Recommended Wader Material for Float Tubing

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by ThatOneGuy, Apr 17, 2020.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Name:
    Brandon
    Alright I am back with another question regarding float tubing...

Do you guys have a recommended wader material you prefer when float tubing?

I have a nice pair of breathable Patagonia chest waders I use when fly fishing streams and rivers but wasnt sure if anyone had an opinion about using breathable materials vs neoprene waders when in a float tube?

I feel like neoprene might be more durable to use but if anyone wants to give their opinion I'm all ears.

I found at least one thread with a similar question but back in 2008, so figured Id ask in case something has changed in 12 years as far as quality of materials etc.

Thanks!

2. Fishnagent

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +555
    Boat:
    fish cat
    In the winter the neoprene waders would probably be fine due to water and air temps being lower. But I would not recommend them in the summer months. Just use the breathable waders year round and put on some sweats or long underwear for the colder months. The breathable are much more comfortable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,289
    I have never overheated in my neoprene waders in the water. You can roast in them if you have to walk on the shore line in the summertime for more than a few minutes though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Name:
    Brandon
    Do you notice a difference in length of lifespan using breathable vs neoprene? Not sure that a float tube is any harder than using them in streams and rivers but definitely curious if anyone including yourself has experience with the two

5. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +607
    I just retired a 12 years old pair of breathable Simms waders. They finally wore out in the seat from all those years of float tubing. I bought a brand new pair. They are lighter, don’t soak up water, I allow plenty of room for fleece pants and socks under my stocking foot style waders.. Then I pull on a pair of flats wading boots. The whole setup is lightweight, there is plenty of air in the waders . I don’t get cold in the Sierras, and when it does get hot I just splash some water around and dip my hat in the lake/harbor. Easy to get off when you are done and dry quickly after wash down.

6. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,284
    I go through a pair of breathable waders about once every two years. The neoprene just requires more effort(kicking)and wears me out faster but they are a little more durable. So just use your Patagonia and see how long it will last you. Your results will vary. I also Fish 8-14 hours on average.

7. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,796
    Breathable. I suppose if you were going to fish Cuyamaca in the winter neoprene would be good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Name:
    Brandon
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I will just continue to roll with the breathable waders I have for now and see how long they last (once my fishing season resumes of course)

9. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,688
    stay away from neoprene..i have some...and i hate em..got em cause they were cheap...but after my sessions im soaking...and its not because of water but sweat...theyre ok for the winter but breathables with sweats on would be fine...if we were in wisconsin or something neoprene might be the way to go...but having had both...stay away from neoprene

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,796
    FYI, waders are easy to patch, will at least triple the life. Have used shoe goo, Aquaseal, Plasti-Dip, construction glue, silicone and others. All work. At some point, leaks become frequent enough that it is time for a new pair. Aquaseal probably best but I use what I have on hand. Plasti-Dip really nice for neoprene booties.

11. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,053
    I've got over a year on my neoprene frog togs($65) and they still barely leak. I repair them with e6000 when I get a hole.

Wader season is almost over

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,029
    I have a pair of 3 mm neoprene Cabelas stocking foots that I have had for years. After use I rinse them off and turn inside out to let dry before putting them up. If I get a leak then a dab of Shoe Goop works fine. I like the multiple sizing they offer from long and skinny to short and stout. I also like the slimmer fit. A little warm in the summer but I wear a pair of thin cotton workout pants to soak up the sweat. In the winter you appreciate being able to keep warmer with neoprene and with a pair of polar fleece pants your good to go. A pair of Converse cleated canvas boots are best l if you have to hike in some distance and climb down muddy/rocky banks to get to the water. If not neoprene dive booties (2 sizes larger and I have Glacier Glove ones) are good. I also have stated before adjustable Force Fins while expensive are the only way to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Borderbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +524
    Breathable. You can always use long johns under in the winter. I forked up the $ to get a pair of Simms G3’s and just replaced them after ten years of use. If you got the cash go with those. If not, I’ve heard good things bout the Aquaz.

14. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Name:
    MattL
    I don't know if this will translate to float tubing, but in my experience, very cheap breathable waders tend to be less susceptible to getting holes in them from wear and tear (though they're more susceptible to puncture by rocks, branches, etc). More expensive waders like Simms are made of stiffer material, and they have seams that run down the insides of the legs. The material tends to bunch up around the knees and chafe when walking.

Spent some summers guiding, wore Simms waders, and they'd never last even through one season. I got some bottom shelf Cabelas waders with no seams in the legs and they never sprang a leak. They were actually children's waders.

15. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,530
    I don't wear either, butt naked is my preference.
    Now that i thnk about it that might be the reason no body fishes with me lol
    Breathable for sure.