RAV4

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Larry M, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,967
    Name:
    Larry M
    Does anyone here have a newer RAV4?
    I'm looking at used ones, 4 cylinder gas model. Our 12 year old Prius is starting to nickel and dime me. We don't drive that much locally anymore so most of our trips are for vacations so I don't think that we need a hybrid car anymore since the RAV4 is saying that it gets around 30 MPG or better.
    With California thinking of putting a surcharge on hybrids for road maintenance it might not be worth it for our driving situation. We had to install a new hybrid battery, around $3000 not so long ago. We love the Prius but our driving needs has changed.
    Thanks.

#1 Larry M, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Try cargurus.com (not associated in any way) then put whatever you like and search. I prefer to search one-owner fleet vehicles (rental, corporate etc.) They were properly maintained with all recalls done in time, so a bit higher mileage and more years only drop the market price without real lost of value if you are looking for a long-time solution and don't mind so much the depreciation and resale vlaue. You may find great deals there including private. As for the RAV4 you may check also alternatives, best independent reports at Home - EPautos - Libertarian Car Talk I don't know the recent RAV4 models but the 2000 model we had 16 years ago was awful. It was so noisy and lacking power that you could beat it even with your old Prius. I hear though that the newer model are better, but just because it's a Toyota expect to be overpriced.

#2 plako, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,967
    Name:
    Larry M
    Thanks, we looked at a lot of different makes in the small SUV range. Subaru would of been my second choice. We didn't like the Honda, to uncomfortable.
    I like Toyota vehicles, our 2000 Tundra with the towing package is still going strong.
    We just bought the 2017 LE model with 26,000 miles this morning very comfortable and drove really nice. Took it on a short drive to Best Buy in San Marcos and it was showing 29 MPG.
    We had satellite radio in the Prius and I asked the Toyota dealer how much to install it in the RAV4, $4000.
    I bought a satellite radio at Best Buy with the car kit for about $175 instaled. We had a lifetime on the one in the Prius and customer service said that we can transfer the lifetime service to the new radio. It makes it nice to have a radio on our Montana trips because you can't receive any good stations along the way at times.
    We keep vehicles for a very long time, at my age this will probably be the last vehicle that I'll buy.

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Hard to go wrong with a Toyota.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    RAVs are great cars. My brother sold Toyotas for years and he and the wife drove RAVs. My mother had one for years, sold it to my nephew who is still driving it.

6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,967
    Name:
    Larry M
    Drove my wife to Scripps La Jolla this morning.
    33 mpg at 75 mph plus, keeping up with traffic. Not to shabby. I set it on ECO mode, when taking my foot off of the gas it coasts pretty good. So far very happy.

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Toyotas, like any car, can be abused! My son just purchased a 2007 Camry off of a typical corner used car lot. 88,000 miles, $8500. 123 miles later it was making a loud clacking noise. Sounded like a loud lifter (do Toyotas have them?) He notified the dealer and the dealer said take it to ________ shop to have it fixed. (dealer's nephew) The dealer did not offer an exchange or refund. The nephew said it needs a new engine. (used, with 127,000 miles) $1600 which he offered to split with my son! He said there was nothing wrong with the car when it left his lot!

Total rip-off! Avoid dealers of easily recognizable ancestry!!!

8. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,967
    Name:
    Larry M
    We bought ours at Toyota of Escondido. Came with a warranty.

9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Yep, reputable dealer! Cost more but usually worth it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    When I was in the market for a used car I went to a number of those corner lots.
    There was one in El Cajon I found via some online car finding site... It was called X. Went to google maps to find the location - it was called Y... then went to street view and saw the name was Z. Still drove there just to see the vehicle of interest and the name was yet something different!!! They gave me a car-fax for the vehicle, and at least that matched one of the X or Y or Z names.
    Eventually I did buy from a used car lot in Coronado. There was a leak, which I knew, talked him down a bit - then had the leak fixed. Then had one of the coolant hose clamps give way - lost all the coolant - had the fixed. Now I'm dealing with squeaky doors. It is the gasket around the doors - I can spray lubricant on them and is good for a few days. But it starts up again and drives me nuts. Larry M - sounds like you got a good one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,367
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Try wiping the seals and jambs down with Talc Rather than silicone etc . For most cars from Europe thats the standard regiment , should be redone regularly at the service intervals . Just may fix it . Should also put multi purpose grease on the door checks the metal gets loud as well . Cheers ADD you should try to clean any residual lubes off the seals and jambs before the talc .Rubbing alcohol should do the trick .

#11 William Ritchie, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Me too! OCD kicking in!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,254
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9

My 2013 Tacoma , the mirrors whistle when driving on the freeway around 65. Drives the wife nuts listening to it =^..^=

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,283
    Just got the new rav4 a few months ago. Wednesday was the first day I took it out. I went to cuyamaca and really liked it. I couldn't get used to it for a while just driving locally but that longer drive on those mountain roads it grew on me. Great gas mileage, way better then the 4 Runner.

15. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,967
    Name:
    Larry M

All of those bells and whistles and alarms are going to take awhile to get used to. LOL.
    Owners manual is crazy. I'm trying to adjust the sound equalizer on the speakers but I can't get to the the right menu after following the manual.
    We bought the LE model which I guess is the entry level. I didn't want the sun roof. Neighbor said LE stands "low end." LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,367
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Second and third series Tacoma's are a ***** for wind noise , my 2017 Access cab sounds like a set of bagpipes when in a cross wind . When it blows hard it will even do it stationary . Your 2013 has lots of info on Tacoma World site about 3 different possibilities and none are actually the mirrors . Different door to fender and door handle to inside the door that echo in the mirror area seem to be the cause . There are even some holes in the lower control arms of the front steering that created a whistle in mine until I lifted it and changed the angle of those holes . Think they did any wind tunnel work ? As i understand it there are several TSB tech service bulletins that show what the factory suggests to their Technicians on the 2nd series trucks like yours . Still trying to at least get mine to play a tune instead of sounding like a beginner on the pipes . Good luck !

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  17. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,254
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9

18. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings: