Rainy El Cappy 5-20-19

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by TheBassinPanda, May 20, 2019.

1. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Boat:
    I wish
    I was itching to get back on the water and convinced my cousin to come with me today(same cousin who got me into bass fishing when I was a kid). I checked the forecast and it said just slight morning showers in the AM so I figured what the heck, I need to scratch that bass fishing itch badly since I wasn't able to fish last Monday.

El Cap finally has a worker to rent boats out during the weekdays so we got there early, around 5:30 but we couldn't launch until 5:45 or so. Noticed we were the only ones there except for an older ranger launching. There was lots of clouds but the weather seemed ok. We loaded the rental and head straight up to the north end as I heard the bite was decent up there. We were hoping to get some top water action so we started throwing frogs and poppers. Couldn't get a swirl but then the drizzle started, ever so lightly.
    WHMjOe.jpg
    This would be on and off throughout the morning till around 11 or 12 with sometimes just a good pour for a 15minutes, even though the weather report said the slight drizzle would lift at around 9am or 10, WRONG. We wore our rain gear but our feet were soaked and the bottom of the rental filled up a good 1" of rain water.

We stuck it out and flipped the trees with different types of baits but I went back to my confidence bait, the jig and flipped it at the base of some trees that I just KNEW had a bass. I love that feel when you call out your shot and nail a bass immediately. He ate it just as it hit the base of the tree.
    WHMiTa.jpg

WHME5P.jpg

We pushed further north and my cousin felt a tap tap tap and set the hook on a bass but the fish got tied up on a log and shook free instantly. Saddened by the loss but brimming with excitement, my cousin and I continued to flip some more trees. I proceeded to call out another spot and told my cousin to flip his jig at the base of a particular submerged tree and bam, he got a nibble. He winded down slowly and felt a bigger tug and then set the hook home and pulled out this guy, his first bass of 2019:
    WHMZZx.jpg

We kept working our way down south, flipping trees and missing a bite here and there. Tried other reaction bites such as cranks, flukes, vibrating jigs and more frogs but could only get bit on the jigs. Eventually we pulled into one of my old spots that has produced for me and I was able to get a nibble but missed him on the hookset. My cousin pitched his jig back where I missed and sure enough, felt a tap tap, wound down and brought in his 2nd bass off the jig:
    WHMJco.jpg

We continued working our jigs in trees and other stick ups and even tried throwing a texas rigged worm but couldn't get anymore bites. We called it at 3:30 as we'd been out for awhile and we were pretty tired and wet. Tough day of fishing but seeing my cousin get some bass on jigs was very much worth it.

• Like Like x 18
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +701
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    It might have been a rainy crappy day but you guys had a fantastic day of catching great fish. NICE!!

3. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    I'd trade you your day for my dinky dixon day anyday

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,620
    Boat:
    Tube
    Love the way it feels when they eat a jig! Way to stick it out and connect with the fish!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,945
    Boat:
    Yes
    I was wondering where you have been TheBassinPanda . Congrats on getting your cousin hooked up and the nice one you caught, too. Thanks for the, as usual, detailed report and pics. Hope to see you out there soon.

6. dilatedppls

dilatedppls Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Trees can produce quality fish! Nice work for sticking it out!

7. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Boat:
    I wish
    Been fishing here and there but not much really to report for the past few months. Also got swamped at work for a bit for a whole month n a half. Good luck out there sir, its our favorite time of the year, FROGGIN SEASON!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Kahuna bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +569
    Boat:
    Warrior 208XRS bass
    BassinPanda - awesome report as always.

Love the details and excitement!! I wish I was home, currently sitting here on the island of Diego Garcia(Indian Ocean) for the next couple weeks. I hope to have a saltwater report in the next few days.

We got to go fish'n Panda when I get back!!!

Mel - Kahuna bass
    Living vicariously through BassinPanda's fishing reports!

9. Jigginjaws

Jigginjaws Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Good job and nice report...your cousins facial expressions are worth a 1000 words and instantly put a smile on my face as I sit here at work typing on my stupid keyboard and my stupid computer...:)

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,296
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You got one of those too? Mine has operator problems, I expect!

11. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Boat:
    I wish
    Hurry back and let's gooooo!!

Thank you for the kind words! Glad to I could brighten up your day! It means a lot to me too because my cousin got me addicted to bass fishing as a kid. He stopped bass fishing awhile ago but I convinced him to come out with me.

12. Doubledigit333

Doubledigit333 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Boat:
    Ranger 177TR
    How far up is the lake?
    Are the fingers all covered?
    Is the Island under coming out of dam arm on left?

13. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Boat:
    I wish
    I believe the lake is up at least 10 ft(I think?) from last year and according to the San Diego gov website, the lake is 40.4% full. I don't exactly recall if all the fingers are covered. We stuck entirely in the north end and then left. I don't recall seeing the island coming out of the dam arm. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.