pouring plastic worms?

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by Trav, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Trav

Trav Active Member

Ratings:
    +3
    im interested in making a few custom color plastics. i honestly have no idea where to start. what type of plastic is the best to use? where can i buy some? any help is appriciated. thanks

2. mlfisherman

mlfisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I tried this a while back. I bought my stuff through lure craft...i think. Its not that difficult to do, but getting the color right isn't that easy. You need a mold, plastic, colors, and at least a microwave to heat the plastic before pouring. Don't do it inside the house because it will smell like plastic for a while. Look online and make sure you have everything you need before you start because it makes it much easier.

3. Trav

Trav Active Member

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the info

4. Shakey

Shakey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There's also tutorials on youtube on how to make your own molds out of resin to save money. You can also save up your torn/unusable worms and remelt them according to some videos I've watched.

5. mlfisherman

mlfisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +12
    This is true, but remember how many worms have multiple colors. It works best when you have a solitary color plastic to melt down and pour again. If you have a green pumpkin brush hog for example, and would rather have a green pumpkin worm, then melting the brush hog down and making a worm is okay. But if you have a multiple color worm like a chocolate blue vien, then melting them down will blend the chocolate color and blue color into something in between.

6. Bassgrabber

Bassgrabber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Name:
    Tom
    Hey Trav,
    If you need any help or want some advice and tips, hit me up. I would be more than happy to help you shorten the learning curve..

7. JJCJR

JJCJR Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go to Angler's Arsenal in La Mesa or your favorite dealer. Tell them the color you want to make and they will get them made to your specification for a lot less than you can ever do starting from square one.

Angler's Arsenal represents Western Plastics. Western Plastics has been hand pouring lures in La Mesa since 1986. They do not sell directly to the public but rather dealer direct. When you go to your dealer ask them to use Western Plastics when you make your decision. Minimum would most likely be in the range of 50 lures.

Hand pouring soft plastics at home can be extremely detrimental to not only your health, but to the health of all around you.

8. Lord Matthew34

Lord Matthew34 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I've done the custom plastic thing at AA in La Mesa a few times...definitely a whole lot cleaner then doing it yourself!

9. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +125
    Sure you can take an idea to AA and have them make a bait for you but there is nothing more rewarding than catching fish with a bait that you make yourself. Sadly I have not been able to do so for a while but I love doing it. I started with a place called Barlow's
    http://www.barlowstackle.com/make-your-own-plastic-worms.htm
    They have everything there for you to get started. WARNING! make sure you do this in a well ventalated area.
    IMG_0961.jpg
    These are some images of baits I was making before we moved and we had a child. I hope to be able to get back into making some baits again.

Other websites to check out are Jann's Netcraft
    http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/soft-plastic-lure-molds/

Also for some really cool molds
    http://www.del-mart.com/shop/home.php?cat=308
    Del-mart molds are not cheap but they will last a long time and the shapes are outstanding. I have a couple of them. However you can also make your own mold with plaster, and there are some other rubber materials also.
    Creating your own baits is fun and rewarding.

10. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +105
    There are definite plus' and minus' to each argument. I have had John at Anglers Arsenal pour some custom worms for me and he did an outstanding job. As someone who makes their own spinnerbaits, jigs, and now with my crankbait painting, it feels SO GOOD to catch a fish off a bait of your own creation. I will say that getting started is not cheap. Once you get into things the cost comes down significantly. It is VERY addicting (as you guys can probably tell with all the crankbait pictures I have been posting lately :) )

11. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +125
    Moose, I think you can agree with this, though it is easier to go tell someone what you want and get a bag of 30 or more baits of that same color. Making your own baits allows you to get creative. I have made some very interesting colored baits by mixing some of the scrap plastics. Big warning though, be careful melting down other companies baits. I tried melting down some grubs that I had bought and instead of melting they caught fire. So watch your temps, and be careful. Moose is correct the starting out cost can be high, but once you have your tools, and you're making baits, you'll learn how quickly you have more baits than you know what to do with.

It's a lot of fun, if you get into this enjoy it, and be safe.

12. Lord Matthew34

Lord Matthew34 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I pour my own weights...it definitely makes loosing them on structure less painful. I would assume the same would go for plastics.

13. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +105
    I started pouring my own drop shot weights last season and, damn, does that come in handy!!

14. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +125
    I guess in a way it is less painful, what was funny was I lost one of my baits on a log at Santee lakes fishing the beds and for about the rest of the spring I would go back there look for my bait and I would know where that bed was. Beds are easy to find anyway, but that made it even more easy.

I'm going to try and start pouring again but this time making saltwater baits, as well as some freshwater baits. I went for about a year without having to buy any baits. That was pretty cool.

15. Jimmy30003

Jimmy30003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Here are a few i put together what do u think of these

1522537675465799399400.jpg

15225376924171126318212.jpg

16. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +356
    Very nice hybrids! - my favorite soft plastics other than the ones that I pour.

(Don't know if you read my recent post showing some hybrids I came up with.)