Public launch ramps - MB, Shelter Island, etc

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Ken roe, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,172
    The traffic counter at my local Walgreens is so bad that it won't open the doors until you lift your face. Literally if you walk up to the doors looking down with or without a hoody or hat on, the doors won't open. Only once you tilt your head/face up does it open the doors for you. I've tested the theory many times as I purposely walk into the doors over and over again. In order to create inform and have a conversion with those who are watching me.

2. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,172
    Tensions are very high right now down in the MB marinas. I watched a guy who apparently snapped the other day take his dingy out and run figure 8's around the back cove flipping off the park rangers rangers/ bicycle cops and boarder patrol agent who were all standing on shore demanding that he get off the water. As I sat and watched it for 2 minutes or so I was waiting for lifeguard or harbor patrol boat to come up. A meter maid pulled up along side of me and told me I had to move along and that I've been stopped for to long.

Something's got to change.

3. TekAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +819
    Traffic counters are not connected to the door in anyway. That's a motion detector that is part of the access control system that triggers the door to open. I used to work on those systems too. That sounds like they have they motion detector beam adjusted at too high an angle...anyway won't go off on too much of a tangent lol.

4. Direct C51

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +944
    I agree, something has got to change. People can’t stay locked in solitary confinement for weeks and weeks. We need to open the beaches and use all those meter maids and lifeguards to enforce social distancing, not an all out ban on beaches.

The stupidest thing of all is the boardwalk closure outside my condo around sail bay/crown point. The 10’ wide boardwalk is closed, forcing everyone on to the 3’ wide sidewalk up the hill. The lifeguards are literally yelling at people to leave the empty boardwalk and join the crowded sidewalk. Zero common sense going on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,307
    that guy in the dinghy does that every MWF.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,924
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Sounds like he's a little dingy!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,797
    Thing is people won't listen to meter maids or lifeguards. Open up the beaches and park, people will flock back to party or hang out. So it will not work sadly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. itch2fish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +779
    I've been working as a nurse for around 20 years. This is the biggest public health crisis of our lifetime. Stay home. There is no cure or real treatment. The virus is highly contagious. California has done a better job at decreasing cases than many other states precisely because of shutdowns like these. Continuing to follow stay at home orders on a large scale will keep the spike of cases from going higher. Disobeying the orders before it is safe will lead to more deaths. It really is that simple. Not being able to fish sucks, and I'm feeling caged in. But I'm also seeing very sick folks at work. It's important to stay home to decrease the spread. Rant done.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,924
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I don't believe that. I don't believe that is what was happening before the beaches were closed. There is a beach still open and that is not happening.
    If one were to take an arial view, via drone, of the beaches, they would not find people shoulder to shoulder. What they would find is people clustered in small groups better known as families and friends. Those same groups that are now gathered in houses. Where are these groups more likely to infect one another? In the open air or couped up? At a lake or in a store? On a trail or at Costco?

Another thing. Why are "essential" workers not contracting C-19 at high rates? I have 2 close relatives that work at Costco. None of their fellow workers have come down with Covid-19. One of those workers comes home to my house every night. If I get this disease it will not be because I was at the Lake, fishing!

One last thing: when we finally are allowed to go back to business as usual, what will keep this virus from taking up where it left off? Do we really think we can eradicate this microbe? We are being told that a vaccine is 18 months away!

#29 fisheromen, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. Direct C51

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +944
    My post went directly over your head apparently. People are listening to meter maids and lifeguards. They are being forced off the 10’ wide path by the meter maids, and on to the crowded 3’ wide sidewalk. My point was that people are going to go out to exercise, get fresh air, and walk their dogs. Might as well give them a bigger area to do this in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,221
    Well said, thank you for your efforts during this crisis!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,221
    Idea is to reduce rate of infection to minimize needless deaths due to no access to ventilators, hospital beds, etc

Count yourself blessed (of course!!), only a matter of time as other Costco’s have found out
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/briannasacks/more-costco-employees-test-positive-coronavirus

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,924
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Those were office workers, couped up in a room with each other. The new mask requirements for workers is a good thing if done correctly. If used incorrectly they could make it worse.

My point was that shutting down outdoor activities is not only useless but counterproductive in that it will cause people to "get out" in more dangerous ways. People will NOT stay confined indefinitely!