Playing Nice With Others...Or Not?

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by LHawes, Jul 13, 2018.

1. LHawes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +527
    I still consider myself pretty new to surf fishing as this my second summer and am still learning proper fishing etiquette and have read a couple different opinions/attitudes concerning fishing with or near another fisherman in the surf. They range from no problem, to mild concern, to downright anger and extreme territorial behavior.

Not sayin' which attitude is correct but wanted to share a story. I have been fishing a spot in North County pretty consistently and my first (first light) day there I spotted a really nice rip and some nice structure in the beach and headed right there to throw my first casts.

I looked up and there was suddenly another fisherman there and I thought, "Crap, that spot looks good," but just moved down the beach and gave him plenty of room. I threw my jerk bait the amount of time a jerk bait should be thrown before changing and switched to my Carolina rigged sand worm.

I forgot about how shallow the reef was and promptly lost the rig and also lost a bit of interest in fishing. I decided to wander down and talk to this fisherman and see how it's going. Great he tells me. Caught a couple short halis and this spot should turn on soon. Asked what he was throwing, checked his setup and told him I had caught nothing and had lost my rig and, he says, "Come on, throw something out here, the ocean's big enough for everyone."

I say, "You sure?" and he's like, "F@#$ yeah let's go get 'em."

So I throw on a jerk bait and we fish together for the next 45 minutes. Not right on top of each other, but getting very close a couple times as we each moved up and down the beach. He lands a 24" Halibut and I am utterly stoked for him. I get a short a couple minutes later and it was really cool fishing with this guy.

We introduced ourselves and left pretty happy with the day's fishing.

Couple days later, another couple guys are fishing down the way. They wander up the beach to where I'm fishing, we introduce ourselves and one of the guys encourages me to show 'em how it's done and we fish together and it was again pretty cool. He was throwing a green swim bait, I probably had on an LC but we caught nothing. Still had a good time and I'm thinking maybe even a better time with these total strangers.

Today, the third time I've seen this local guy and he's giving me tips and checking out my new rod/reel combo and the fishing was slow but wouldn't be surprised if he caught something after I left as he's pretty darn good.

Anyway I'm not going to assume everyone is friendly and wants you to fish next to them but these people changed my whole mind about the situation. I'm also not sayin' that you should let anyone come along and fish in 'your' spot if you simply don't want anyone near you.

I am sayin' that if you see me fishing, my name is Larry and you're welcome to come fish with me, next to me, any time you'd like. And don't worry, I probably won't be catching anything so you're welcome to show 'em how it's done.

#1 LHawes, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,385
    Same here..except my names not Larry

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  3. LHawes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +527
    Cool...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Direct C51

Direct C51 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +522
    Larry, those interactions seem pretty pleasant to me. I think the key is to establish some communication before throwing right next to someone. If someone comes and introduces themselves and chats for a bit, I'll give any tips I have, my fishing report, and offer for them to fish my spot with me. If someone sidles up next to me without saying anything and starts casting on top of me, I'll be pretty upset.

The absolute worst is when someone sees you catch a fish, then comes up and fishes on top of you without making the above mention contact first because they think you are fishing the only spot in the entire ocean that is holding fish.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  5. LHawes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +527
    This...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. zoner

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,346
    Name:
    Mike
    it's easy for a couple guys to fish a small hole in the surf. Most of the time the current is running to the north. First angler casts at the south end of the hole, using enough sinker to keep your bait down but let it drift thru the hole. When you get about halfway thru the hole the second angler can cast out at the south end of the hole while the first angler has drifted thru the hole ready to reel in and walk back where you started to cast out again. Just like following your bait on the rail of a drifting sportboat. Repeat as needed. Tight lines

7. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +922
    Totally agree. Theres a very sharp distinction in those terms....

8. JakeyG

JakeyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +35
    It's always cool to fish with strangers. Last time my buddy and I went surf fishing at black's, we met some backpacker guy who we traded gear and bait with. We ended up both catching stripers and he cooked it up on the beach with his little burner and shared it with us.

