Rig rollcall (What's everybody using?)

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Big_Iner, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Big_Iner

Big_Iner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Just wanted to check out some others set ups and see how it works for you. I'll start off utubu5e6.jpg
    Drives like a dream , I used to roll with the old school round deal the prowler is boss ,compared to it
    9agezu4y.jpg
    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,474
    e7upura5.jpg

asy4azab.jpg

ysutamer.jpg

emyjyryg.jpg

Nothin beats a fishcat. My rack design is a little crude, but it works for what I need. Big bear has a really cool set up on his that I'm going to copy. I'll see if I can get him to post up some pics of his setup.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    I just rock a Cumberland, nothing special or trick. I had a caddis round one for years and miss it every day. Way better maneuverability in a round one, with less drag on the water when trying to turn while fighting fish and such. And the rod storage is bogus on the Cumberlands. I don't like my rods vertical when I tube I like them flat across the tube. But the Cumberland seat, and pocket/storage space make those long days much easier.

old rig

DSC04525.jpg

b1_zpscbed8401.jpg

4. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    Also wasn't a fan of these Caddis Nevada series ones I think they are called.
    110514_065457.jpg

And a few pics of the new rig. Fits just right haha.

cucumber_zps0304be68.jpg

b1_zpse2213865.jpg

bcage1_zps1cf08a52.jpg

bcage_zps7e14a348.jpg

bcage3_zpsb0fea3e4.jpg

bcage2_zpsf470a2fc.jpg

5. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,474
    That's funny as hell. I used to have those exact same waders and Nevada tube. Both worked good. I like the breathable waders now, but the Nevada did fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    I borrowed that tube for the day to loan mine to a buddy. I always felt like I was sliding out of that one in particular. Nice tube, decent storage, rod storage was great but I was always readjusting in the seat and pushing myself back. I dig the paint job on the FC. Looks really good. I considered doing that to the red tube awhile back.

I will eventually step up to breathable waders, but at the price and abuse they might see, I might as well spend low $$$ and just replace them as they blow but who knows.

7. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,474
    Thanks sticky. Now that I think about it, my nevada had seat issues too. The camo i did was super easy on the fishcat, but only lasts about one season. the paint is almost all gone now. I'll be doing it again soon. Cheap, and looks country.

You can get decent breathables from $75-$85.

8. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    I might have too look into that. My old Caddis is still in use today actually lol, I gave it to a buddy to get into tubing, and he's stoked on it. It could probably use a paint job seeing as how that thing is going on like 7-8 hard years of use haha. It's seen Big B, Sutherland, Murray and Miramar, the Otays, Bays etc... Loved that thing.

Yea the seat thing really bothered me. I never was completely at peace while fishing. Other than that it was a nice rig, they do float kinda low to the water though. The red tube and the Cumberland definitely have a more ideal ride height IMO.

And that's a deal, that's what I pay for neoprene pairs.

9. Big_Iner

Ratings:
    +28
    My waders are beat to hell they recently started leaking I'm going to need a new pair also, sounds like a pretty good deal

10. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,474
    Search 'caddis affordable waders' on amazon. ebay etc. I'll stand by those all day long. I DID notice that BPS and cabellas have similar waders that are even cheaper, but some of the online reviews arent so good. Neoprene is great in the fall/winter, especially in salty, but come summer time I was dying when i had mine. Way too hot.

ps. just noticed my avatar pic was when i had the nevada gold.

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,996
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Starting my third year in my Cumberland. I initially chose it because it was rated for 350 lbs. Since then I have discovered a couple other advantages. The double-zippered compartments are really easy to get into, one-handed. I also like having a spreader bar with the connected apron.

I don't have any pics of my ride but it looks just like Sticky's, only more faded. Here is one "improvement" I added. I transferred the measurements to the spreader bar:

sdfish054_zpseb9b1557.jpg

12. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    I like the idea on the spreader bar. I also chose it for the weight rating and it feels like you could float Noah's Arc to China on it. I also second the pockets. Easy access and lots of space and 2 cup holders haha. I love the netting behind the seat as well, perfect for a cooler or what ever you might be toting with you.

13. Big_Iner

Ratings:
    +28
    I'd probably not spend the 560 for the prowler but I got it cheap barely used,with a bunch of accessories I'd have to go with a FC or the CL if I had to get another for sure

14. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    Give me a regular ole doughnut any day of the week.

15. ryan2421

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +92
    I took Nutes advice with the caddis breathable waders and I love um. I also bought some booties to go over the socks and I've never had a problem with them. Plenty comfortable. Not too hot or cold. Just right and reasonable priced.

16. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +610
    I guess I'm just the opposite from you guys. I started off in the donut, moved "up" to a u-boat, and now ride'n high and dry on the big green machine! lol I don't miss sitting low in the water at all!

image-2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    If I could find one or the company contact stuff, I'd love to own a Fishmaster Ranger 300. Cover is made of kevlar and camo colored. Very old school and one of the originals. The ultimate doughnut. The company was based out of Oklahoma but they seem to have dried up.

18. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +619
    I have fished round, u, and v style tubes as well as neoprene and breathable waders and an assortment of different style of fins. They all have there advantages and disadvantages. I do prefer breathable waders to neoprene ones here in southern California and the best fins I have found so far are Force Fins. Here is a shot of me in my Caddis at the Big B.

Big_B_Tube.jpg

19. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    Force fins x2 for sure.

20. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,996
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I only tried one other pair of fins before I acquired Force Fins. They were the Aqua Lung scuba fins. The difference was significant. The old fins caused my feet to ache terribly after only a couple hours, and my legs would cramp up causing horrible pain! Other that that they were great! ;)

Force Fins had none of the undesirable side effects. BTW, got mine for $40.

#20 fisheromen, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2015