make their money from the scam as Al Gore does. No wonder that one of the contributors to the IPCC at UN report Ralph Keeling resides there, he even admitted his "error" in data manipulation https://www.washingtonpost.com/ener...warming/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fccb0ec64635
    Do you wonder why all such "errors" trend to happen always in the same direction?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. DDuvan1

DDuvan1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +491
    oh brother..............

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,215
    " Oh btother" what? People are starting to see through tge BS ypur side put out to put us back to tge stone age? Do you even know what the average temp on earth is supposed to be? Maybe humans existance is an anomaly. Maybe earth is uninhabitable exept during certain periods. We are basing man made climate change on temps over a few million years. The earth is Billions of years old.Studies have shown temps rise and fall and CO2 seems to follow climate change not preceed it. Temps peak and fall before CO2 levels peak and fall.

#12 Medicated fisherman, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  13. DDuvan1

Ratings:
    +491

Oh brother...............................

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,316
    Paris often has strikes and protests. From what I've heard, it is $6 per gallon and that it is more than just the tax - they are upset with the numerous government mandated items - i.e. the yellow vest you must have in your vehicle (but I see that as a good safety issue in the event your vehicle breaks down, put that on to be seen when on the side of the road - probably became mandatory after injuries or deaths). Paris is very congested with cars. I can understand the need to reduce exhaust dumping into the air - but it would be better to provide better alternatives.

15. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,215
    It
    Can't answer my question can you? So I get an Oh brother. Can't dispute me. Maybe you should just sit in the corner and have a time out. If you can't bring facts to the big boy table you should probably keep your opinions to the kids table. They will believe you after they believe in Santa Claus. Oh brother!

16. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,215
    Another question. Do you believe the polar ice caps are melting and ocean temps are rising?

17. DDuvan1

Ratings:
    +491
    SDFish is the big boy table? Your a funny one who gets angry easily but i'm the child. The scientists around the world are all wrong. But you know the truth.

again, oh brother.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,215
    You mean the studies funded by corporations that trade carbon credits or govenments that use them as an excuse to raise taxes?

19. DDuvan1

Ratings:
    +491
    I believe this. If you are wrong and our president is wrong our future generations may not have a world to live in. If the scientists are wrong we will have a cleaner environment. I'll stick with scientists.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,215
    The two can not happen at the same time. Fill a glass with 60% ice fill the resr with water put a thermometer in it and set it out. You're telling me the water will get warmer? No it would get colder untill the ice is gone then it would start to increase. If ice caps were melting at an excessive rate the ocean would cool untill the ice caps are almost gone then ot would rise to meet the ambient temperature of tye atmosphere.