Rentals at El Cap

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by VIPER, Mar 18, 2008.

1. VIPER

VIPER Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping to get out to El Cap on a Saturday sometime soon, but I'm going to need to use a rental. I know - the boats are small and weak, and the lake is huge, but I want to any way!

So, does anyone know if they have rentals on Saturdays, and maybe the earliest time I can rent one out?

Thanks guys - first post since the forums got moved.

Jacob

2. Dave I.

Dave I. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They have rentals, and you better be early if you want one, cause they go fast.

San Diego water website:
    "There is no longer a concession at El Capitan, so patrons must bring their state fishing license, bait, and all food and drink with them. The lake still has rowboats and boats and motors available to rent. To reserve all day motorboats, call 619-668-3274 Monday through Friday, 9:00 to 4:00. All other boats are available on a first come basis only. Lake staff will be selling all permits."
    Dave

3. frenchman

frenchman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    And make sure you bring cash. I usually fish El Cap during the week and just write a check at the iron ranger. When i went to get my permit at the dock the lady there said they don't take checks. Which i thought was a little weird. But she was kind enought to let me use a check but said to bring cash next time. I know, I know, it's weak to write a check for 10 bucks......

4. VIPER

VIPER Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info gents. Do you know if they let you take rentals out during the week days as well?

5. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    If there are open 7 days a week I would think so, or the days of the midweek they are open I would think you could rent them. Call them and find out, and let us know.

6. Str8t Slabaronies

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +834
    They rent Fri - Sun. Not on Thursday...just added Fridays.

Motor boats are think are 30 - $35.00. Row boats are &12.00.

7. Blackbaron

Blackbaron Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Make a reservation through the city phone line...gate opens at sunrise-ish but be prepared to wait in the line to get in...$35 is indeed the price of a boat with the egg beater.

8. VIPER

VIPER Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the info guys.

9. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Just be careful on shared fishing and water contact days which I think is on Sundays.Lots of Larger Ski Boats on those days going fast and throwing huge wakes that toss those smaller rental Boats around and it can get Pretty gnarly coming back to the Dock with the wind up and all those water contact boats Pulling the skiers making it feel like the ocean instead of a lake :) Some of those guys wizz by very close.;)