Released

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Creek, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDuvan1

DDuvan1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +493
    Here yo go, Straight from the special council. This is his entire statement from today:

Two years ago, the Acting Attorney General asked me to serve as Special Counsel, and he created the Special Counsel's Office.

The appointment order directed the office to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. This included investigating any links or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the Trump campaign.

I have not spoken publicly during our investigation. I am speaking today because our investigation is complete. The Attorney General has made the report on our investigation largely public. And we are formally closing the Special Counsel's Office. As well, I am resigning from the Department of Justice and returning to private life.

I'll make a few remarks about the results of our work. But beyond these few remarks, it is important that the office's written work speak for itself.

Let me begin where the appointment order begins: and that is interference in the 2016 presidential election.

As alleged by the grand jury in an indictment, Russian intelligence officers who were part of the Russian military launched a concerted attack on our political system.

The indictment alleges that they used sophisticated cyber techniques to hack into computers and networks used by the Clinton campaign. They stole private information, and then released that information through fake online identities and through the organization WikiLeaks. The releases were designed and timed to interfere with our election and to damage a presidential candidate.

And at the same time, as the grand jury alleged in a separate indictment, a private Russian entity engaged in a social media operation where Russian citizens posed as Americans in order to interfere in the election.

These indictments contain allegations. And we are not commenting on the guilt or innocence of any specific defendant. Every defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court.

The indictments allege, and the other activities in our report describe, efforts to interfere in our political system. They needed to be investigated and understood. That is among the reasons why the Department of Justice established our office.

That is also a reason we investigated efforts to obstruct the investigation. The matters we investigated were of paramount importance. It was critical for us to obtain full and accurate information from every person we questioned. When a subject of an investigation obstructs that investigation or lies to investigators, it strikes at the core of the government's effort to find the truth and hold wrongdoers accountable.

Let me say a word about the report. The report has two parts addressing the two main issues we were asked to investigate.

The first volume of the report details numerous efforts emanating from Russia to influence the election. This volume includes a discussion of the Trump campaign's response to this activity, as well as our conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to charge a broader conspiracy.

And in the second volume, the report describes the results and analysis of our obstruction of justice investigation involving the President.

The order appointing me Special Counsel authorized us to investigate actions that could obstruct the investigation. We conducted that investigation and we kept the office of the Acting Attorney General apprised of the progress of our work.

As set forth in our report, after that investigation, if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

We did not, however, make a determination as to whether the President did commit a crime. The introduction to volume two of our report explains that decision.

It explains that under long-standing Department policy, a President cannot be charged with a federal crime while he is in office. That is unconstitutional. Even if the charge is kept under seal and hidden from public view—that too is prohibited.

The Special Counsel's Office is part of the Department of Justice and, by regulation, it was bound by that Department policy. Charging the President with a crime was therefore not an option we could consider.

The Department's written opinion explaining the policy against charging a President makes several important points that further informed our handling of the obstruction investigation. Those points are summarized in our report. And I will describe two of them:

First, the opinion explicitly permits the investigation of a sitting President because it is important to preserve evidence while memories are fresh and documents are available. Among other things, that evidence could be used if there were co-conspirators who could now be charged.

And second, the opinion says that the Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting President of wrongdoing.

And beyond Department policy, we were guided by principles of fairness. It would be unfair to potentially accuse somebody of a crime when there can be no court resolution of an actual charge.

So that was the Justice Department policy and those were the principles under which we operated. From them we concluded that we would not reach a determination -- one way or the other -- about whether the President committed a crime. That is the office's final position and we will not comment on any other conclusions or hypotheticals about the President.

We conducted an independent criminal investigation and reported the results to the Attorney General—as required by Department regulations.

The Attorney General then concluded that it was appropriate to provide our report to Congress and the American people.

At one point in time I requested that certain portions of the report be released. The Attorney General preferred to make the entire report public all at once. We appreciate that the Attorney General made the report largely public. I do not question the Attorney General's good faith in that decision.

I hope and expect this to be the only time that I will speak about this matter. I am making that decision myself—no one has told me whether I can or should testify or speak further about this matter.

There has been discussion about an appearance before Congress. Any testimony from this office would not go beyond our report. It contains our findings and analysis, and the reasons for the decisions we made. We chose those words carefully, and the work speaks for itself.

The report is my testimony. I would not provide information beyond that which is already public in any appearance before Congress.

In addition, access to our underlying work product is being decided in a process that does not involve our office.

