Quaggas in DVL and Wohlford?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, May 23, 2011.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Two lakes that have strict policies in place to try to keep the quaggas out, have recently been rumored to have found them. George Kramer divulged as much in his latest blog "Sounds like a cover up: so then what?"

Obviously DVL has allowed boats, but under a strict policy that requires all boats entering the lake to be thoroughly inspected.

Wohlford has outlawed private boats altogether, as well as any items that might come in contact with the water like trolling motors, fish finders, etc. that would normally be allowed on their rental boats.

Quagga mussels have been confirmed (according to the California Dept. of Fish & Game and City of San Diego Water Authority) in 11 local reservoirs; Dixon, Lower Otay, San Vicente, Murray, Miramar, Sweetwater, El Capitan, Jennings, Olivenhain, Ramona, and Poway. They've also been confirmed in Skinner as well...so thats 12 if you consider it local.

2. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,560
    Thanks for sharing that. The draconian measures at Wohlford didn't buy as much time as I am sure they had hoped. I wouldn't look for much to change in the way either lake does business though. Just look at Poway. They have been on the list for over a year and are still apparently in denial.

3. SWW

SWW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Bingo!!!

Thank you George!...for that article. I have also pulled up a mussel from DVL. Seems the cracks in the truth on this are starting to show, and i could not be more excited! I relish the day to drive the 75 miles each way for a fun and relaxing day of fishing, without the worry of wasting my gas and time....

The time for this to come to light is now. There has got to be something we as boaters can do to facilitate a change....?

4. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    That is a great point, I hadn't noticed that.

George's article is good. Paying staff to do inspections that are pointless in nature would be foolish, but assuming they wouldn't do that would be naive on our part.

5. jettingjj

jettingjj Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so are thay realy going to pump from olivenhain to hodges then so why do inspections at hodges????

6. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,341
    I noticed a reference to waterfowl in the blog. I don't see how waterfowl wouldn't carry quaggas in from other places. A couple of summers ago, I saw some duck droppings at Cuyamaca that had little mussels in it. Any mussel that stays clammed up after being ingested by a duck will make it's way back out in less than a day, ready to go on with life. It's possible.

7. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,560
    Thanks for the smile. You would have to think that not only is it possible for wildlife to spread them, it is inevitable. It doesn't even have to be the mussel itself, it can be those tiny little spores that float around in the water. A cormorant that dives for trout at Dixon and flies the short hop over to Wohlford will still have wet feathers.