9. LHawes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +527
    Nice!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. Mike maio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    Name:
    Bigheat
    I never seem to have a problem with sharing space and stories with other fishermen it’s the rude swimmers and surfers I have a problem with . They see you fishing a spot and go right in front of you like you are invisible. Maybe I should just fish nude. Either they won’t notice me or the sight of me will scare them off.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,385
    You’d have the beach to yourself

12. kmayhugh61

kmayhugh61 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +383
    Direct C51 hit the nail on the head. I'm always willing to talk, share tactics, and work a spot with multiple anglers. But communication is key.

A few weeks ago me and Nickheid went to Blacks for an afternoon/night sesh. As we were collecting sandcrabs 2 other anglers were finishing up their time. We chatted, the gave us bait they weren't gonna use, and told us how the bite had been. Wish I had gotten their names.

That same sesh we had found a great hole holding active fish. After quickly catching several YFCs and Beans, 2 newer anglers came over, asked for advice (which we gave), and they fished nearby us. Awesome, great to help out new anglers! After a few hours of that a guy shows up, sees our spot producing, doesn't acknowledge us at all, and starts throwing his LC out ACROSS our lines (and tying up in our lines in one instance)....needless to say we got real pissed real fast....Anywho, just an odd instance of having polar opposite interactions in one day.

All-in-all if you see a short skinny brown guy who looks Middle-Eastern/Hispanic/Indian but is weirdly Chinese/Scottish its probably me. Come say hi! Tight lines all!

13. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,043
    We're all out for the same reason, the love to fish. 25 years in the surf, I have not had a bad time ever with any other fisher. Surfers and Mama Bears are a different story. If we all show respect and courtesy, the day will be good. But, there are those who know no etiquette and consider themselves entitled, everywhere. If i'm getting near someone (say 40 yds or so), I wind up and give some distance. There's another "spot' down the way if you just read the water.
    So, call me left out or something...Today, in 25 years of fishing the surf without DBs, nice hole at tower 17, all to mysef, no one else except swimmers (who I fish around within the regs), this DB comes on the south side throwing north right where my line is??? Really? If your on here, you suck!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. sozofish

sozofish Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I just got back from a week fishing Monterey Bay and up north of Santa Cruz. One morning my friend and I hit a big sandy beach. He headed south to the jetty, I go north toward lots of birds diving on bait. As I walked by a young lady from Southeast Asia I asked her if she was fishing for stripers. If so maybe try where the birds are feeding. I head up the the beach and she# tailing me. Birds gone by the time I arrive. Carolina rig on I’m yanking bsp and smelt almost every cast. She has on a big lure. So, I pull out stuff for a c-rig and get her set. 7ft ugly stik and Battle II 4000. Not my choice but it’ll get the job done. Drag on reel tightened all the way. So much sand in it almost impossible to loosen. She’s ready. First cast she lands a thick bsp. The smile on her face was huge. She catches more. A guy comes by and tells me that’s his wife. She loves to fish but doesn’t know what she’s doing. When they left I told her to cut the line and take the c-rig to Basspro in San Jose and have them set her up.
    Just a little bonus to a gre@t week of surf fishing.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. LHawes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +527
    Darn have to add DB's to the glossary thread....???

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,904
    Name:
    Kyle
    When swimmers decide to swim by you what is the typical protocol, feel like from what I read on this forum lifeguards take their use. By the way, ppl are dumb we fisherman typically fish in waters that are not the safetest to swim..

17. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,043
    When the flags go up, swimmers have the right-of-way and that's ok. I get it. Have had friendly conversation with the LGs and they know how it is. Out-of-towners, Mama Bears, etc,. There is always another spot down the way. I sure hope everyone had a better day than me today. Struggled again with two yellowfin and I'm supposed to know what the F I'm doing! Ya know, I love laughing at myself. (sometimes)

#17 Daddo, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  18. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,043
    Well, sounds to me like you made someone's day! Maybe more than that. Never stop!

19. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,043
    D-bags...

20. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,043
    I can say, I've met some of the most friendly people on the planet from out-of-state on the beach.