Really confused - line weight

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Spaagnu, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Spaagnu

Spaagnu Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Name:
    PJ
    I’m sorry to be that new person who is drowning and probably asking the same question asked a million times. I’ve tried to do the research and it’s still confusing.

I have a 7ft rod with a 3000 reel. I wanted an 8ft but I was told 7ft would be nice when I go to the lagoon vs surf fishing. Whatever. I suspect this won’t be the only rod I own soon.

I’m really confused on the line. I’ve read for my reel a 8lb line will do ... but don’t you use something different for the rig? I’ve seen some people posting about their 18lb braided line and I’m just scratching my head it sounds backwards to what I *think* I've been understanding.

My parents never taught me this stuff. Sorry you guys are having to hold my hand

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  2. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +766
    Name:
    Perry
    I'll give it a go...
    You have basically two pieces of line in most situations. The "Main line" and the "leader". Of course, this is very basic, but for the quick and simplest explanation. The Main line is what it spooled onto your reel. Depending on the reel size, capacity, type of fishing and, to some degree the rod you are using, this can be almost anything.

Some rods have a rating on them: i.e. 8lbs to 15lbs test. It's been my experience that is a suggestion. Based on how the rod "handles" that range. Most people agree that by going over the recommended rating, you risk breaking your rod...rod breaks before line breaks. But, unless you'er very careless, it seems like this could be easily avoided.

So, that brings us to the reel. Simply put, one would think the heaver pound test line is, the less can be put on a reel. In most cases this is true, since the heaver the line is, the thicker the diameter. The exception is braids. They take advantage of high strength fibers, so they produce heavier pound test with much smaller diameter line.

On a 3000 reel for example, you might be able to spool 150 yds of 15lbs test monofilament line. The same pound test of braid, you could put near 300 yds, since the braid is much small in diameter for the same pound test.

There are different applications for braid and mono, and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. The one over all major factor of braid besides its much smaller diameter to strength is that it has near zero stretch. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Leader is what is attached to your main line and is the business end of your fishing. Often referred to a "Rig" it can be mono, fluorocarbon, braid or hybrid. This is what your hooks, plugs, spinners or other lures are attached to.

There are times when your leader pound test is higher than your main, but this is rare. In most cases, your leader is lower in test strength than your main, depending on the type and style of fishing.

The biggest mistake I see a lot of guys who are just starting out make in line is using too heavy a main and/or leader. Too heavy of line makes fishing harder and it's really not necessary in most cases. Lighter line and learning to "play" the fish make for a much more enjoyable sport. When in doubt, go lighter. That's my 2 cents worth.

This is probably way more information than what you were asking, but I hope it touches on your question.
    Never hesitate to ask. Most everyone is more than happy to share what we've learned and are always learning still from other.

#2 Baywolf, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  3. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +454
    Name:
    Gabe
    Baywolf with some solid advice.

Spaagnu I’d say give each a go. Start off with Mono, the cheapest then work up to braid. Braid is more expensive, so keep that in mind.

Braids sensitivity blows the others out of the waster, no pun intended, in my opinion and experience. I use braid for the most part, but do have a dedicated setup with mono.

Spool up some 10# mono, give it a few outings, try fluro, which I’m personally not a fan of as a mainline (too stiff), then put some braid on. Like stated above, some people prefer mono, some braid. All personal preference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,447
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Braid completely changed my mind about spinning reels. LINE TWIST is the bane of the spinning reel! Braid will twist but it is almost not noticeable. Understand that braid is much thinner. 20 lb braid probably comparable to 6 or 8 lb mono in diameter. The diameter will be marked on the box. You don't have to use all braid on your reel. The last half of your line never leaves your reel. Fill it half way with cheap mono then finish with 8 strand, 20 lb J-Braid! (my current braid of choice)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,741
    My 2 cents:

