Pipe Jigs

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by William Ritchie, Jul 3, 2022.

1. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,055
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Anyone here have experience making and using pipe jigs for Bottom fish and Lingcod ? Going to be towing the boat up to Oregon in October . I am told that when filled with lead an electrolytic field is created when in contact with salt water and attracts the fish . Supposed to work on Halibut , lings and other bottom fish . Any info at all will help . Tight lines . WR 86097e476f6f42028df12060a81215cb.jpg

2. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,884
    Boat:
    It floats
    Interesting…

What about jumbo skampis?

3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,055
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Have used the Scampi in Alaska , Just thought these might be good as the weight on a reverse dropper . Size diameter and length sets the weight . Some heavy ones for deep , and smaller as needed . From what I can see in the pics a cotter pin anchors the swivel for the hook . Should be relatively inexpensive using scrap lead for the pour . WR

#3 William Ritchie, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,372
    That is an interesting theory on the electrolytic field it’s supposed to create. I’m a firm believer in attaching some sort of hook to your bottom weight, as the Lings seem to eat just about anything that’s big and bounces around their face. We’ve tried jumbo 16oz Scampi tails but we’ve had better luck with a heavy 7x Salas and an 8” piece of rebar attached to the same swivel. Maybe the clacking noise attracts them ? Maybe it’s just luck passing over a Ling area at the right time etc.. Anyway, I’d definitely give that pipe jig a go. Looks pretty cool..

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,055
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Some of the info I have read had a Hoochie , grub , single or twin tail , or bait on the hook treble or single . Seems simple enough to fabricate and try . All said put the hook on swivel or the fish have more of a chance of tearing off . Tight lines . WR

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,884
    Boat:
    It floats
    I imagine the lead Helps holds the cotter pin but I would prefer a cable from hook to swivel in the lead.

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,860
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    The truth is out there!
    upload_2022-7-4_17-55-31.jpeg

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,637
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Some of the best big fish jigs I have seen were made from structural rebar (1.5" dia +).. they were cut at a double angle like a kastmaster. Wild stuff. Write a report when you get back...

9. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,055
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Hope the weather will be cooperative . Small boats and big seas can be a bust . For those interested Bloody Decks has many posts about Pipe Jigs and use . Mostly Oregon and Washington . Should have thought to look there earlier . Tight lines . WR

10. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,531
    Bill, have you checked at Ifish.net? It's a PNW fishing forum, and may have some more info on something like that..
    Butch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,055
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    That is what prompted me to check them out , recent posts were talking it up . Also saw boats at the dock in Brookings with them hanging from the rods a couple of weeks ago . Cheers . WR

12. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,531
    Cool.... I kinda like that forum .. I've never been to Brookings, but have a friend that lives there,... My fishing partner just got back from there while on a road trip.... He was pretty impressed with the area.
    Sorry, doesn't help with your question...
    Butch

13. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,419
    The electrolytic field sounds like BS. There could be a weak galvanic reaction between the lead and the copper at the top of the jig but it would die off quickly with distance.

There is a bigger galvanic potential between copper and stainless steel or nickel plated hooks than between copper and lead.

Galvanic series of metals in seawater

If electrolytic fields caused fish to bite, there would be gobs of battery operated devices that do this more effectively.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,055
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Just how much fractional voltage can a fishes lateral line and other sensory organs can pick up ? Would be interesting to see tank testing . Sure a bunch of fisherman that seem to think it works , Maybe thats the point , fish what you have confidence in , even if it is just a piece of pipe . Thanks for the reply . WR

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,419
    Other than catfish, sharks and rays, most fish lack electroreception.

Sharks can detect E-fields as low as .02 uV/cm which is very impressive. But the fish you normally use jigs for do not have electroreception capability.

electroreception

There are sure a bunch of fishermen who will believe about any claim (fishing or otherwise). Lure companies love that. Very few lure companies present tank testing data or even field data.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans 4th turning is gonna hurt
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,042
    Still hoping to see a report on your hand carved wooden rigs for the hali. That would be so cool. Have a great trip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. A-Train

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,249
    Name:
    Alex

https://wonews.com/the-wheelhouse-scoop-outsmarting-fish/

18. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,055
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Thanks for the article will have to wait till tomorrow for my hard copy of WON . Trollers and others use what's called a black box for tuning voltage , some of the catch results are indicative that it works . I have not put a volt meter in the water with my boat yet . The information I read states that having the correct current flow , + or - , off the boat can make a boat fishy or not . Making sure all thru hull fittings , tanks , components , all go to a direct battery ground seem to make a difference to at least those who take stock in such things . Even amount of zinc anodes can change the current flow of the boat . . Taking a volt meter reading between the boat and the water is going to happen at my next launch . Tight lines . WR

#18 William Ritchie, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  19. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,419
    Completely agree about the vibrations. If you ever fish in clear water where you can see fish, every fish around immediately notices a bait when it falls in the water (at least the 1st cast), even if facing the other way or a considerable distance away. People sometimes wonder how fish can find lures in murky water but fish have no problem zeroing in on sound or vibrations (really the same thing from a physics perspective, sound usually implies in the audible range of 20-20,000 Hz and vibrations below that). We don't hear well underwater and don't do well locating by sound or vibrations alone but that doesn't mean they don't. Fish use both lateral lines and otoliths (ears) for sensing sound/vibrations.

As far as downrigger trolling for salmon with wire line attracting fish, the wire line often makes a lot of high pitched sound going thru the water, the fish might be just investigating this.