Pontoon Vs. Kayak for Bay?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Pervin_Irvin, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Pervin_Irvin

Pervin_Irvin Active Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Name:
    Irvin
    Thinking of buying one of these for the bay but not sure how they would hold up in the Bay area, looking for advice. Also im going inflatable because I live in a Apartment and I also have a small car that I refuse to put anything on.

2. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,944
    Kayak

3. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,665
    You’ve got some tight restrictions my friend.. not sure they make a blow up pontoon for your car.. they do make a blow up Kayak for your enjoyment.. a hard kayak would be best from what I know so maybe you should buck up and learn to tie a hard kayak to the top as lots of others do.. if you don’t have room for a regular kayak, how the hell were you even considering a Pontoon boat ? Just asking....

4. BDHolmer

BDHolmer Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hobie IS11 fits in a bag that is about 3'x3' max. Have used mine in both bays and Sierras. Usually rent a compact car when going to Sierras and it fits easily with all my other camping gear. Head to Fastlane Kayak at Dana Landing and check them out

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,582
    Get a good aftermarket rack and car top a solid yak. I’d hate to have a fin or hook puncture your yak in the middle of the bay....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. barepixels

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +903
    Name:
    John
    Boat:
    No access to one
    Many marina rent storage space for yak. Not sure how much the average cost

7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,566
    Had to think on it....but pretty sure he meant a pontoon style float tube.
    Don't pick on him just because his screen name is cooler than yours.....

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Pervin_Irvin

Ratings:
    +106
    Name:
    Irvin
    Sea Eagle 285fpb 1 person Inflatable Fishing Boat. Package Prices starting at $599 plus FREE Shipping

Frameless pontoon boat, can fit in a trunk. Check it out old timer

#8 Pervin_Irvin, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. Pervin_Irvin

Ratings:
    +106
    Name:
    Irvin

This is what I needed to hear, I've looked up this kayak with hardly any videos on youtube. How does it hold up in the Bay, any problems as far as tears or handling?

10. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,665
  11. Pervin_Irvin

Ratings:
    +106
    Name:
    Irvin
    It's all good, I dont mind the tough love im a big boy

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,122
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    That inflatable Hobie is awesome. You will love fishing out of it and I think its pretty resistant to hooks too. Go to fast lane kayak and get all the info, those guys are not high pressure at all and know their SHEET on all things kayak and Hobie. They even let you go try them out for free I believe.

13. Pervin_Irvin

Ratings:
    +106
    Name:
    Irvin
    Alright im convinced with the inflatable Hobie, now the real challenge is how I can make stop my wife from verbally berating me

14. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,122
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Wear her down slowly over the next 20 years and say "oh, I'm sorry" a lot. Its way better than fighting tooth and nail. (I did that for the first 10 years) My wife actually upgraded me from a standard Kayak when I was looking to a Hobie because she thought she might want to try the foot pedals as exercise some time! Report back after you go to fast lane, you will be blown away by their service. They even fixed something for free on a used kayak I bought from them that was my fault, not theirs.

15. Pervin_Irvin

Ratings:
    +106
    Name:
    Irvin
    Hahaha thanks for both the marital and maritime advice, ever since I rented a yak I've had the itch to get in the water

16. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,122
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    The foot pedals are why the hobies are soooooo much better, you are fishing the whole time instead of arm paddling, then fishing, the foot pedals are easy, comfortable and you fan cast the whole time so your fish counts triple in all your trips. I have already gone through this lesson before with buying a cheap kayak first and once you try the foot pedals you'll never go back. They hold their value too if you choose to sell them later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Pervin_Irvin

Ratings:
    +106
    Name:
    Irvin
    Yea I tried arm paddles first and it was such a pain in the ***. Then I rented a hard yak hobie with foot paddles and holy crap it was like fishing on another plane of existence the only thing I wish I had was an anchor. Trying to re rig setups while keeping the yak from hitting the shore was making me nauseous haha

18. BDHolmer

BDHolmer Member

Ratings:
    +19
    holds up good in both bays. not really any problems with it. steering got a little tight a couple of times but the guys at Fastlane fixed it within hours of bringing it in. i'm certainly more careful in sd bay when it is busy. as said below hit Fastlane. great customer service and they will let you try one out. that's how I got the inflatable. when I first started thinking about getting a kayak I didn't even know the inflatables existed. I did know I didn't want one hanging out of my truck or on the roof, so I was sold on the inflatable. now I rent a compact car take mine up to Crowley all the time while getting 35mpg. only negative I can think of is taking it out in the ocean, haven't tried that yet.

19. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,566
    Okay...NOW we can talk about that screen name. My ex was okay when people referred to her as Mrs. Carpkiller....

20. Pervin_Irvin

Ratings:
    +106
    Name:
    Irvin
    Yea my name has been like this since the dawn of online video games, my names Irvin and im Pervin on yo girl bro