Report Cards?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by shadowdog3, Jun 25, 2008.

1. shadowdog3

shadowdog3 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What the heck is going on?:angry: Just reading the 2008 Saltwater fishing regs. We're going to need Report Cards for fishing the Piers and for fishing Lobsters? That suks!! Another Big Brother move. I don't see the need?

later,
    sd

2. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,475
    Lobster, yeah, gotta get a card now. The other finfish are almost never seen in local waters, much less caught from piers, so you won't need a report card for them. The only issue might be if you caught a steelhead or a sturgeon, and wanted to keep it. You'd need to understand the regs for those fish....and have a card with you. Otherwise, C&R....

There used to be loopholes for kids, pier fishermen and other folks not required to have a fishing license. No more loophole. The need for it is to get a more accurate count of the actual take of these species...since kids, pier fishermen, and guys who only fish on the free days didn't have to fill out counts.

Repeating..you don't need a report card for pier fishing...unless you're fishing for steelhead or sturgeon or lobster. If you catch either of the finfish as bycatch and don't have a report card, you can't keep it.

Quickly now..everyone who's caught a steelhead or a sturgeon, raise your hand. Okay, you guys better get those report cards if you plan on doing it again. Going lobstering from a pier? You'll need a card, too. Lifetime fishing license holders? You too.

The rest of you, carry on.

CK

From page 5 of the dfg regs:

New Report Card and Tagging Requirements
    The Fish and Game Commission has adopted new reporting and tagging requirements
    for recreational anglers. Report cards and tagging requirements apply for all fishermen
    when fishing for or taking the following species in the following areas:
    v Salmon, in the Klamath-Trinity River System only.
    v Steelhead trout, in all anadromous waters where take is authorized.
    v White sturgeon, in all areas where take is authorized. Tagging of retained
    individual sturgeon is also required.
    v Red abalone, in all areas where take is authorized. Tagging of retained individual
    abalone is also required.
    v California spiny lobster, in all areas where take is authorized.

Report Cards Are Now Required for Children, Pier Fishermen, and
    on Free Fishing Days
    Any person fishing for or taking the above five species is required to have the
    appropriate report card in their possession. Specifically, this report card requirement
    is for all persons including but not limited to persons under 16 years of age, those
    fishing from a public pier, those fishing on free fishing days, and lifetime fishing
    licensee holders.

3. halibut_slayer99

halibut_slayer99 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    yea i just herd about that stupid report card **** fishing is ****ing free thats how i look at it i need ****ing foooood

4. Hunt n Fish

Hunt n Fish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The cards are in!!!

5. shadowdog3

shadowdog3 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Upon further reading I see your point. Lobsters are going to affect me. In all good faith I can not go along with this new requirement.
    I think they have enough data on the catch, just look at the reports on line. I know not down to the tenth of a fish but close enough for government work(pun intended).

later,
    sd

6. PAL

PAL New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all. The state has good info on the commercial lobster catch. Recreational take has skyrocketed. Most are caught at night, when the DFG's catch survey people that hang out on busy launch ramps are long gone. And internet reports? You can't believe anything you read on the internet.

The lobster resource is healthy - very much so - and has been for years but that's due to intensive management. The DFG knows recreationals are catching more bugs, but they don't know how many, hence the card.

I love to catch and eat lobsters. The card is an inconvenience, but I'm all for maintaining the resource so I will happily comply.

7. atfish

atfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe this will stop the lobster poaching on the piers. Probanly not though..:(

8. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +144
    don't see the problem at all. If you've ever fished up north for steelhead or salmon you know you need a report card, has been and always will be a fact of life, no big deal. Same in Alaska, if you take a king you need to punch your card if you plan to keep it. Don't hear too much complaining when I'm up there, I think we So Cal angles have been pretty fortunate for a longtime and now it is just going to become a part of our life when lobstering. Thats not so bad.

9. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I bet DFG will have people out this coming Lobster season checking to see if people have these cards.

The only local place that I know that has sturgeon is Cuyamaca, I have not heard of any in our local waters. It's too bad though, these things are so much fun to catch.

It's all about asking us fisher people to help keep good counts on our sport. Like it or not it's not worth being ticketed over.

10. fishpaddy

fishpaddy Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see cards coming for T-sharks in the future also.