Retrieving Surface Irons -Speeds

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by kyle12345, Jul 12, 2018.

1. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,926
    Name:
    Kyle
    I will be blunt, I suck at surface irons. I can cast with my lexa pretty ok (not great), but when I retrieve I do not get bit while the folks around me are rocking it. What are some of the speeds that folks use while retrieving the surface iron? Do you ever stop while retrieving?

Thank you!

2. silentONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +517
    I retrieve it in which it is kicking side to side properly. I use a Tady AA a lot on 1/2 day boats and I either 1.) retrieving it as a surface iron, 2.) varying water depths and let it drop and flutter until I retrieve it steady, or 3.) let it drop and flutter, retrieve, drop and flutter, retrieve, etc. It all depends on what attracts the fish any given day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  3. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Picasso of Stupid
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,546
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    All you need to do is eyeball the jig you have while reeling it in for the largest kick possible. Once you find that you’re golden for the most part. The other thing is watching birds.. the fish are always under the birds. Look for the ones that are kinda floating and bobbing down while traveling at a slower pace. Their waiting for a fish to push some bait up to the surface so they cane pick up some bait.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  4. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,987
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    It all depends on the jig. Every iron is different. I have some that kick best when slow (good calico jigs) and some that kick better when reeled fast.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,121
    Name:
    Ray
    Check your jigs. Looks for jigs with the line end hole off center (not in the center of the jig) and the same with the jig hips (not across from each other). The more offset they are the better they will kick out. You can take a Philips screw driver and oblong the hole to help. Like Carter said, even jigs from the same manufacture will vary from jig to jig.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  6. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,750
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    You may need to slow it down fishing that lexa. Depending on which one you have they are something like 7:1 or 8:1 right? So even if you don't feel like you are winding that fast, the reel might be taking in line too quick for the jig to do it's thing. Just something to think about.

Are you looking at how its swimming as you get it closer to the boat? Is it kicking back and forth? If not, try slowing it down if you feel like you are reeling it in too fast. If it is kicking back and forth, then like Fat Spottie said, you probably need to work on sitting back, observing, and placing your cast in the highest percentage place you can. Instead of blindly casting and retrieving. Really try and watch the jig when you can see it and notice how it swims (and change it up to see how it does at different speeds). With the level wind you have the advantage to not have to pay attention to laying line at first, so you can focus on your jig. Even if it looks like it is swimming good and kicking try changing it up to see what it does. I have had jigs where they look to be swimming great. But I tired slowing it down a bit more and have gotten some extra big erratic kicks out of doing so.

Take note of what jigs the guys are throwing that are getting bit. Maybe they are different size that what you have tied on and that is what the fish want.

Depending on what jigs you are using there is the very real possibility that you just have a one tied on that flat out won't swim.

When you do get bit, remember that jig/mark it as a swimmer.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
    • List
  7. zoner

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,432
    Name:
    Mike
    You want your surface iron to swim(kick) but not spin. If it's spinning normally you need to slow down your retrieve. Watch your jig, it'll tell you what you need to do

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +609
    Lots of good suggestions have been offered so far.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It's possible that your jig is a dud. Sadly, it happens more often than any of us would like. You can vary your retrieve speed all you want, but if the jig sucks, it's not gonna swim right. I've heard that JRI jigs have a good reputation as being reliable swimmers right off the rack. I just bought a few, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,926
    Name:
    Kyle
    Thanks guys! Great suggestions.

10. Graydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +427
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    Good advice. I am pretty new to jigs, I feel like I have done pretty well getting my Tady c's dialed in but I struggle with colt snipers. I feel like mine never look like they are swimming well when I am retrieving them. I was using a 100gram, should they be a fast retrieve, slow retrieve?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,926
    Name:
    Kyle
    I feel like I see guys burning them on the surface.. I have had luck letting them sit 10 or 20 seconds and a moderate retrieve.

12. Rook

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +950
    Colt snipers swim better with a slight bend in them. They are actually pretty soft and you should be able to bend them with just your hands or hold them in a bench vise and tap gently with a rubber mallet.... It does not take much bend to make them swim good

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +609
    I've also had success with moderate retrieve, both with the brand name Shimanos, and with the other brands of similar style. Depending on the bite, I let them sink first, but sometimes I just start cranking when it hits the water.

I'm totally interested in the whole "bending the jig" idea. I'm definitely going to give that a try. Thanks for the tip, Rook!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,750
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Moderate retrieve. And I agree 100%. Put a little bend in them. Don't get crazy just a bit of a bend right in the middle. I put them on the edge of the rail and with both hands I use my palms on the ends of the jig and just push slightly til it starts to bend then stop. Just a slight curve as close to the middle as I can get.

I originally did it just because my buddy told me to. And since he is a fishing machine I just didn't question it. But I feel like it just gives it that little bend which in turn gives it a little extra strange action. Same idea as the offset hips or ring hole on an iron. Will also allow it to stand out from the others in the water with a slightly different action. Thats my theory anyway. If it works that way, who knows? I get bit with them, if its the bend or not I don't really care as it hasn't seemed to hurt any, that is all i would ever really care about.

15. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +824
    I'm a Tady 45 guy, friggin love those jigs. I like the jigs with a blunt nose and a blunt tail on the jig, some are rounded and I don't like those as much. I don't care about the holes, hips etc.

Speed is hard because how fast the lure is moving through the water and how fast you're reeling are two different things. Feel comes into play a lot for me because if you're casting down drift/current and brining it back you'll need to wind faster than if you're casting up drift/current and bringing it back.

For me the retrieval method is just a straight methodical retrieve. I wouldn't categorize it as fast or slow but it's consistent. Just whip it out there as far as you can and bring it back. Sometimes I'll let it sink out a bit but that's as tricky as I get.

Casting location can be important. If you're fishing inshore be looking for kelp, bait, birds etc. sometimes the fish are keyed into a certain area and hitting the right stringer gets a bit or sometimes theres birds checking out the bait and giving away the fish, sometimes you want to cast upswell and working it back etc. there's little clues every time you go out that should be paid attention to but of course sometimes it doesn't matter.

Tady 9's or Ironman 3's are my favorite heavier metal jig to cast and retrieve like a Coltsniper. Again sometimes I'll let it sink but most of the time it's in gear by the time it hits the water. It's just a straight retreieve again but fairly quick, I like to get those heavier jigs moving.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. AWilliams

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +178
    I've found that if I start retrieving immediately when the jig hits the water...it's breaching the surface and skipping. If I count to 3 and start the retreive...the jig stays under water better for better action.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. GKR1

GKR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I though colt snipers were designed to be fished like butterflies and flutter on the drop and fast retrieve through water column. Or cast directly in the boil and start retrieve right away to skip and get bit. This how is I use them, I do change hook on them to single in line type. By bending them you might lose flutter on drop.

OP, lots of great info. Your reel is high speed, slow down. My Penn 25n for irons has 4.8:1 gears in it. At 6:1 I had to slow it down.

#17 GKR1, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    Depends what jig your fishing, all is cut different, some fish like a slower presentation some like a constant med retrieve some like it fast, areas your fishing goes along ways as well, wind, current all goes with your retrieve as well.

19. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Just burn it! The Lexa has a smaller diameter spool compared to standard conventional reels so it’ll have a lower IPT(inches per turn). That doesn’t mean you won’t get bit reeling slow either. Change your speed throughout your retrieve.

20. andrewjlasky

andrewjlasky Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Hey Kyle,

I’d throw a OCT or a JRI 3. No need to look for off center holes and uneven hips. All the jigs are exactly the same, and they all swim. IMO why waste money on a jig that you might as well throw over the rail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List