Ribeyes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobber, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9

My wife bought me a low sodium cook book with spices and rubs. The book is 500 low sodium recipes by Dick Logue. Bought it at Barnes&Noble. =^..^=

2. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,786
    Straight cracked pepper
    I do use lemon pepper for salads and tuna melts

For citrus, I cut lemon and orange wedges and let them dry out. Zest them with a micro plane after a couple days

3. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Use a pepper mill or grinder. =^..^=

4. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,786
    I prefer using a mill, I’ve seen prefilled plastic grinders in the store. Helps keep your pepper fresh ...

Cracked pepper is too tangy for my kids, so I use pre-ground pepper on their eats

5. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,414
    Boat:
    Montauk
    All this talk of ribeyes and pepper has me thinking about a bistro classic -- steak au poivre. Get that cast iron skillet nice and hot! Sublime...

6. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9

Is horseradish mustard to strong for your steaks? Use it on hamburgers and meat loaf. =^..^=

7. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,786
    Horseradish sauce would be great over steak atop rough mashed potatoes or a wild salad.

That sounds fantastic !

Tonight it’s soy/ginger/garlic/7-up chicken breast...

#27 Chriwilson, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  8. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Some of you might be interested in The Science Of Salt and the links therein. Also, how many of you did know that "salary" originates from "salt"? As for rubbing with oil and other fats don't be fooled that it actually penetrates the meat, is is just like a spread on your meat. Meathead actually do recommend trimming the excessive surface/outside fat Myth: A Melting Fat Cap Penetrates Meat.

9. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Yesterday visited San Diego, CA (Mira Mesa Blvd.) | ALDI US and they still have great deals for the store opening. You might be interested in thin-sliced beef chuck at $1.99/lbs probably good for carne asada if interested. The package contains as I remember three large flats about 1/2" thick, some with really great fat marble-like mosaic that would grill really fast. I also cannot recommend enough a good digital thermometer typically with two probes. This will greatly eliminate your guessing how to setup your two-zone grilling and when the meat is ready for searing if you do this. Tried also sous-vide plus BBQ searing and this also works well, just it takes too long time to cook.

10. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,786
    Thanks for the information plako

For clarification the oil is not intended to penetrate, rather to act as a binder for the rub during marination and also to assist with the meat lifting from the grill.

When I slow cook anything with a large fat cap, it’s a must to trim that down, not so much for flavor but for temp control :emoji_call_me:

Sous vide is a great technique and time saver that I like for pork or lamb lollys

11. ColdEye

ColdEye Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Thanks for the info, finally aldis is open.

Sous vide is a really good way to cook as long as you plan ahead of time. My favorite (besides steak) to cook using sous vide is fried chicken. Sous vide it with your choice of spices/marinade and batter with corn flour and fry em up. Similar to karaage ( japanes style Fried chicken).

12. 858NOVICE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +340
    Stater Bros for all my meats and poultry, cant beat the price and quality. Normally the sale for meat starts on Wednesday's thru Tuesdays.

13. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Yes, you are correct and Meathead frequently uses it for his rubs. You also got right the salt usage but some may benefit from more details on the described action and proper dosage for different types of salt.

14. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Agree but to my taste without the final searing on the BBQ just sous-vide is not that great, thus I always do sous-vide-que as Meathead called it.

15. ColdEye

ColdEye Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Agree 100% on the sear. There is a device called a searzsal that is pretty cool. A regular blow torch for creme brulee also work.

16. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,786
    I always start with the sear then move everything over to grill around 300*

Tonight is all about the ribeye ...
    1AE44E70-EBC9-4E58-A752-58ED02A68007.jpeg

Start on the right side of the grill, then move it over to the left on low...
    03573DB2-666A-4AEC-8BCA-017BDC3BC79A.jpeg 4FA5BF5B-933B-4527-A1E5-B858A40430BB.jpeg
    DB946C3C-2ADB-46B9-9F22-12097912C3A0.jpeg

#36 Chriwilson, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  17. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
  18. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Blow torch for creme brulee?! I used to make 300 cups daily at a fast-food restaurant in my early student's years, all stacked in backing pans on six racks in a commercial oven. The recipe? 200 eggs, 30 liters milk, 9 kilograms sugar of which 2.5 was melted to brown (not burned black, add some drops water to slow the process) and poured in the aluminum cups before adding well-stirred other ingredients. Then I had to watch and add water in the water baths to avoid boiling that would make bubbles in the creme which would make it scrap since this was not acceptable in the final product. The brown spots on the top came naturally because it was further from the water bath. Imagine, so much sugar... That's why my aluminum cups collected dust for so many years.

#38 plako, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  19. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,535
    The sale is still on. I don't like Von's ribeyes so I go to Albertsons. That and there isn't a Von's near the sticks. I go to the Albertsons by Viejas. The steaks I got at that price were awesome. I did a bit of trimming on a couple of them. I just use salt, pepper, and some garlic then top them with mushrooms.

The sale is still on so I am going back. Really wish I had a bigger freezer.

20. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,982
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I picked up some from Ralphs. Haven't tried them yet. So much talk about steaks on a fishin site. Crazy:)