Power Trippin’ Park Cops

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Moseley, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Moseley

Moseley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Hit up Seaside today for a quick session. As far as fishing, there were a couple decent pockets holding some small perch. The bigger story was the power-tripping CA park ranger trying to screw people who haven’t yet bought this year’s license. Fortunately, she let me go with a warning after a lot of pleading and a show of my 2019 license, but I can’t help but think that it’s pretty chickenshit to screw people on New Years Day. Don’t get me wrong - I respect law enforcement but threatening to hose people (especially people with no prior violations ever) on a technicality is a bad look IMO. Any else deal with anything similar today? End rant.

Tight lines and happy new year.

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,850
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Consider yourself lucky .Take the warning with thanks . It is 2020 and a citation could easily have been the result . A DFW officer may not have been so kind . WR

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Moseley

Ratings:
    +74
    I appreciate the warning in the end. That said, the real issue was the officer’s tone and overall demeanor. I’ve had a number of pleasant interactions with DFW offficers, but this was different because she was unnecessarily hostile.

4. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,419
    Name:
    Eric
    I'm not a fan of government or the police in general but...it is 2020 if you go fish without your 2020 license you're asking for it. I'm sure they got plenty or people for fishing without a license today, which is technically poaching and gives a bad name to fisherman. F the police but get yer damn license

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. Moseley

Ratings:
    +74
    I agree. It was an oversight on my part. But cops can enforce laws without being power hungry tools too. Tight lines.

6. Pinoyfisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +905
    Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like you have nothing to complain about. You got off lucky when you should have been fined.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Moseley

Ratings:
    +74
    It may benefit you to read the discussion above before commenting. I already said that I’m thankful. The issue was the cop’s lame attitude.

8. landman10

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +428
    I know that attitude your talking about- Let me talk down to you (power trippen) and if you give me any lip I'll right you up. Then again I have had some great interactions with the law.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,491
    This pure GOLD!
    Power Tripping DFW---Doing their JOB.
    "A technicality"---A.K.A, The LAW.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,419
    Name:
    Eric
    They can confiscate your gear too. There's a right and wrong way to deal with people, but fishing without a license on the 1st is like drunk driving on new years eve..you should expect to get caught and be shown no mercy

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Moseley

Ratings:
    +74
    Seems to me that you have a very black and white view of reality. Also, your post is beside the point. I know I screwed up. Never broke the law before and did so unintentionally this time. As I’ve already said above, my only problem with the situation was the ****ty and unnecessarily threatening attitude from the officer.

also, this wasn’t DFW. This was a state park ranger. DFW has always been more than reasonable.

#11 Moseley, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  12. Jordand

Jordand Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410
    I think you may have the wrong audience for complaint about getting caught without a license! But glad you were able to talk you way out of a citation.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Moseley

Ratings:
    +74
    totally agree. I’ve never had any interaction with any officer while fishing that was like this. 99.9% of them are reasonable and use appropriate discretion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,509
    Name:
    Larry M
    I see that the Christmas spirit of good will towards men is over and it's only day one of the new year. LOL

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,212
    I hate paying fifty bucks for a license but Im actually pretty happy to get asked for mine afterwards...and seeing scoflaws get pinched when they fail to produce. That being said...if you had your 2019 license with you and pleaded mea culpa to a New Years Day brain fArt I would be disappointed to not be given a Mulligan considering its the first day and its more than likely an oversight..most DFG and Rangers are pretty chill...maybe she was crudo from too much New Years cheer...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. TekAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +417
    I agree with the OP. It's obvious this civil servant was out there just to power trip knowing it's only the first and people can easily forget that they have to renew. I was on my way out to fish tonight when I remembered and cancelled. I have never had a the park ranger anywhere ask to see mine. Is that even their jurisdiction? A few times I've fished a couple days into a new year without realizing I didn't renew yet.
    Power tripping rent-a-cops try to get off on scaring people. I think if you did get fined the judge would have let you off seeing as it was obviously an oversight.
    Only thing you did wrong was the "pleading" since that's exactly what gets their rocks off. if it was me I woulda told her to either write the ticket or chew on deez n***z.
    I did that to a power tripping CHP who gave me a ticket for breaking down on the side off an on ramp. I went to court and it was dismissed. He didn't show up because he knew I would have gotten off anyway.

17. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,799
    Rules are rules. Buy your license

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Dionisiooh

Dionisiooh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Sorry, but Rules are Rules..
    How was her demeanor at first contact? Was she rude, or did it change when you told her you didn’t have a license?
    Ask Santa for a fishing license every year. That way you get it on the 26th, and you wouldn’t get “hassled” for not having one on January 1st.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Moseley

Ratings:
    +74
    She was lame and overly aggressive before I even said a word. Also, what does it matter whether she became rude before or after she had something on me? By that logic, cops could justifiably be dicks almost every time they stop someone.

20. Moseley

Ratings:
    +74
    And the sky is blue sometimes. As made abundantly clear in my posts above, I agree that I was technically in the wrong. The issue was the toolbag attitude I got from the officer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List