So beyond what I have said here today and what is contained in our written work, I do not believe it is appropriate for me to speak further about the investigation or to comment on the actions of the Justice Department or Congress.

It is for that reason that I will not take questions here today.

Before I step away, I want to thank the attorneys, the FBI agents, the analysts, and the professional staff who helped us conduct this investigation in a fair and independent manner. These individuals, who spent nearly two years with the Special Counsel's Office, were of the highest integrity.

I will close by reiterating the central allegation of our indictments—that there were multiple, systematic efforts to interfere in our election.

That allegation deserves the attention of every American.

Thank you.

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,817
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    And if they did have evidence that the President did commit a crime, they surely would have said so! That would not necessarily include indicting a sitting President! Ken Starr Said the Clinton was guilty of 11 crimes.

The President, and anybody else in this country, is innocent until proven guilty! It seems Trump is guilty until exonerated by Mueller. That is not the way it is supposed to work! A lot of good lawyers are crying "foul!"

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,986
    Just because you are innocent until proven guilty, doesn't mean you can't be accused of a crime.

This is just a partisan pissing contests. The Trumpettes are in their corner and the Trump haters in theirs. Somewhere in the middle is the truth.

Are there any patriotic people in DC that give a flying toss that our enemies are going to try muck up our elections?

4. jus bigguns

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +679
    Boat:
    Nitro
    Smart Money has them voting Democrat and they love Bernie.

5. jus bigguns

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +679
    Boat:
    Nitro
    Came out today Trump is not exonerated

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,817
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Yup, and no innocent person needs to be!

If the FBI shows up at my door and says, "there has been a murder in Ramona and we need your DNA sample to exonerate you". I'm sayin' no! If that makes me look guilty, so be it! If they go on TV tonight and say "there was a murder in Ramona tonight and we cannot say that fisheromen did not do it". Would that make any sense at all?

7. DDuvan1

Ratings:
    +493
    So did you guys read the report?

8. hookemdano

hookemdano Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +197
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352

yep...5 times...again

full report.jpg

9. DDuvan1

Ratings:
    +493
  10. Fishin_Buddy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +463

8A533590-5662-4EE3-9E7C-4B1C15136822.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,424
    Yes, there are. Their names are Barr, Durham, Jordan, Graham and Nunes. And they're going to figure out how it all went down the first time so that it doesn't happen again. Let the chips fall where they may.

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,424
    I get the overall picture the Dems are looking at. The first problem is that they hate Trump for a myriad of reasons.. be it his wealth, or his ability to speak his mind without worry about any political correctness, or the fact that he's held up his end of the bargain his supporters made with him when they voted for him.

So ya, Dems have some hurdles to overcome. But it wont happen, that's obvious. There's so much Dem bitterness and hatred for Trump that no matter what he did, it would never satisfy the palates of the Left. Even if it did, none of them would ever acknowledge it.

I'm one of those that are ridiculously pleased with Trump for one reason.. his overwhelming changes to the national economy. And I see it for one HUGE reason.. my retirement numbers. He walked into office and my retirement accounts literally shaved off a few employed years that I would have had to otherwise cover. My financial position now is, I could have easily retired nine years ago - if I had picked up the numbers that Trump has given me. So from that angle, I understand why alot of Dems are bitter.. because so many of them have never started retirement plans of their own so there's no way they could ever benefit from the current economy.

But guess what.. I could care less. And I could care less about who cant handle the Mueller Report. Bottom line.. he will never be impeached, and he will sweep 2020 in large part to the charade the Dems have opted to participate in instead of working on solving the problems of this country. Two years of dikking around with the wet dream of collusion and nothing to show for it. Looking ridiculous is an understatement here. Wasting my tax money and the tax money of other Americans.

So where are we now? Now the real fun begins.. we get to investigate the origins of the dossier and those at the top (all Dems) that rode it downhill. Only question left is, what method will those folks opt for.. noose or bullet?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. jus bigguns

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +679
    Boat:
    Nitro
    They will get the DNA from your float tube. I know your guilty of something.

14. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,986
    That crew are protecting POTUS not the election process that Russia tried to muck with.

Although heard a snippet from Sen Bleaumenthal that he is working with Graham on protecting the process and Graham is fully onboard.

No reason both can't be done.

15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,424
    Time to start turning over rocks to locate Hillary and drag her fatazz into court so she can explain smashed cellphones and hard drives post-subpoena. The Obama Crew is going down the toilet. Come on, investigators !

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. hookemdano

hookemdano Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +197
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1