Queen of The Float Tube

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,517
    She's indoctrinated. Much like me when I was starting out, I'm sure she feels safer and a taste more confident having someone else along for the ride.

There's actually alot to it. Having a plan is the key. And the plan begins the day before the session that you've scheduled yourself into. Early-on I found it best (for myself) to clean everything as soon as I pulled into the garage. That way, it would be at the ready in case I got the itch the following morning. As I told my protege, develop yourself a routine and dont ever stray from it. Double check your gear and don't ever leave your stripping apron at home. Dont make up excuses as to why you dont have time to do it, just do it and get it over with. Cleaning your gear isnt all that time consuming and getting it ready for the next session beats trying to do it last minute.. and always rinsing and cleaning your stuff is a great way to make sure your investment stays intact and free of rust or ruin.

Pulled into the Mission Point parking lot at 545am. There she was, ready to go. I was kind of hoping that we would park next to each other and that she would follow my lead with getting ready to rock. No need. With overcast skies above and an air temperature of 70, we made our way down to the waters' edge for her first dip.

Water temp was 71 and the tide was nearing flush. One of the things we talked about last week was fins. Having the proper fins on your feet means everything.. and it means you not having aching sore muscles and cramping feet. Nothing like your toes curling from cramps inside a pair of fins that were meant for any other purpose other than float tubing.

No first time goes perfect. Everyone has dues to pay and she paid hers: a broken (well, not really broken in the sense of the word - more like temporarily unusable) fin. Her fins have buckles that just aren't meant to be tightened down to the point of real security. She popped a clip pin off and it ended up resting comfortably on the sand in about a foot of clear water. I reached in, grabbed it and went to work getting it back in usable condition. I'm guessing 6 ot 7 minutes later, I've got her pushing off the sand and kicking across the first ledge.

I'm getting fish pings one after another, and right of the bat I took a few Calicos. None very big, but Calicos nonetheless. Then the Spotties showed up. Picked up a handful of those too. Going northbound in the basin along the first row of boats, I continue to pick up the occasional fish.

(added) Dont remember what I was doing at the moment, but I remember feeling a hard stop in the line. I pulled back and off it went. I yelled over to her that this one was going to run.. and it did. It ran right through my running line and started into the backing. I cant have my entire line pop off by accident so I put on the brakes and started reeling back up, trusting the fact that my knots were good. And they were. But the line took off again, this time directly under one of the moored boats to the north. I thought it had wrapped around a pylon, but it hadnt. Thought I lost it once, but it hung on. Then it pulled again and it was gone. It was nice having a witness - dont want anyone rubbing their chin and popping question marks over their head.

Waiting forever for my student to connect, she finally does. I look over and I see her float tube being pulled in the wrong direction. I felt two things; excitement, and a problem. Ten minutes later, I'm dragging her, her float tube, and her Mud Marlin toward the sand (I told you there was a reason for that beach always being within reach !!). I hopped out and grabbed the pliers. I'm walking toward it and looking at that flicking tail. No way.. so I walk back to my boat and trade-in the pliers for a small divers knife. NO WAY was I getting close to that tail. We agree to cut the line and give it her plastic as a parting gift.

That was pretty much the session. I picked up a cute illegal Hali, then it just kinda turned off. Tide was low slack and just starting to turn.. but the fish knew it and wouldnt budge. So we bailed out of there after a three-hour session of pure fun. Ran into my dear friend Chris out there. He was sporting his new foot-powered yak. Big money. Gorgeous ride, but I like my float tubes too much to spend that kind of money.

So I'll take her out a few more times - or at least until shes ready and confident to fly solo. Too much fun. Good job, little girl ! Tons of fun watching you try to figure things out. And as we agreed, leave your rods at home next time.. I'll bring a fly rod for you. Time of your life. And no eating sandwiches while on the water ! Enjoy a few pics.

4a.jpg 1a.jpg 2a.jpg 5a.jpg 8a.JPG

#1 Creek, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,950
    So awesome you two.. keep it up!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,189
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Great read , good report . Nothing like showing someone that has a genuine interest . Tight lines ! WR

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,248
    Awesome! Well now you've convinced me to go out to MP tomorrow morning.

Open invite to anyone. I plan on starting at MP at o' dark thirty and fishing until low tide, then heading up the SDR for carp, and home by noon.

5. i'dratherbef___ing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,514
    Name:
    Armida
    Really learned a lot but had fun while doing it : ) That fly fishin though...my man is already shaking his head:emoji_face_palm:
    Now I want to learn that but I bet it cost a pretty penny. Creek you were killing it from the get go sir! Thanks again for a great session, can't wait for the next time:emoji_fingers_crossed:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +903
    Nice job. Those that have never tried the tube don't know what they are missing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,876
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hell yeah.. go get em! Great session

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,686
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Good deal! The tails on the Bats are not as bad as they may look. The barb is not on the end that is whipping around. Nice initiation!

9. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,594
    Great sesh!!

btw how’s the kitten doing?

10. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,223
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    And she has the correct float tube!

11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,517
    She's beautiful. Just finished her last series of shots.. getting "fixed" on Sept 1st. Went from 1.2lbs when she found Werf and me on May 15th to 3.6 lbs just several days ago when we took her for her last shots. Ridiculously loving, beyond playful, sleeps alongside me every night. She's safe, totally well cared for and fed nothing but the best tuna, chicken, turkey, salmon and bottled water.

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,517
    Well... you know I'm partial to Outcast. Her bo' bought her Cumberland. Its several inches longer than my Fishcat 4D. The FC4 sits higher off the water than the Cumberland does. Her tube is bigger than she is.. you should see her walk with it strapped to her back ! I should have taken a pic of it - didnt think about it. Next time.

What I need to get her into is a SOLID pair of fins (Force or Outcast Power Kick).. the ones she's using now she cant truly tighten as much as she really needs to. They have these plastic buckles that use plastic retainer pins to hold the buckles in place. One of those pins popped out when she was first getting in. We had to find it in the sand. Had we not found it, the session would never have happened. So she needs to get the right fin for the right job. Other than that, she's going to leave her own rods at home next time and I'm going to bring her one of my matching fly rods to use. It will be identical to what I'm using.. rod, reel, leader length, fluoro length, flies, etc. Once she gets one or two on a fly rod, it will be all over with. She'll throw that baitcaster gear in the corner of the garage forever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,686
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I've never seen a Cumberland ride that high on the water!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,654
    Nice storytelling.
    And yeah, bat rays can't hurt you unless you kick 'em in the spine. The tail makes a good handle....