Retrieval technique for bass

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Deep river blues, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Deep river blues

Deep river blues Active Member

Ratings:
    +7
    When fishing your basic curly tail lure for spotties ( Zmans, AA), I’ve been told by several to work it very slow and that includes dragging it through the weeds. Does that mean crawling it and keeping contact with the bottom? I’m having trouble with bringing in weeds every cast, whether fishing the rocks or sand, I don’t hear of this issue with others so perhaps I’m doing it wrong. That’s with a 1/4 oz bullet weight, Texas rigged weedless. Can someone set me straight on the proper retrieve? I’ve read the stickies and many other articles, but the specifics of the retrieval is the one sticking point for me. Thanks!

2. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,937
    I’ve been fishing the AA 4” curlytail on 3/8 head exclusively, when I fish shore in SD bay. The last 3-4 years. Shelter isl dock fishing for the most part, but have done well with the same jig in surf, and misc areas from the bank in both Mission, and SD bay. I’m after halibut for the most part, with spot bass and sand bass being by catch. Along with sculpin, mackerel, and misc Smelt etc.. for me, I’m looking for sand bottom that I can bump my jig, or just 6” off the bottom on a slow roll , or sweep your rod so the bait is just off bottom while reeling to keep it at that bottom area. Again, I’m not after spot bass, but I still have fun whackin em. I’m after the flat guys, so that is what has produced for me. Last year was very consistent for halibut, catching 8 keepers, and keeping 6. This year with same bait , same area, and same technique, has resulted in 4 short halibut, and dozens of spot bass. Not sure what happened, but my Butt hole has disappeared... sure miss my butt hole..... ehh bass are fun, and it’s always a beautiful day in SD for fishin.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,251
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Over the years have tried just about every combination conceivable , Seems like they will hit most combinations . My favorite for the bays is a 4 inch curly tail on a 3/8 oz scrounger type jig , I don't know if its the blade that makes the difference or what , they just don't seem to pick up as much grass or get stuck in the rocks as much . I have heads that are absolutely smashed flat on the front from hitting the rocks also the hooks sharpened down so far there is barely a barb left . Very slow retrieve most of the time pulling it right on top / through the grass . It does help to dope the current and pull it through the direction the grass is laying . Most people I have tried to show the ropes to have a hard time with just how light most of the hits are , when you feel that "TICK" set the hook . Good Luck Keep at it . WR

4. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    When using a Texas rigged curl tail grub I always use the lightest weight I can get away with and rig the grub so the tail curls down and the hook is up. As the bait swims the bait has much more action going through the grass since it forms a straight line. If you rig it the other way the high hump kills the action and the tail won’t swim. Lay a grub flat on a table and pull it along, with the curl up and curl down and you will see what I mean. I also like to use those little rubber stops that come on a wire loop so you can transfer them to your line and use one of those to keep my bullet weight firmly against the hook.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  5. Robo1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +639
    I target halibut which I usually wind up catching a lot of spotties. I use the drop shot method with curly tails 6 to 8 inches above a 2 OZ torpedo sinker. I retrieve my line just a bit more than a slow roll and get more halibut that way. Whenever I think I have weeds I bring it up and clear the bait and get it back as quickly as possible. I wish I knew how to fish live bait for the halibut better? I've done really well with the curly tails more than the paddles. I've learned to try new spots and not waste a lot of time if there is no bites available. I'm in my yak with my eyes on the sonar looking for sandy bottoms and structure. If the tide is right I will drift with the current. Now I'm grounded from wishing due to falling off a ladder by my DR. Good luck and keep it wet. Robo

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    You need to find a new doctor

7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    I feel your pain.
    Fishing from shore I just don't bother with eelgrass beds. Much.
    If I can find the edge of a grass bed and work the lure along the clean sand, the fish will come and get it...if they are actively feeding. Other time they are just hiding in the grass playing with their xbox or whatever slacker fish do. But they'll pause the game if a lure comes ticking across the top of the grass. Most times the eelgrass is too thick to work a lure through on the bottom...the angles are all working against you fishing from shore.
    Wading at Mariner's Basin sometimes works ...sometimes...because you can see the edges of the grass beds or even bare sandy spots five ot ten feet wide and bounce or drag the lure along the bottom.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    I've seen and heard of many ways to retrieve. I don't think there is a sure technique. I use a 1/4 to 1/2 oz weedless jighead with a chartreuse curly tail minnow or grub no special rig. Just tie it on. Gulp! minnows work great with Warbaits, Z-,Man, or whatever I can get my hands on. I do a slow retrieve... A couple turns of the reel while at the same time lifting the tip up or an occasional pop of the rod and couple turns of the reel. Work it low and slow through the eel grass. Let it drop. I get nibbles and bites on the drop. When the fish aren't commiting, I'll move in search of fish that want to play. Fan your casts out to get more coverage rather than fishing in the same spot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Xolaris

Xolaris midshipman fisher
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +914
    You can get bit so many different ways to be honest. Just mix it up, dead stick your bait, swim your bait, pop your bait, the list goes on, all of them work. Certain lures work better with a specific technique than others. But generally they all work, i got bit last night soaking my lure with no movement.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. fishinmike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,228
    Boat:
    Pro angler
    The majority of the time I use a round jig head. Weight varies with the strength of the current. I like pop my rod up when I feel it hit the grass. If I pull up brown grass, I move to another hole. Typically I thread the bait on with the hook following the curvature of the hook. I believe it swims different than if the hook is perpendicular to the tail. Just like all techniques, you have to keep fishing it until you build confidence. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,204
    I’m the kind of guy who loves fishing in the thickest of weedbeds, and I can normally bring my bait back with no weeds. When I do bring weeds back, it’s always collected by where the line meets the head. I never expose the hook point, those who do will be sorry in the weeds. Please don’t be that guy ;)
    Honestly, you can retrieve it anyway you prefer, it’s not the type of retrieve that determines weeds coming back, it’s the line between you and the bait. As you retrieve, anything loose will collect along the line and as the bait nears it clumps up at the jighead in the knot area. If you are getting stuck below the surface, either your hook is exposed or you just happen to find the heaviest junk. When you fish in the mess it will never be smooth. But you will have a better chance at nailing fish than the angler who fishes above the weeds. That’s why I fish the heavy weeds. Just my .02

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +225
    I’m not sure from your post if you are fishing from shore are a boat, kayak or float tube. If you are floating then just move to the edge of the eel grass like others have suggested especially if you can't keep from getting a weed ball back on every cast. If from shore, then a T-Rig is more weedless than a jig head but don’t get locked into one bait. Swimbaits, crankbaits and spinner baits can run just above the eel grass and that is an effective technique. Many predator species like to attack from below. I’ve done very well casting and running baits just above the eel grass. Keep experimenting and learning. It’s all part of the adventure.

mick

#12 mick, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,514
    Slow roll...but once I start feeling weeds and grass I lift my rod tip and reel faster

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. TekAngler

TekAngler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Doesn't seem like anyone uses the drop shot rig in the salt the way it's really meant to be used. Use your drop shot with a worm, tube bait, creature or something else with a lot of action, cast into the grass, leave it there and just jig your rod to give the lure more action. Make sure the lure is high enough above the weight to match the grass conditions. Also works right at the base of the rocks along the bays for any fish that's hiding in there. Use as light a weight and thinnest line possible. Cast, let it hit bottom, jig many times...retrieve weight closer, repeat.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List