releasing fish?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by mikecheck, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mikecheck

mikecheck Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    probably a rookie question but i dont wanna hurt any fish i dont keep so just wondering the best way to remove a hook from a fish....i also heard somwhere that if the hook is deep in the stomach you cut the line as close to it as possible and in a few days it will corrode...is that tru?

2. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +236
    Yes, with steel hooks they will rust out and it's better to leave them than to try to remove them from a gut hooked fish. Fishing small plastics for bass, I usually fish barbless. Almost always, they are hooked in the mouth and not gut hooked. Bait is a different story.

mick

3. OWNING

OWNING Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Best thing to do is to set the hook before the fish swallows it, but it will still happen time to time. What you heard was correct, if the fish swallows it and there is absolutely no way to get it out just clip the line as close to the hook as possible and release the fish.

And in general when handling fish make sure your hands are wet, or just lip the fish by grabbing its lower lip(only if species doesnt have teeth of course). Fish have a slime layer that protects them from infections. If you handle a fish with dry hands or a towel it will remove the slime layer. Their slime layer is like our skin. Imagine if somebody ripped off your skin and tossed you into a hostile enviornment. Sure they swim away ok but its going to hurt the fish's chances for survial. Its literally a jungle down there, every fish for itself.

4. mikecheck

mikecheck Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    any fish i should look out for beside the obvious...dont wanna loose a finger....i caught a bass the other day and was tryna grab the thing but its fins were pretty spikey and it was hard as hell to get the hook out....

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,341
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Don't touch a scorpion fish, AKA Sculpin. I've heard that a stick from their dorsal fin is extremely painful. I usually grab the hook in the bend with pliers and shake them off. Again, this is easier with the barb smashed down. Also the gill plates of a bass can cut you.

6. AlwazeFishing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +33
    it is true that if a hook is swallowed you don't try to get it out but the hok doesnt rust out. half of it does. the barb/hook stays. but the curve/eye part of the hook stays in.