renewing registration for boat

Discussion in 'Boating & Boat Maintenance' started by nstd, Jan 2, 2019.

1. nstd

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +161
    my boat registration expired 12/17 of last year. I tried renewing it last year online, but the system says CF and VIN are invalid. Do i need to go into the DMV?

Also, i miss place my boat trailer registration. Do i also need to sort that out in the DMV?

2. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,851
    Name:
    Larry M
    I'd take your old boat and trailer registration to the DMV for proof of valid numbers.
    Try calling the 800 number for advice but be prepared to wait a long time before someone picks up the phone.
    Good luck.

3. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +636
    do you have AAA?

4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,598
    AAA can handle simple stuff fine. However I have had better luck making an appt and going to the dmv in person. And yeah you might not be able to get an appt at the office near your house.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. nstd

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +161

Thanks for reminding me! I have AAA

6. Fishing Fool

Fishing Fool Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Sorry to hear of your registration troubles. Dealing with them sometimes can prove to be much more of a headache than a reasonable and rational person would expect.

I had a preowned F-250 once that I had owned for a little over 6 years which been smog certified at least every two years. Every time it was inspected it passed the test and new tags were issued without any problems. That is until the smog technician performing the next certification test a couple of years later discovered that the documentation for the vehicle had a type-o on both the registration paperwork and my original sales contract and the vin plate on the truck didn’t match the any of the paperwork.

At least 3 other technicians missed this error as did the dealer I bought the truck from. I thought great what the heck do I do now. I’ve got an undocumented vehicle I can’t drive or sell now.

As it turned out fixing the problem wasn’t as bad as I had thought but still a hassle.

I went to the dmv and they set me up with the paperwork to take the vehicle to have the vin verified by a Hiway Patrol inspection center after which I needed to return to the dmv and they issued new documents with the corrected vin so I could then return and get the truck smoged.

At least for a boat you can cut out the two trips to the smog center.

Good luck, and here’s hoping that your experience may be better than mine.

Oh P.S. at the time AAA said they couldn’t do it for me I had to go to the DMV. Some of AAA’s policies have changed since then so it might be worth giving it a try first.

7. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,851
    Name:
    Larry M
    My son bought an open trailer to haul his toys to the desert. He got it registered but the person at the DMV wrote one number wrong on the serial numbers. He tried to sell it after a few years but couldn't because the paperwork didn't match the serial numbers on the frame. AAA couldn't help and he was trying to work it out with the DMV over the phone and going into the office. He wasn't getting any where so being unemployed I had him give me a bill of sell and I took it to the DMV and they physically looked at the paperwork and the numbers on the frame and registered the trailer in my name then I sold it for him. It was a good thing that he still had the old registration from the person who sold it to him with the right serial number on it to show the people at the DMV.
    Moral of the story check all your paperwork before leaving the DMV office.