Premier 5/20

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Redjim, May 21, 2019.

1. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,503
    The ocean was an angry one yesterday, she was not calm and productive as we are generally accustomed to here in San Diego. We stopped at the baitbarge to grab some dines, I found a nice 17 inch sandbass down on the bottom. Westbound and down... It was blowing rain on the way out, bowspray was landing on the stern rail and the bumpy road began. We got the hook down and holding, it was a very slow pick on a handful of rockfish. We moved spots, just a bit south of the point. I dropped down a whole shrimp on my dropperloop and began to drag it topside of the rocks. BOOM! I got hammered, but directly into a hole he went. I hollered out that I had something good, and Brandon (captain) said oh, what do you have a granite grouper? I told him that I did have one for sure, but that there was a good fish between me and that roca grande. He was sure that I was just messing around, but I took my rod first towards the stern and then towards the bow to get an angle on it. No dice, so I do the whole pole shake thing with drag tightened down. Somehow my reel didnt lock all the way into gear and when i jerked the rod, my little diawa rg 100 exploded with 30 pound braid all knotted out. At this point Brandon asked me if i really had a fish and i told him i did but that it was gonna be rough (showed him the braidsnest). The evolution that occurred went like this: I held the braid away from the boat so it wouldnt rub, and Brandon proceeded to try to get the mess serviceable. I'm holding the line and telling him that I can feel the fish pulling. 45 minutes later Brandon has pulled out most of the rats nest, and he tells me that he cannot get any more. At this point I have him hold the braid while I grabbed another rod and reel (7'2" medium heavy with a Penn 100 surfmaster) and spliced the lines together with double uni. I turned the handle and brought that bad rattlesnake up and over the rail. It was a large model, hell of an adventure I will never forget. Weather was stubborn, we went inside for the remaining portion of the am trip. A few spotties, a sandbass, two sargos and a half dozen smoothhounds. The PM trip we ended up going outside, the swells had died down and the water was a bit less angry. Very slow day. We got back towards the barn without issue and another one in the record books on my preferred boat. Tight lines.

20190520_091846.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,945
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Way to stick with it

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,068
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    .... +1 for effort.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Name:
    Chris
    Makes it taste better. Nice job! Always love going on that boat just wish I was closer.

5. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Name:
    Eric
    Nice sticking it out. I saw on marinetraffic that the Premier was inside of the bay in the AM and I wondered how bad the weather was to be fishing inside, it very rarely happens.

6. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,316
    Name:
    Kenny
    Are the targets are bass and halibut? That could be a nice change from rock fish.

7. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Name:
    Eric
    There are a lot of big grumpy sand bass and quality halibut on the deep edge of the channel...it'd make for an interesting 1/2 day trip instead of going for 6" rockfish.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,062
    Dang what a fat sculpin. The crew and captain don't scold you for using a 100 size bass reel for rock fishing? I've gotten a few words told at me when using bigger bass reels rock fishing.

#8 Noms, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,369
    Name:
    Ray
    I can't wait for the day a crew or captain attempts to scold me for fishing however I choose as long as it doesn't affect other anglers. They are not paying you to catch fish. You are paying for them to provide you the opportunity. Folks seem to forget that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Name:
    Chris
    I’ve had some make comments about the octopus jigs and synthetic bait I drop down. Right up until I start pulling consistent legals over the rail ha.

11. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,349
    Beautiful fish!

12. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,503
    We stayed out as long as was safe, most people chummed over the rail. We went back in and folks were happy, caught a few fish and had a change of pace like you said. I have always wondered why theres not a sporty that fishes half day bay runs, I would think it could be a moneymaker and being cheaper than an ocean bound halfday, would encourage more folks to check it out. We were going for flatties and sandbass, caught mostly spotties, sargo and dogfish.

13. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,503
    Thanks my friend. The captain and crew are dear friends of mine, and the Premier is like home. Using a small reel stuffed full of braid is always my goto for local shallow water rockfishing. Deepwater or fishing in a locale where the grade runs larger on average would dictate using heavier gear. I have fished the 9 with my 100 size baitcaster and about 250 yards of 30 pound, I dont have power handles on my little guys so that's a bunch of cranking the cranked. I have captured bonito upto 10 pounds on that little reel and a 7-8ft mh 12-25 pound rod, as well as a double sandbass hookup (15 and 19 inch models). Its always a good time on the Premier, come on out one of these days. Tight lines

14. ironmike

ironmike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Name:
    Ironmike
    Jim, Sounds great... ballsy fishing!! beautiful Sculpin, love them!!