Photos?

Discussion in 'Announcements, Support and Feedback' started by mcfish, Jul 3, 2019.

1. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,488
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Can't seem to download photos anymore...do we know the problem..or the fix??

2. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,825
    I now send them from my iPhone to my computer and before I send them...it asks on my iPhone for the size and I always push medium. I used to download right from my phone but the pics turned out huge on my post. Now I cannot use a pic directly from my phone as it says the file is too large. Hence...that is why I have not posted much lately. Again here is an illustration and hope it helps:
    Bass Photo on iPhone
    IMG_7994.PNG

select it to be forwarded to email
    IMG_7995.PNG

email it to your home computer
    IMG_7997.PNG

Select medium (1023kb) when you send it via email(so it becomes a smaller file
    IMG_7998.PNG

Drag photo from your email on your home computer to your desktop
    and later attach it to your thread or post using the button
    that says Add Photos on sdfish

Sample of post:
    MCFISH ROCKS AGAIN!
    mcfish catches topwater bass at Murray.
    Here is the photo to prove it....ha ha
    IMG_7994.PNG

#2 VinnyBass, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,326
    Uploads takes up bandwidth and storage on the website. Pictures from hosted websites such a s Flickr and Photobucket do not, so they work just fine and aren't limited in size, since they are copied (linked) instead of directly uploaded.

4. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,488
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    So..what happened to the old way we did it? You're asking a lot from an old dog that that can't seem to learn new tricks! Photobucket who? Tried sending from my Pad, that didn't work...wife won't let me touch her computer!!!

5. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,488
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I know this is somehow Mike Longs fault!!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,734
    Any digital camera today, whether it be a dedicated camera or a phone/tablet camera produces an image of much greater resolution in pixels than your display. The result is very large files. That resolution provides great detail for making prints but is wasted on a phone, tablet, or computer screen.

I resize all images that I post on SDFISH so they are 800 pixels on the longest side. File sizes are almost always less than 300KB and often less than 200KB. They display and look fine on a web page even on my iMac screen. They upload very quickly to the website and render very quickly when you view them Depending on the camera I used the originals may have been more than 10MB or even more than 20MB. So the photos I post here are 1/50 to 1/100 their original size.

Unfortunately the iOS native Photos app doesn’t have a built in resize option. I don’t know about Android systems.

There are a number of apps in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store that will resize an image and produce a smaller version without using the email trick.

The one I use on my Apple devices is Image Resize. It is very easy to use. You can create a new smaller copy and retain the original. It only takes a few seconds once you get the hang of it. I think the app was free or maybe 0.99. There is a “Pro” version but you don’t need it. There are many other options.

I also use Snapseed as a photo editor on my apple iOS devices and in the settings you can set maximum edge size for saved photos that have been edited. One of the options is 800

If you are editing on a computer just about any editing software will also have a resize function.