Premiere 1/2 day. = waste of time

Discussion in 'Sport boats' started by Tommy Chang, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Tommy Chang

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +525
    Boat:
    Out of commision
    Howdy,

I usually get annoyed when people talk crap about speedboats. They are trying to make a living doing this. It' not the easiest thing to do . Granted. But this is just beyond me. Premiere half day 42 anglers. 35 rod renters. Captain treating everybody pretty noob. Understandably, this is the problem. Total fish count was 70 Rock fish. All 70 Rock fish, biggest was ten inches. Ten freaking inches. We stayed at the same spot for 3 hours. No bites, refuses to move the boat. I kept *****ing in the background and he heard me. He brings the anchor up, says were moving. We moved I kid u not 75 feet from where we were. Redrops anchor. 4 hours of no bites. And when u got a bite. It was a 6 inch fish. I could have caught more fish with a hand line and some bait on the end of it at the pier.

Realistically. There' 42 paying people on the boat. U went to one spot, no fish. Refuse to move and sit there for 4 hours. 4 freaking hours. U that tight about petrol?? Don' U want the new people to have fun, goto the kelp for calico for God's sake. . I mean. Just Terrible. Beyond words. If there were 7 people on the boat and u can't make so u don't wanna use gas. I understand. This is just non sense. Then to have the gaul to come on loudspeaker and say that how it is sometimes. Sometimes they bite sometimes they don't. I mean dude. If u moved the ****n boat one ******** time, then ****nn maybe jackpot fish wasn' a ****n 11 inch tree fish. Fkn. Poor excuse for a captain. Hope u saved enough petrol dick, and next time There's no bites. Why don't u chum the ****n water instead of being a ****n stinge and not chumming anything . Dead bait. Live ones. Whatever. Rant over.

NV out.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  2. Tommy Chang

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +525
    Boat:
    Out of commision
    "Sportboats"

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. George Pusey

George Pusey "chowder"
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Livingston 15ft
    Come out in December right before rockfish season ends. And you usually only get 10-20 people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. frankiefrank

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +605
    ouch!

5. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,351
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    One of the many reasons I don't fish the Premier.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,707
    Boat:
    3 too many
    We need to hit the daily double

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. GKR1

GKR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Just stop going on 1/2 day boats. The handful I have been on are all rod renters and hardly anything worth your time n money. Fish the surf or on the rocks and you will do much better and way more rewarding. Spend more and go on 3/4 days. My 2cents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,001
    I would think many of the renters on the 1/2 day are here for a short time on vacation. They want to fit in as much as they can, so a 1/2 day works for them. No idea how they make a choice as which 1/2 day to go on, but they probably aren't going to be returning anytime soon - meaning in the next 3-4 months, so it may not matter to the captain if they catch anything. Not happy with their service? Don't go back. That's what's worked in the past - but social media screwed up everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,799
    Mondays on the Dolphin can still pack 40+ people even in December.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. kyle12345

kyle12345 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +320
    Thank you Tommy. These reviews help us not waste precious time and money. No excuse for sitting on the same spot for 3 hours. Fishing is fishing, but at least you have to try.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. kingkao

kingkao Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Thanks for the update, it helps for the rest of us when we choose charters.

I love it when the boat is only less than half full.. gives me more room to move around but that hardly happens for me in the last few half day trips I went on during late summer. I had to deal with having lines cross, people not moving when the fish runs my line and I gotta weave around theirs or watching person next to me not use their rod properly. I remember stopping one time and showing the guy next to me how to properly hold and use his renter rod, it has nested so much. On this other trip.. I was doing so good and then this guy decides to fish right up next to me because he was skunking... and gets his line tangled on mine. Sounds mean but when I go charters with lots of those tourist renters.. I hope that half get seasick so it is less rods in the sea or more room for me to move around. Overall.. I feel your frustrations. I'm looking forward to winter time as it will mean less renters... well here's to hoping this year.

12. lone_wolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +675
    I obliged to take a gamble on this boat with Tommy Chang, but seeing how the average fish coming over the rail was 5, maybe 6 inches, and deciding not moving was the call, was hard to swallow. Chumming was non-existent, and i was baffled by it, especially if you planned to camp that zone. Honesty i knew we should have opted with daily double or dolphin, even new seaforth, but i am always willing to give a boat a try. I guess i should have suspected something when this boat offers groupon, but the only way you can pass judgement is if you experience it firsthand. Understandably its called fishing not catching, but more effort from the captain would have got them return business from me, but not anymore.

Not to mention deckhand talks **** saying i lost jackpot fish cuz i was pumping lol. Fuk you.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Cyjake111

Cyjake111 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +675
    Well there went my next half day choice. I had a horrid pm trip on the dolphin when i caught the jackpot fish and the deckhands pretended i didnt even exist. No tip from me. Was gonna go on the premier but this sours me. Daily double then?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  14. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,492
    The reason the fish are only 10' is because the inshore spots are so pressured that all they produce are juveniles. They never have a chance to grow up. The RGF management passed in the early 90's pushed all inshore fishing into 360' or less off of San Diego. The more natural structure a coastline had, the shallower the depth restriction was. So in some parts of California, the depth restriction is 180'. I mean, lets be honest.... I can understand them passing legislation stating you cannot fish shallower than a certain depth, but DEEPER? That's just STUPID! They used commercial long liners as their justification. Last time I checked, no recreational fishermen deployed long lines. So what happened? The rockfish got more and more pressured, and the size and numbers dropped. And that's EXACTLY what they knew would happen.

Then here comes the MLPA a decade and a half later. They were armed with the aforementioned information- declines in size and numbers. So they started shutting down certain areas for fishing. The blue ribbon task force fought them, but it was a mute cause. All meetings were supposed to be open and transparent. Only 2 of the dozens of them actually were. These people want you eating tofu, not fish.

So to be honest, I understand your frustration with the skipper not moving. But I think at this point it's going to be the same story wherever you go. That's why kayakers and recreational boaters have the advantage for targeting rockfish. They have shallow drafts and can target rockfish within the kelp. They just drift right over the top, and can tie off to stringers. The 1/2 day boats are limited to their range by their time restraints. So they're not going to motor for 45 minutes to a new spot. I would just avoid the 1/2 day boats if I were you. Save your money for the 3/4 day boats.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. kyle12345

Ratings:
    +320
    Interesting points, going to re-think my half day plans...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. George Pusey

George Pusey "chowder"
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Livingston 15ft
    I could give you a logical reason why you did what you did Tommy Chang but I know there are some regulars on here who wouldn't like if I were to throw shade. Don't think this has anything to do with rockfish populations decreasing in size and number. Not disagreeing with Fomen but I don't completely agree either.

17. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    Chubasco II...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. George Pusey

George Pusey "chowder"
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Livingston 15ft
    Did you bring this to their attention? Or did you assume they would see it, sometimes they don't and that's why they always ask if you think you might have a bigger fish.

19. kyle12345

Ratings:
    +320
    Is this a good boat to go on?

20. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    That is the only half day I ride and when they run a 3/4 and I have the time off I will ride it over any other. From captain to cook the whole operation is top notch, plus I like that their half day leaves at 9 so I'm not waking up at 3am just for fish taco meat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List