Pyramid Lake Fishing: Smallmouth, Largemouth and Catfish!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Pourboy, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881

Hey all!
    I headed out on a new fishing adventure. My wife took her daughter to Cabo for a graduation present and girl’s week so it was my job to entertain myself for a week. I always enjoy adventure time on my own and this was no exception. I decided to head up to Pyramid Lake (California) on the Grapevine north of LA in search of smallmouth bass. I love catching smallies but have never gotten one here in California. After doing some research I settled for that lake. I had never fished that lake nor did I know anything about it except that I drove by it from time to time and always wondered what was in there. I found out that they have a largemouth, smallmouth and striped bass as well as trout, catfish and bluegill. There’s a good start right there! I booked a campsite at Los Alamos Campground about 5 minutes from the lake and paused for a moment when I realized that Basically I had the choice of any campsite in the campground. I wondered if it was actually a decent campground or if I was in for a particularly unpleasant surprise when I got there. Oh well, it’s an adventure!

I started thinking about what baits to use and bring and figured worms, jigs, and Ned Rigs would be a good place to start. I had some extra nightcrawlers in the refrigerator from a previous fishing trip and threw those in the cooler as well. I drove up there it took about three hours to get there and saw the temperature raise substantially as I began going uphill. It got to about 106°F and I knew that it would be a warm day on the water. I brought along my float tube but did not know any of the restrictions in the area as this was a different county. After getting up to the area I consulted with people at the lake and they had no idea what the restrictions were for a float tube. I finally found out after talking to a couple of fishermen that I had to get a quagga mussel check and that you do not have to pay for fishing on the lake only for parking and for the launch of your vessel.

The lake opened at 6 AM and I was on the water shortly there after. After making my way into a couple of bays that were recommended to me By one of the fisherman that I had met I began my fishing. I ended up hooking into something feeling pretty good not too long after starting my trip. It was on a bass jig with a brush hog trailer and it ended up being a catfish. I was kind of disappointed by this but I guess the fact is I was catching fish in a brand new lake and that is all that mattered. Shortly there after I ended up losing a nice largemouth on a Ned rig. It broke off after fighting it for a little bit I guess I had a little nick in my line, oh well. I headed into a new Bay and found some tules in the back of the bay and then ended up getting one flipping a jig there. My camera had overheated in the heat and I didn’t realize that so I didn’t get it in the video. I was kind of bummed by that. I got a couple of other small bites but that was it for the morning. I headed back to the car and grabbed my nightcrawlers from the cooler. I figured if the bass fishing was slow in the afternoon I could at least go for some stripers or catfish as I had heard that they would bite the nightcrawlers. The afternoon turned out to be very different than the morning.

I ended up getting a number of catfish and largemouth and smallmouth bass in the afternoon. After getting my first smallmouth I felt as though I had gotten what I came for. All in all it was a great trip I got the smallmouth and largemouth later on Ned Rigs. I ended up getting a bunch of catfish on nightcrawlers too. Such a fun day on a brand new lake. It’s fun to fish the Home Lakes but always an adventure and something special to try something new.

I ended up staying on the water until 6 PM. It was a hot day on the lake but I hardly noticed when the fishing heated up. I highly recommend going up there and experiencing it for yourself. If you want more details check out the video. Cheers all! See you on the water!

A258FA26-992E-48DC-8CE3-BD3F6849ECC5.jpeg

98BBDE13-48CD-44D5-94D3-728B5CC54CF9.jpeg

329D78D4-9E63-4229-A22F-F66AD04334D7.jpeg

4371A7E3-38BC-4A19-940D-49F2A0203056.jpeg

9E6C2F96-F9E1-49CC-A493-B801AD788315.jpeg

72A51147-ADBD-4D54-B4C6-F40C427D467A.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Beautiful place, what a nice adventure. Nice variety of fish.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Nice fishing and pics... It can definitely get warm up there, and I'm happy the heat didn't keep you from having a good time...We used to go up there a lot when I had a boat and my kids were young... It was my local lake for fishing and water-skiing... Haven't been in years... I guess there's still fish in that ol' pond.:emoji_wink:...
    Butch
    Oh, and my Brother, a couple of buddies and I fished the Upper Piru Creek above the lake, before the dam and lake were built (we were teenagers then ....Early 1960s)

#3 Midnightpass, Jul 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  4. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,894
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Where's the beers??? New lakes are always an adventure, putting the puzzle together!

5. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    I heard about the creek. Still fish there?

6. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    There was still a new beer on the video! And maybe a couple that didn’t make the vid too! I sweated those out along with a 32 oz Gatorade.

7. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,680
    My days of rock-hopping along a creek are over... Last trip resulted in a ACL replacement.... It's been nearly 60 years since I've been on that particular creek.. This a clipping out of the LA Times, of my brother's and my 1st adventures on the creek... Terry was my older Brother, and I'm that Ernest character... And we were not lost... Just misplaced.:emoji_rolling_eyes::emoji_wink:..
    5vhCuHm.jpg
    Butch

8. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing a piece of your history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +325
    I have been wanting to fish that lake for awhile now. Good stuff!

10. Throw_Luck_Fishing

Ratings:
    +26
    Name:
    B
    Thanks for the report/read! Fish look nice and healthy.... unlike that sad campground! Looks like they didn't try at all, no tree or bush privacy between sites etc...better than nothin I suppose

11. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing a piece of your history.
    I’d fish that again in a heartbeat. One of my favorite things was that the campground was like a mile from the lake. I woke up got in the car and was there in 5 minutes. Easy! And the campground was empty for the most part. I’m excited to go back since I only fished 2 coves the whole day and it has 26 miles of shoreline to fish plus 2 different places to launch vessels from.

12. BassRygg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +322
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    Love that lake. I haven't been in years. It also has some giant American Shad. You can see one at the 9:30 mark of this video from Matty Wong

13. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    Thanks for the info!

14. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +325
    Wow, they printed your address! Different times...

15. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Yep... Name , address and we were minors..
    Butch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    Boat:
    SR-18
    That lake is probably the most diverse fishery in SoCal. One of my favorites to electrofish when the wind isn’t howling.
    Interesting they still do quagga inspections since there are quagga in the lake. SMH

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    Yes, I had to have an inspection of my float tube waders and fins. Then you have to take the certificate and show that to be able to get a launch permit. This is the only lake where I’ve had to get a launch permit for my tube. They were not messing around. Interesting that the lake has a large sheriffs presence too.

18. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    No privacy between sites at ALL! But I guess that was ok for me since there weren’t any people either.

19. CorsoEnthusiast

CorsoEnthusiast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +200
    Name:
    Jeremy
    Just watched the YT vid last night :emoji_sunglasses:

really enjoyed watching that! My brother fishes for Smallies up in the Toronto area and is constantly telling me about how much fun they are to catch. Might have to take the Kayak up to Pyramid one of these days.

20. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    Thanks for watching and glad you enjoyed it! Head up there for sure. I don’t think there’s many other places to get those nearby except maybe the imperial valley.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List