Rancho Tecate Small Lake On The US/Mexico Tecate Border

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by John345, Oct 17, 2019.

1. John345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +484
    Name:
    John V
    Hey Guys, yesterday I decided to do something a little bit different. I went to a private development called Rancho Tecate which is about 5 miles south of the Tecate US/Mexico border. I fished the whole day with top water because of the weeds in the small lake. Those weeds come and go with the season. Here is a video of some drone footage of the place and some of the top water blow ups on the frogs. I have fished here a bunch of times and there are no giants due to it being over populated. I have caught only 2 5 pound bass there ever. Mostly are dinks and clones. My buddy also caught a nice catfish at the end which broke off while he was trying to lift it over a rock ledge. Here is the video: Rancho Tecate Top Water Frog Fishing For Bass

2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    What a cool looking fishery. Clear water makes the longer casts the ticket for sure. Can you float tube it?

3. rescue ranger 905+

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +356
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Tracker 165
    Nice video Man. Love to see other people besides me put up there own YouTube clips. Looks like a neat little spot. Nice editing and drone shots also.

4. John345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +484
    Name:
    John V
    When I originally purchased property there, they said kayaks and row boats were allowed. Nothing electric. So not sure about the float tube. They are super strict on the catch and release. Honestly it is over populated and the fish do not grow anymore. There are blue gills, but only giants that the bass cannot eat. All babies bass and bluegills are the only food which does not last long. They really need a feeder, add more bait fish or cull the lake. I have fished there dozens of times and only seen or caught two 5 pounders. That place could be so much better if properly managed. The bass are the same bass from Carrizo and that lake has put out a lot of double digit bass. The water that flows into Carrizo starts in Rancho Tecate where the water tubes open up and make a white water river that runs 7 kms into Carrizo. Those are the tubes that bring the water from the Colorado River from Mexicali through El Hongo and into Tecate.

5. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,278
    Boat:
    Yes
    Dinks or not, that looks like a fun lake. Nice video too. Thanks for sharing
    John345

6. RenzoFerrari

RenzoFerrari Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Very nice! I have had a bird swoop down on my spook before, seems to be one of the hazards of topwater fishing. I took it as a sign that I had the action looking right!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List