Point loma / shelter island 3/31/21 late night

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Noms, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,335
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    Headed out a couple hours before predicted high tide around 11pm. Got to the spot and started running my line thru the guides. Tied on my 3/8ths jighead with a 3 inch smelt colored paddle tail. Set the drag and and noticed that something was wrong with it.
    Last time I had used it I didn't have a problem with the drag. This time no matter how tight the drag was it keep acting like a loose drag. Immediately realized that the braid was slipping on the spool now. Lucky for me, I stash an extra baitcaster in my truck. Learned to bring an extra after driving out to fish and really blowing up my reel on the first cast lol.
    Anyways I set up the spare baitcaster with the same lure and hit the water.
    The high tide was really up tonight and consumed almost the whole shore.
    First fish of the night was one I haven't caught in a while on a plastic. Worked the area for a couple spotties. All caught in the same area. Tons of micro bait around and some fish chasing bait near the middle of the channel. Couldn't cast far enough to target them and I forgot my heavier top water lures. Also saw an other person working the same area with a spinner and shorts. He caught a couple spotties as well.
    Left and went to closer to shelter island pier.
    Around 12:15am it was peak high tide and the water flow started slowing down. Only caught two more spotties and left after busting my lure off in the rocks.
    PXL_20210401_044549737.jpg

2. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,214
    Workin' the late shift to get the bounty... Nice..
    Butch

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. JV-Triton

JV-Triton Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Do you not use backing on your spools? A few layers of cheap mono under the braid will keep that slipping from ever happening (speaking from experience).

4. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,335
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    I usually do use a couple wraps of mono. Especially with older baitcasters. Was just excited when I got my sv coastal a couple months back. It didn't show up as a problem till I hooked into a decent fish last time I used it. I always wonder why modern baitcasters don't have that strip of rubber on the spool like some spinning reels do. Especially the baitcaster that don't have ported spools.

5. JV-Triton

JV-Triton Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Probably so we have to dish out extra cash for the "pro" or "elite" versions of the spools similar to how they sell power handles for reels that don't come with them as standard