Question about Swami's

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by wildwood, Jul 23, 2021.

1. wildwood

wildwood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Name:
    David E.
    A friendly surfer told me that fishing Swami's beach was pretty good right now. I'm new to the area and understand that there are some restrictions on using/gathering crabs in that area. Is the whole point area restricted? I don't like throwing artificial if live crabs are available. I've been fishing Del Mar, I like the parking, access, etc. Is Swami's a place I can fish crabs? Parking, etc?

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,202
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Swamis SMCA , Finfish only from shore or spearfishing for pelagic and white seabass is what the rules state ,the deal with sand crabs is you can NOT take or have in possession invertebrates , plants , alge , crustaceans Etc. within the SMCA . You can take into the SMCA store bought bait IE commercial packaged Clams , bloodworms , shucked mussels as long as you can show it is Not from the SMCA . Parking best to scout it out on google earth . North boundary foot of B street / Encinitas Blvd , South Boundary southern end of the south parking lot at Cardiff state beach . The DFW site is not intuitive as far as the angler goes but it what we have . Hope this muddled paragraph helps . Good Luck . WR

#2 William Ritchie, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. wildwood

Ratings:
    +120
    Name:
    David E.
    I appreciate the response but it's not clear. Maybe a simpler question "Is the point within the restricted area?

4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,202
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    If the point you are speaking of lies between Encinitas blvd / B street and the southern edge of the south parking area of Cardiff state beach on the map , then yes it is within Swamis SMCA . WR

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,655
    Thanks, Bill. I've been frequenting Stone Steps with the family to avoid the crowds. Good to know I can throw a sandcrab there.

6. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,811
    What blasphemy is this...? Neuroshima throwing a sand crab and not a fly? :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7. jjdbike

jjdbike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +147
    I spent this past Thursday & Friday morning fishing Swami’s hard.
    Conditions were not great. Poor visibility, good amount of weed. Thursday I connected w/ a calico & a sand bass. Friday I skunked hard.
    Saw 2 other fishers, one small ray between them.
    Both days, I’d imagine every day there, was a real challenge to try to fish between the 100’s of suffers. That’s not an exaggeration in any way. I won’t try to fish there again anytime soon.
    Also, be prepared to deal w/ a great deal of steps.
    Best regards
    JD

8. wildwood

Ratings:
    +120
    Name:
    David E.
    This really helps me decide if an area is a good fishing experience. The surfer who told me this was well intentioned but input from an angler is the right point of view. I don't want to battle surfers or swimmers.

9. jjdbike

Ratings:
    +147
    Also,
    If you get there when it’s not dark, expect to wait for a parking spot to open up. There is pretty limited parking.
    JD

10. jjdbike

Ratings:
    +147
    Cool,
    I find surfers to be a friendly bunch. Overall I find you SolCal folks to be very nice, friendly and helpful. It’s a very refreshing change from surf fishers, residents and tourists in NJ where I do most of my surf fishing.
    That, on top of your beautiful coast line, I understand why so many love it here.
    Best regards!
    JD

11. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,655
    Well now that I've caught one on the fly, I can switch to bait. Weird, I know. And I'll take any odds increase of hooking up in front of the kids.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. all day long...

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +366
    Put in your time in the area if you think it can produce. Every day is different and it will surprise you, and that goes for anywhere and specially in the surf.