Reel life

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by old_rookie, Mar 26, 2022.

1. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,502
    CEAC8208-8546-4D7C-AC0A-42F3C23BA876.jpeg How long does a reel last for saltwater fishing? Yeah it depends on how often I use it.
    I’ve had this reel at least 10 yrs. don’t go out every weekend and now it’s been less than every other month with this reel. I rinse it each time and I’ve taken it apart once or twice to clean it. But now I can’t get one screw out without destroying the screw. Doesn’t go into free spool anymore.
    I’m thinking it’s time to replace it.

I was not able to find another like it online. Haven’t made it to any local shops yet to see what they have.

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,059
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    Ambassadeur reels are a dime a dozen. There is no shortage of new and used options to be found. You could probably spend an hour scrolling through just used ones on Ebay.

If you prefer "Made in Sweden", and don't want to pay $150+, then I would look into buying an older used one. The newer budget Ambassadeur's, like the one Ritchie linked above, are Chinese made. That might not matter to you, but for some it does.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,348
    All my bay reels last a long time. Why? Because I rinse the rod and reel off, then remove the reel and actually dunk it into some warm water after every fishing session. Then I wipe the reel down with some Belray 6in1(motorcycle brand lubricant) Every third or fourth time out, the reel is actually taken apart, greased and oiled. Timely cleaning and lubing keeps parts from corroding, even on cheap gear, like this South Bend Oreno that I paid 18 dollars for and is one of my favorite bay reels. I bought it, thinking what the heck....I'll use it for a few months and then it'll be junk and I will throw it away and buy something else. But with regular maintenance, nothing ever wore out on it besides the drag washers, and those were easy and cheap enough to replace.
    IMG_0431.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,502
    Well I had already bought an Abu black max since I could find one. Wish I had posted this two weeks ago.

6. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,467
    Name:
    Mike
    If u want to fix that Ambassadeur up there's a wealth of info and some friendly, helpful guys over at Alantani.com

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,382
    Lol ! I just noticed your new avatar.. That’s the best. And ya, Alantani has gotten me out of more than a few jams in recent years. Super helpful..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,643
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Ming yang reels.. just saying..

9. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,502
  10. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    In the future you should always ad grease to the threads on the screws before screwing them back in. This will help prevent them from corroding to the frame.

11. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,467
    Name:
    Mike

You could probably get a used handle and the set screw by making a "want to buy" post in the classifieds at alantani.com. Like I said before that community is pretty helpful and with all the guys over there modding those Ambassadeur's it's highly likely somebody will have the take-off parts you need. You could check Ebay too but I'd go with alan's site first. If and when you fix that issue coat the threads with a little grease when installing.....especially if you're gonna use it in saltwater. Tight lines