Releasing your fish.....{whining rant here}

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by RDozer, Jul 9, 2017.

1. RDozer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,431
    Antsy waiting to fish this evening, decided to take the motorcycle for a scoot through Mission Bay around some of the places I fish. Seen lots of people out fishing, always good to know how much pressure your little secret spots get when you are not there. But here is what I seen today, and almost everywhere else too all the time that annoys the #$%^ out of me.

Young bro had a nice spottie in the river channel, on a fly rod even! Sweet catch! But as I rode down the end of the jetty, turned around, rode slowly back there he is still holding it out of the water posing, taking photos, ect. That was between 2-3 minutes. That fish is dead. And if it survived the suffocation out of the water, the 6ft toss back into 6" of water with rocks underneath for sure finished it off.

I like catching them guys as much as everyone else, and don't care if anybody harvests some to eat. But I appreciate the C&R guys. Its keeping the fishery healthy and alive. Bass are a little tougher than the average fish, but more than 30 seconds out of the water is enough to damage fish, more than a minute usually will kill it. And the Hail Mary tossing of the fish is just plain harmful and disrespectful. I know u will see that fish swim off, but they usually don't survive. Just hoping this might fall on some ears as informative instead of whining.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 7
    • List
  2. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,651
    While I share the passion and have even called a recent video poster out for the absurd on film 4.5+ minutes spottie out of the water, can you share with me how you know the referenced fish that swims away is "usually going to die?" I love statistics and actual facts, not randomness. Not being sarcastic, I truly think we are on the same page. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  3. Cyborgstarfish

Cyborgstarfish Catcherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    A frightening thing that I remember while snorkeling Mission Bay a couple years ago happened.
    I was swimming along the rocks and in the aftermath of an artificial spotty fisherman. And I kept seeing these dead spotties. They were big ones too all being around 12-16in and the were all stiff and it looked like nothing was wrong with them. Thier must have been at least 6 of them. I don't know if he is one of those guys who grab it with a rag or took too long to take pictures. I only saw the fisherman when I first went into the water but I'm sure it was him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,765
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    *sheds a tear for all the bass/corvs accidentally killed by the CnR crowd*

5. SageBug

SageBug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +266
    Name:
    Jason
    I'm a newb in the salt scene. Are they really this delicate? Freshwater species are pretty tough, would have thought salt fish was even tougher.
    Thanks!

6. fishinmike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,219
    Boat:
    Pro angler
    I feel your resentment RDozer. I use to hate throwing back short rockfish because you knew it was marine fodder at that point, But it lead to better tools to release those fish! Had a conversation with Bubbacee not to long ago, now he owns a fish gripper. Opinions shared with others is just another form of education. Rant ON!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. RDozer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,431
    Dont have anything from Huffington Post, but I think Cyborgstarfish' quote can attest to what I seen in my days working with creel survey and WI DNR. And 25 years of fishing, that when a fish ISNT handled good, it will "swim away" but u will see the ****er floating by 5 minutes later. Kinda like when u throw them in a cooler to eat, just cuz it flops 5 minutes later doesn't mean its going to survive. Just trying to talk some sense into these guys more worried about posting pics than the senseless waste of the fish if u aint eating them.

8. RDozer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,431
    Spotties like any bass are pretty tough, but anything without oxygen will die after awhile. I know Bonito die real quick, just like freshwater trout will even after careful handling. And to be honest im not the best saltwater fisherman yet so haven't handled that many species yet, LOL. Mayb someone else can jump on this one

9. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,765
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  10. RDozer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,431
    Good read. I was one of the fellas helping get rid of the lake trout in Yellowstone Lake they mention in there :]

canada3.png

11. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,366
    Pretty sweet gig if you ask me!

12. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,765
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Seems like a potentially tasty proposition. . lol

13. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,803
    Dunno bout the fish but the op sure is.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,679
    Good topic. You can usually tell when a fish isn't going to make it just by how you've hooked it or how long it takes to remove a hook. I caught a 21" halibut out of Carlsbad lagoon 2 weeks ago on a AA curly tail and jig head. The hook went through the fishs bottom eye real bad and as I removed the hook the fish started doing the death twitch. I knew he wasn't going to make if for no other reason than he can't see to catch prey. Anyway, I was tempted to keep the fish and call it a day but instead I revived him as best I could and watched him slowly swim away after bumping into several rocks. It's one of those grey areas you really can't do anything about as I'm sure the game warden wouldn't have sympathized with the whole situation. I think overall most fisherman do a great job of CNR and I think keeping a few fish to eat is fine too. Fish are pretty damn lucky we live in a politically correct world now days...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,102
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    I'd like to know more about this, too. And as mentioned by others, more about any study(s) showing that they're gonna die even if they swim away OK.

We all know that rockfish brought up from 100+' depths are gonna blow up. In my experience rockfish brought up from less than about 75' don't do that...but are they dead meat anyway?

I find some consolation when I think to myself, "something was going to eventually eat that SOB anyway."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,587
    Wow interesting read. Thought the fishing class and exam prior to getting a fishing license were off putting already, now you can only fish if you want to eat the fish... that effectively outlaws quite a lot of fishing opportunities.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,765
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    No trophy carp fishing in Germany I guess?
    Edit: according to this site, fishing in Germany could be accomplished for around 50$?
    Fishing in Germany within angler’s reach | Kaiserslautern American

#17 Werfless, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  18. jusbayz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Boat:
    Cobra Fish n Dive
    Good topic here for sure. I've always touted Spotties as a very robust fish when I've had guests w/ me out on the bays. They're seemingly one of the scrappier species out there, & often compared to freshwater Smallies for their grit. I've taken more than a few SBB pics, so my interest here is really peaked. Mainly 'cause I'm usually drifting the same water as a bunch of other guys & gals and I very seldom see a belly up floater. Maybe 1 in my last 9-10 forays. So, great opportunity for educating anglers on this one...I'd gladly settle for legal toad pics only if there's valid evidence to support the original post. Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  19. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,102
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    I once fished for zander from the banks of the Danube with a customer I was visiting in Austria. Luckily he is the town's Burgermeister, so no messy licensing business required there. Went great with some white wines he made off with from the local vineyard--'cause hey, he's the Burgermeister.

Also fished for cod off Jutland with a Danish coworker in a 14 foot skiff. Never even thought about licensing, nor our probably not-fully-legal take after drifting into Swedish waters. Of course that guy is basically a Viking. You can't license a Viking, that's crazy.

I can say, there was no releasing any fish in either situation, I think that concept is totally alien over there.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Hirame

Hirame BUTTHEAD
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,372
    What about all the brown trout in IB?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List