Ramona 9/10

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by fishfanatic, Sep 10, 2019.

1. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,080
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Hiked in before the gates opened with a buddy of mine. Surprised not to see a single animal that early other than a couple of bunnies. Made it up in good timing, around 6:30. I started on top with a gunfish, gave my first timer buddy a floating rapala minnow. We both hooked up same time 5 minutes in. Both dink dinks but it was a double up.
    20190910_164948.jpg
    Threw that around for another...hour? No more takers so I set my partner up with a ds and I begin tossing a chatterbait. Got nothing the first 20 minutes or so. Hit up a spot that looked promising. Fire the chatter out and let it sink. I feel a tap tap on slack line, try to set the hook and come up empty. I cast around in that area another 5 minutes until on one cast, I feel a distinctive thump. I swing and connect! It feels good but quickly gets its weight mixed in with a nice clump of grass. As I bring her to my feet she does that dreadful last shake that dislodges the lure. Annnnnd she's off, 2 feet in front of me. I dive for her with one shoe in the water. She squirms away into a hole in the rocks. Only her last third is sticking out. I try repeatedly to get a grasp on the slimyness to save my catch. I probably rubbed off her slime coat before she somehow floated up a little and I was able to slide my hand down over her back and grab hold of her that way. Here's the one that almost got away...
    20190910_075909.jpg After her came a little one on an ika in the same spot. Nothing happens for a while after that and we move spots. At the new spot, since the marine layer was holding pretty well, I ambitiously give the gunfish a couple more casts. Nada. Back to chatterbait, few casts and I'm not getting bit. Change to different color and work that for a few minutes before a fish attempts to steal my rod. I was surprised when an average size ramona fish comes up. Thought it was a ramona pig. Put up a decent fight.
    20190910_095012.jpg 20190910_094953.jpg No more pictures but my buddy lands 3 on the ds thereafter, while I land one on the same. We both hiked down rejuvenated and content come 11.
    To recap, 2 guys, 9 fish, 4.5 hrs, fun fun fun.

2. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +502
    Nice. I was just thinking about that place and how it's been a loooooooong time since I've visited. Good to hear it's still producing.

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,904
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Sounds about right! BTW fishing off of the dam is not allowed! :emoji_grinning::emoji_innocent::emoji_laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,053
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    You said it!!! FUN, FUN,FUN!! Good job reeling in the fish

5. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,080
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Oh that's right! :emoji_face_palm: Sorry, it's so hard to remember nonsense! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Funny tho, it would seem the dam is the only place that gets fished from the amount of soft plastic discards I find there. Well that isn't true actually, I find brand new plastics and even some terminal tackle from time to time that some hammered dirtbag leaves behind. Hope I find a whole bag of soft plastics one day lol.

#5 fishfanatic, Sep 11, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:24 PM
  6. rookieyaker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +154
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Great Job guys! looks like fun times. How was the water level/shoreline access? Did the water go down at all? i was there about 6 months ago and wasn't able to hike around the shoreline.

7. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,080
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Water is down 7 feet from May. Shoreline access is pretty good.