Please Mr. Trump

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mcfish, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EncinitasWomp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +528

You can find the Quran translated into English online. From what I remember, the religion doesn't allow adherents to use translated text or be taught out of translated text. That doesn't mean that translations aren't out there.

2. EncinitasWomp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +528
    I'll let Carterantebi answer for himself, but I think I answered your question in my response.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    One more question when I was in high school in Seattle I went on a clam gathering weekend with a friend. His parents were catholic and asked me if I wanted to go to church with them. I went with them but everything was in Latin. Would everything be in Arabic at a mosque?
    Another question I watch the history and discovery channels alot. And they said that Arabic women wear the scarfs to hide themselves from the angles above who try to sexually assault then. True?

4. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    Thanks

5. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Curious where you get your information. I've traveled a fair bit -- including trips to the Middle East. Traveled extensively in Turkey and Lebanon. Stayed with local families there... Took a comparative religions course years ago. Never heard anything like what you're saying... Where did you learn all this?

6. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    EncinitasWomp is correct, he pretty much answered your question.

7. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    See I knew that you could do it. You made a statement and asked a question without any anger. Proud of you !
    As always your friend Larry M

8. EncinitasWomp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +528

Did you ask? I don't know why this would be a topic of discussion with people you are staying with unless you specifically asked the question(s). Pretty sure this topic didn't make the cut of the Lebanon travel guides either.

Much of this information was gained by one, reading the Quran translated into english of course. and two, reading some of the numerous resources out there done by people who are way smarter than I am (i.e. have graduate degrees in this stuff). Not all of it done by Americans either.

I don't think there was anything earth shattering I said. If you want, I will take the time to send you the Surahs (chapters) of the Quran that talk about various forms of jihad, Islam's view on women, etc. for you to read for yourself.

If it's an issue you feel passionate about, read the Quran and form your own opinion. You may come to the same conclusion as I did or your view might not change. I tell my non Christian friends the same thing. Don't judge Christianity by what people who tell you they are Christians do or don't do or by what you may have heard, read the Bible yourself and form your own conclusions on it. More often than not, my friends have had a change of heart. You may not change how you feel about the travel ban, but I think you will have a different outlook on Islam.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. EncinitasWomp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +528
    I am by no means an expert, but I believe everything is done in Arabic with the exception the Imam giving his interpretation of whatever text they are studying. Obviously this has to be done in a language the people attending the mosque can understand.

I haven't heard anything about Bill Cosby-esque angels before, but would go out on a limb and say that isn't true.

10. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Anger? Larry -- we've been haggling over/debating stuff in the Lounge for years. Sure, sometimes it gets a little contentious. But no anger...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    Absolutely. These lounge threads have officially replaced my bathroom reading material.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    OK I'm a newbie here but I just wanted to put in my two cents worth, I guess with inflation it it should be my two dollars worth.

13. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Boat:
    Montauk
    I did ask and we had many interesting conversations. We didn't get into deep questions of Quran interpretation -- but did talk about faith and even terrorism. In fact the Boston Marathon bombings occurred while I was staying in Istanbul. Yes, we talked about it a great deal. And these friends were/are devout Muslims. They were every bit as horrified by terrorist incidents as you or I would be. They also sadly conceded that they would also probably be lumped in with these acts by the West. Unfortunately, it seems their fears have been realized...

I'm just glad you have read the Quran and didn't cite sources like ACT for America, Jihad Watch or any of that nonsense...

14. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    Now I see why you defend the Muslim people so much. Could it be a form of Stockholm Syndrome? Just asking.

15. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,467
    Literal interpretation of a religious historical document without appropriate context is not the best idea. Read the verses below. Do I think all Christians are woman-badgers? That menstruaton is a sin? Of course not. But someone that would read this without historical context may make that interpretation.

Now some could read this and use the literal interpretation and become radicalized by it. But the religion itself is not.

And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even. And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean. And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even. And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even. And if it be on her bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even. And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean. And if a woman have an issue of her blood many days out of the time of her separation, or if it run beyond the time of her separation; all the days of the issue of her uncleanness shall be as the days of her separation: she shall be unclean. Every bed whereon she lieth all the days of her issue shall be unto her as the bed of her separation: and whatsoever she sitteth upon shall be unclean, as the uncleanness of her separation. And whosoever toucheth those things shall be unclean, and shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even. But if she be cleansed of her issue, then she shall number to herself seven days, and after that she shall be clean. And on the eighth day she shall take unto her two turtles, or two young pigeons, and bring them unto the priest, to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. And the priest shall offer the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for her before the LORD for the issue of her uncleanness. Leviticus 15:19-30

And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people. Leviticus 20:18

But if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, and hath not ... come near to a menstruous woman..... Ezekiel 18:5-6
    Calling someone a "menstrous woman" or a "menstrous cloth" is one of God's favorite insults.
    Thou shalt cast them away as a menstruous cloth. Isaiah 30:22

We are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rag. Isaiah 64:6

Jerusalem hath grievously sinned ... they have seen her nakedness: yea, she sigheth, and turneth backward. Her filthiness is in her skirts. Lamentations 1:8-9

Jerusalem is as a menstruous woman. Lamentations 1:17

16. EncinitasWomp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +528

Figures your contribution has to do with Women's periods.... Classic!

17. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I absolutely love when people criticize Christianity by only talking about stuff in the Old Testament, when in reality they're just bashing Jewish tradition. It's pretty entertaining when people claim to have read the entire Bible and be an expert on it, and then start citing Leviticus, a book of various Jewish laws that are long outdated by thousands of years. You have to take the New Testament into consideration, and realize that it is perfectly fine to consume crustaceans on the sabbath these days.

18. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,278
    Again with the old testament? Are you antisemitic as you keep attacking Jewish text. Christians follow the new testament the teachings of Jesus. I understand your a bigot but please stop as you look rediculous.

19. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    ^^^That wasn't directed towards you particularly, but to all the people who pretend the New Testament doesn't exist, and that all Christians are actually just Jewish. @scisports

20. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Boat:
    Montauk
    No Larry -- nothing like that... This recent turn of the conversation got me to thinking about some of my travels and the people I have been fortunate to meet. It took me a while to rummage around and find these photos, but I will say without hesitation, they are some of the kindest, most generous people I've ever met. I would be proud to "defend" these people -- just as I'm sure they would defend me and my family...

upload_2017-2-10_6-18-6.png

upload_2017-2-10_6-24-17.png

upload_2017-2-10_6-24-44.png

upload_2017-2-10_6-25-21.png

upload_2017-2-10_6-25-45.png