My advice would be to just stick with mono. I've tried 6-7 different kinds of braid and the only thing I really like about braid is the sensitivity. The flip side of that is the lack stretch puts all of the shock stresses on your leader. Mono lets the whole line stretch to distribute the force over a longer line area. IMO easier for a big corbina or spot fin to break you off if you are using a light leader with braid vs mono.
    Also, braid is so thin and light (even the 30# stuff) that the breezes we frequently encounter on the surf will take that line absolutely sideways when you cast, more so when you lob a high arc. Braid is also kind of "grabby" or "sticky". It loves to grab on to stuff: grass, kelp, itself. I always tend to end up with more crap on my line and wound up in little knots in my line with braid. Oh, and more wind knots and they are much more difficult if not impossible to get out with braid than mono.
    All that being said: the only braid I've found I can really tolerate is PowerPro Super Slick 8. I just got 10# spooled up a couple weeks ago and it doesn't seem as bad as the other braids. I'm not sure I'm casting significantly farther with 3/8 oz, but I like the sensitivity.
    To get to your original question: I'm mostly targeting smaller species in the surf using 8# mono and 6# flouro leader. If I'm going for bigger stuff in the lagoons I will use 20# mono main to 20# flouro leader. Your target species and expected size should determine your line weight. Scale up for rocks or weeds. Scale down for line shy species.

Cheers!

#5 Bassnbeans, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,991
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    As a new fisherman, FORGET ABOUT BRAID. It will lead to tangles, pulled hooks, snags etc etc etc, particularly fishing around rocks and grass... So you say a 3000 size reel.. whose 3000? Kastking 3000 size is very different from a Shimano 3000... in my mind, 2000 tend to be around a ten lb test reel, 3000 a twelve lb reel, etc. There are exceptions. Seven foot rod is a good medium size, I like 8-10' when I am on cliffs or the jetty, 6-7' at the lakes and in the bays..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,136
    Exactly fill half the spool with cheap mono then fill the rest with the braid of your choice. Then use 2'-4' leader of flourocarbon. Good luck.

8. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,212
    Name:
    Eric
    Lots of good advice and mixed opinions. For a rookie I would go mono, its easier to tie, more forgiving, cheaper to lose. 10lb is a good all around line for surf or bay. I would just go 10# straight mono and make further decisions later

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Fisher not a catcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +142
    I started with mono, then tried flouro as people said it was invisible. I discovered that the line memory was terrible and caused all sorts of bird nest issues. Once I tried Braid, OMG the supple softness of the line. The thin diameter and strength. The sensitivity. The only thing you give up is line visibility, but then you just use a leader. Sure there is no stretch, but that gives the sensitivity. Just use a good quality leader with good knots, loosen the drag and you wont have an issue. Also, careful around rocks as they can abrade the line and cut you off. BTW, I still use flouro for leaders.

10. Msharkball

Msharkball Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Try some p-line floroclear in 10#-12#. Fluoro-coated mono with the least coil-memory I've found in a mono, with the abrasion-resistance of fluoro and smaller diameter than mono too

11. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,024
    Full mono will get the job done.

If you want sensitivity for detecting tiny bites, bottom bumps, line capacity, etc then braid with your choice of leader.

I’m just a beginner fisherman so more sensitivity gives me more confidence in deciphering what’s going on.

Others on here may have been fishing for longer than I’ve been alive and had become one with their choice of gear and fishing grounds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. brick.daniels

brick.daniels Active Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Name:
    B Daniels
    and heavier is not the answer. i had a brilliant idea that i needed 25 to 50lb line but no, not at all. It messes with the cast and smoothness of the reel because its thicker and the rotational force needed is significantly higher. Go lighter than you think you should. i havent caught anything over 4 lbs.

13. Yralwaysfishn

Yralwaysfishn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Name:
    Joshua Ivy
    I personally use a7’ medium light pen squadron inshore rod cheat an durable and and cheap throw away shimao 1000 or Okuma spoil it with 2# diameter braid about 6-8# test strength then either Carolina rig 1 oz weight or less to a 4 # -10# mono leader. Or tie the braid and the leader directly together and try tossing sand crabs with no weight!!!!

14. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,426
    You aren't a beginner lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,024
    Ok ok, a rookie then. Old Rookie, I mean middle aged rookie.